HAL and Carnival at HMC together - Does this ever happen?

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Well, truth be told I’m not holding my breath on a pier being finished in 2025 either. And I highly doubt excel ships will call on HMC until they can physically dock. 

Sure the Beards brag about the new pier at every single quarterly report to the SEC, but I stopped trusting long ago. SEC press releases are nothing more than heavy advertising spun carefully, but its spun.

I can’t find any evidence that construction has started using google earth or google maps. Perhaps someone has a better satellite program to give an idea where construction stands.

See this post by @SUESEABE. The video she found shows work on the pier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Little San Salvador island(HMC) is about 2400 acres. Only about 10- 15 % of the island is developed. I'm pretty sure they'll have enough room to build a dock and resort on the other side of the island to operate independently to service multiple ships.

4 hours ago, lfmheb said:

Little San Salvador island(HMC) is about 2400 acres. Only about 10- 15 % of the island is developed. I'm pretty sure they'll have enough room to build a dock and resort on the other side of the island to operate independently to service multiple ships.

"It has since developed 50 acres (200,000 m2) of the 2,400-acre (9.7 km2) island, with the stated goal of maintaining as much habitat as possible for wildlife. The island is also a significant nesting area for waterfowl. The island does not have deep water docking, requiring the use of tenders for cruise ship passengers to disembark and embark..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_San_Salvador_Island

"Again, sharing private islands simultaneously among brands is the industry standard."

On HMC, Hal staff bring food ashore from the ship so that you don't have to return to the ship for lunch.   I assume that does not happen on other private islands that are shared among brands.

27 minutes ago, Ottawa traveller said:

"Again, sharing private islands simultaneously among brands is the industry standard."

On HMC, Hal staff bring food ashore from the ship so that you don't have to return to the ship for lunch.   I assume that does not happen on other private islands that are shared among brands.

Yes, it happens. Seamlessly. Sharing facilities on private islands is the industry standard. 

@Overhead Fred wow- thanks for sharing that link. Pictures are worth 1,000 words. I will own being wrong about the progress of the pier- it’s much farther along than I expected. 

The video overheadfred

linked to shows that the pier is practically connected to beach which currently has clam shells/cabanas. 

I tried to grab a screenshot from the video. The photo with my jangy arrow shows proximity to where the ships currently anchor. Looks close to me. 

The plans state that the pier can accommodate up to two excel class ships. I’ve sailed on excel class ships (you know, the one with a roller coaster on the top lol). That means excess of 10k people on a given day. Many of them kids. I suspect an inflatable water park in the bay is inevitable as it pops up in a single day and is a nice moneymaker. I’m tempted to book a bus run Caribbean trip just to visit hmc one last time before the pier is completed. 

Given the video, I will be shocked if they separate the HaL folks from the Carnival folks as has been suggested in this thread. Absolutely shocked (but I have been wrong before). I see no reason HAL would continue to tender with a brand new pier just a few hundred yards away. 

IMG_5484.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Oh wow. Thanks for the screenshots. Sadly, another bit of paradise about to be defiled by man.  For some reason, I thought they’d be dredging the current pier and extending it.  It looks like the area they are building in will be more open to the elements, which may impact its usefulness.  Oh well.  I enjoyed it when.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Oh wow. Thanks for the screenshots. Sadly, another bit of paradise about to be defiled by man.  For some reason, I thought they’d be dredging the current pier and extending it.  It looks like the area they are building in will be more open to the elements, which may impact its usefulness.  Oh well.  I enjoyed it when.

I could be wrong but I suspect that we have better chance of getting ashore at a port with a pier  when compared to a tender port?

The pier at cocoa cay isn’t protected (although I don’t recall the direction it faces). The success rate of stopping ar cocoa cay increased dramatically with addition of the port.