HAL Zaandam Airport Transfer in Vancouver

Pboyd

I am disembarking Zaandam in Vancouver on 09/11/24.  The ship supposedly docks at 7:00 AM, and I have booked Holland America airport transportation for my flight at 11:40 AM.  I have talked to two HAL customer service persons this evening, and they cannot give me any assurance on what time I might be able to board a bus.  On a Rotterdam (ship) cruise I was on earlier this summer, passengers were assigned to one of three scheduled departures depending on when their flights were scheduled, but that does not seem to be the case now. All the reps could tell me is that busses would start service between 8:30 and 9:00 AM.  If there are lines at the busses, and having to go through check-in, customs and security, would I be sure to make my 11:40 flight, or would I be better off getting my luggage ASAP and grabbing a cab?

Thanks for any advice!

They will start boarding the buses earlier than that...closer to 7:30. But the bus will wait to be filled.

If you look on the West Coast Departures board, 11:40 is a bit tight, but doable. It is better to arrange your own transport, or take the light rail.

Is this a case of you booked your flight before knowing the time issues?

Posted (edited)

There will be a lot of taxis available outside Canada Place and this option would be much less fuss than a HAL transfer. If you can deal with all your luggage yourself, you can keep your luggage in your cabin and walk off the ship anytime after 7:30 or 8am with "Expedited Disembarkation". 

Edited by SilvertoGold

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

They will start boarding the buses earlier than that...closer to 7:30. But the bus will wait to be filled.

If you look on the West Coast Departures board, 11:40 is a bit tight, but doable. It is better to arrange your own transport, or take the light rail.

1 minute ago, Pboyd said:

Yes, but I booked the cruise and the flight through my travel agent.  Thanks for your help!

38 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

There will be a lot of taxis available outside Canada Place and this option would be much less fuss than a HAL transfer. If you can deal with all your luggage yourself, you can keep your luggage in your cabin and walk off the ship anytime after 7:30 or 8am with "Expedited Disembarkation". 

Two weeks ago, I took an RCCL bus transfer from Canada Place to the airport. They would not sell it unless your flight was noon or after. Our flight was 12:20PM but delayed until 12:50PM. We boarded the bus around 9:30; at the airport we waited in holding area about 10 minutes as there was no place at the terminal to unload. Then check in, tossing your checked bag on the conveyor belt, security, followed by US Immigration. We were at the gate at 11:15.

Making your flight could be done but there are a lot of things that could go wrong. I recommend taking a taxi in your situation.

1 hour ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Two weeks ago, I took an RCCL bus transfer from Canada Place to the airport. They would not sell it unless your flight was noon or after. Our flight was 12:20PM but delayed until 12:50PM. We boarded the bus around 9:30; at the airport we waited in holding area about 10 minutes as there was no place at the terminal to unload. Then check in, tossing your checked bag on the conveyor belt, security, followed by US Immigration. We were at the gate at 11:15.

Making your flight could be done but there are a lot of things that could go wrong. I recommend taking a taxi in your situation.

Facts bearing on the issue. 

• Ship may be delayed docking if more than one ship in port.
  • Passengers with severe medical issues will disembark first to meet waiting ambulance.
  • All taxis are one-way only (pick up at cruise terminal and return empty with roundtrip more than one hour).
  • The self-disembarkation line often begins forming around 6:00 AM.
  • The self-disembarkation line should START moving around 7:30 AM.
  • Self-disembarkation passengers from other ships will also be in the taxi line.

It is my experience from May 2024 (Nieuw Amsterdam) that most of the self-disembarkation passengers were off the ship and probably in the taxi waiting line when my first HAL bus group was called to leave the ship around 8:20 AM.  Riding the HAL bus and with both a first class ticket and Global Entry, I saved about 30 minutes in waiting lines and was seated at my gate around 10:30 AM for my 1:42 PM flight.

An 11:40 AM flight is possible but more probable if you are one of the first passengers in the ship's self-disembarkation line and near the front of the taxi waiting line.  Be aware that there will be growing lines of passengers in the airline check-in, Security screening, and US Immigration lines the later your airport arrival time is delayed. 

I'd take a taxi, which usually takes 35 min or so, although on a Wednesday morning it might be longer, since you have to take city streets, suburban streets, and a highway to YVR. Waterfront Station is across the street and you just tap a credit card at the entrance and you don't have to worry about traffic, just pre-plan your route so you know which line and train to take. I never take a cruise line transfer, because it's not only more expensive than an Uber or taxi, particularly in Vancouver, but you'll suffer through frustration all along the way--the bus might be late, it's a zoo in the bus loading zone under Canada Place, you have to load a lot of people, many infirm, their tons of luggage, and you can't leave until they fill the bus, which is just infuriating if you have a flight to catch. You could be at the airport in a taxi before your bus even leaves the terminal. Going from YVR to Vancouver is even better by taxi, since they have a flat rate of $35 CAD, but the metered fare will be similar. Remember, you also have to pass through US customs at YVR before going back to the US, I believe, and Ii remember having a very long walk from my plane to customs the last time I went through YVR. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A question for @Pboyd. How many other ships will be docking with you? Three years ago, I was on a Vista and there was a huge NCL ship also at the terminal. I was in a queue for a taxi for almost an hour because the other ship got their people out faster. I had a late flight, so I wasn't worried, just annoyed at having to stand around for so long. Last month, my ship was the only one docked there. Canadian Immigration is easy with kiosks (and if your last port was Victoria BC you won't have to do that). I had to stop only long enough to hand in the little receipt from the kiosk. Other than that, once I had my bags, I didn't stop walking until I got to a taxi. Completely different experience! So if you're going to have another ship with you and want to take a taxi, definitely do the self-debarkation.

If you want to use Sky Train, you have to walk about two blocks to get to the correct entrance. The entrance near the terminal does not take you to the Canada Line, which is the line that goes to the Airport. 

waterfront_station_elevator_map.pdf (translink.ca)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1