Royal Caribbean orders more from Meyer Turku, MSC Cruises negotiates series of record-breaking ships

DaniMSCRoyal_85

A fourth Icon-class ship has been commissioned by the American corporation (with two further options) while the Geneva-based Aponte group is negotiating new constructions of 270,000 tons

The hunger for new cruise ship orders from the big players in the sector continues unabated and the Finnish shipyard Meyer Turku is now also filling up on new orders.

Royal Caribbean Group has just announced that it has signed an agreement to order a fourth Icon-class ship to be delivered to Royal Caribbean International in 2027. The contract also includes options for the construction of a fifth and sixth Icon-class ship, which will be approximately 250,000 gross tons, the largest and most capable ships (7,600 passengers and 2,300 crew members) currently in existence in the world.

“Building on the incredible momentum and market response to the launch of Icon of the Seas and the excitement around her sister ship, Star of the Seas, arriving in 2025, we are thrilled to once again partner with Meyer Turku to expand our roster of Icon-class ships and continue our future growth plans,” said Jason Liberty, chairman and chief executive officer, Royal Caribbean Group.

The first Icon Class ship was delivered to Royal Caribbean in January, while the next sister ship, Star of the Seas, is expected to debut in 2025 and the third in 2026.

With this additional order, Meyer Turku will have built 21 ships for Royal Caribbean Group in 28 years. The American corporation's fleet continues to grow with seven new ships on order and two options to be exercised. This year alone, the company welcomed four new ships just delivered: Icon of the Seas and Utopia of the Seas for the Royal Caribbean International brand, Silver Ray for Silversea, and Mein Schiff 7 for Tui Cruises. The long list of new orders will also be joined by a seventh Oasis-class ship, which should debut again for Royal Caribbean International in 2028.

In addition to this newly announced agreement, Meyer Turku, according to SHIPPING ITALY, is also in advanced negotiations with the MSC Group for an order for a series of four new record-breaking cruise ships. Designed for its own MSC Crociere brand, they will have a gross tonnage of around 270,000 tons and, if a construction contract is actually signed, they will be the largest passenger ships ever built in the world. Even larger than the World Class ships under construction for MSC at Chantiers de l'Atlantique in France (215,000 tons) and the same units of the Royal Caribbean Icon class (250,000 tons).

https://www.shippingitaly.it/2024/08/27/royal-caribbean-ordina-ancora-a-meyer-turku-e-msc-crociere-negozia-una-serie-di-navi-da-record/

IMG_2716.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I know it’s about more revenue / profit, but I’m not a fan of the largest ships. The Divina is still my favorite ship of any I have cruised on. It has everything I need, is well laid out and doesn’t feel crowded, like the Seascape & Seashore.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

I'm excited about this news and itching to see some graphics. The above image isnt the likely rendering so im reading.

The rendering doesn't have the needed lifeboat capacity even if each boat holds 400 people. 😄

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The rendering doesn't have the needed lifeboat capacity even if each boat holds 400 people. 😄

Maybe each lifeboat is the size of Explora 1 and these Ultimate-class ships are just that massive. You could drop in to the Sakura restaurant during an emergency 😅

Edited by peder

Instead of messing around with these "tiny" ships.
Take the MSC Irina and make another, attach the two MSC Irina ships in the middle with "sky bridges" and pools, weld the containers in place, add some windows, and Royal will never catch up.

I'm kidding of course, please don't do that MSC
Image of MSC IRINA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Icon of the seas ship lifeboat plus 450 people:

4 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Sign me up! I'm ready 😄

In reality, we likely won't see these ships until 2028, at the absolute earliest, unfortunately. They have World Class ships on order through 2027.

Optional five MSC World class year 2028 o 2029.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaniMSCRoyal_85 said:

Optional five MSC World class year 2028 o 2029.

That would possibly put this new class at a 2030 first delivery. That lines up with a graphic that I saw on another site where two European shipyards were building this class and RCI's Discovery Class simultaneously. The Discovery Class is rumored to start delivery in 2029 or 2030.

I'm excited! 😁😄🎉🥳

5 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

That would possibly put this new class at a 2030 first delivery. That lines up with a graphic that I saw on another site where two European shipyards were building this class and RCI's Discovery Class simultaneously. The Discovery Class is rumored to start delivery in 2029 or 2030.

I'm excited! 😁😄🎉🥳

IMG_2715.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

OK, but where's it going to go? Or, more particularly, where's big enough to take it?

Regards,

Cublet

I hear what you are saying. Fewer and fewer ports will be available! Can Bermuda handle a ship this large? I doubt Alaska can. I know some Bahamian ports can. I have no clue about European and Asian ports.

I've heard some rumors that the major cruise lines are trying to make the ship the destination. Personally, I'm fine with that, for me. I live for port days when the ship is less busy; I stay aboard 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

OK, but where's it going to go? Or, more particularly, where's big enough to take it?

Regards,

Cublet

I'm sure they wouldn't be building these without a plan. Surely there are ports they are contracting with that are making adjustments to accommodate the larger ships.

Hello,

This reminds me of a sea-side postcard.

A man and wife are walking away from a wishing well. By the look, and sweat, on his face, the husband has great embarrassment with something now protruding 'below the trouser line' that he is attempting to cover with his jacket. "OK", says the wife, "Now you've got it, what are you going to do with it?"

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

Pretty much every port that can handle an RCL Oasis class ship, can for sure to handle such an Ultimate class one. that said, you'll likely to see those ships doing: The usual Caribbean routes currently serviced by Oasis ships, the Mediterranean sailings now serviced by both Oasis and World classes of ships, some Chinese ports will be also ready soon for those behemoths, so one in China is quite likely and I believe that even Dubai can receive one, come that ugly war on Israel to an end soon. That is not the challenge. To find interesting ports that are actually open to receive them is the real challenge as so many of them on the market. One day you'll see the "big 4" making cruise ships to be the destination by themselves. Here in Europe you'll might to be able to pack a vessel in Barcelona, go to Civitavecchia and then return to Barcelona with no other port in the middle, or just a beach club one built on demand for them elsewhere, and spend a week just with full of entertainment and kid friendly activities to have a wonderful week flying by.

Please not any more bigger an bigger ships!
I don't like the big ships with to much people an very long lines to embark and disembark and on every venue on the ship.
I prefer smaller ships like Magnifica and the Radiance Class of RCCL and a lot of people also don't wan't bigger and bigger ships.

We sailed on Oasis when it was a few weeks old, never felt crowded due to the design, compared to Virtuosa that does feel crowded. I cannot see us sailing on the Icon class ships or those monsters MSC are thinking of.

On 8/30/2024 at 4:01 PM, Nunagoras said:

Pretty much every port that can handle an RCL Oasis class ship, can for sure to handle such an Ultimate class one. that said, you'll likely to see those ships doing: The usual Caribbean routes currently serviced by Oasis ships, the Mediterranean sailings now serviced by both Oasis and World classes of ships, some Chinese ports will be also ready soon for those behemoths, so one in China is quite likely and I believe that even Dubai can receive one, come that ugly war on Israel to an end soon. That is not the challenge. To find interesting ports that are actually open to receive them is the real challenge as so many of them on the market. One day you'll see the "big 4" making cruise ships to be the destination by themselves. Here in Europe you'll might to be able to pack a vessel in Barcelona, go to Civitavecchia and then return to Barcelona with no other port in the middle, or just a beach club one built on demand for them elsewhere, and spend a week just with full of entertainment and kid friendly activities to have a wonderful week flying by.

Hello,

You've made my point. If one of these come to Europe, it'll only be Med, Med and more Med.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

On 9/1/2024 at 1:39 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

You've made my point. If one of these come to Europe, it'll only be Med, Med and more Med.

Regards,

Cublet

wonder what happens when more and more ports don't want cruise ships anymore