Air Canada Strike

Denversail

Anyone else impacted by this possible strike this month? I'm scheduled to fly with them to Rome on 9/19. The cooling off period expires 9/17. Had to book a refundable backup flight. That is on United which has also voted for a strike by flight attendants. I think that one is just going into a 30 day cooling off period that I think will expire at the end of my trip. I guess being stuck in Rome is better than not being able to get there. Anyone else dealing with this?

Can't help with AC but UA is under mediation and needs permission FROM the National Mediation Board to be allowed to strike, and THEN the 30 days kicks in BUT the President can order them to not strike.  So UA's FAs are NOT currently in the cool off period.  

THIS ARTICLE in USA Today is a good explanation.  

Regarding United, we are probably AT LEAST 60 days from anyone at UA saying a strike is close to happening. And the chances of a strike are way under 5%. Then there will be the issue of the President ordering them to work.

Given the recent Canadian train strike, and the Canadian government ordering them back to work, it sounds like Canada may have a similar law. 

On 8/29/2024 at 12:51 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Regarding United, we are probably AT LEAST 60 days from anyone at UA saying a strike is close to happening. And the chances of a strike are way under 5%. Then there will be the issue of the President ordering them to work.

Given the recent Canadian train strike, and the Canadian government ordering them back to work, it sounds like Canada may have a similar law. 

I believe that the Canadian Government could step in and order pilots back to work, but I think in this situation, they would be very hesitant.  If pilots strike, I don't think that the Government will step in quickly.

I met my AC pilot friend over the weekend.  He said AC had walked away from the table and there is a big difference of what both sides want. The cooling of point was mentioned as Sept 17, he said it should be Sept 18.  He believes there will be a 2 day strike on Sept 17/18 or 18/19 after that he doesn’t know that will happen.  I asked him to let me know as I fly Sept 25, he said “you will probably know from the news before him”.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2024 at 8:46 AM, Denversail said:

Anyone else impacted by this possible strike this month? I'm scheduled to fly with them to Rome on 9/19. The cooling off period expires 9/17. Had to book a refundable backup flight. That is on United which has also voted for a strike by flight attendants. I think that one is just going into a 30 day cooling off period that I think will expire at the end of my trip. I guess being stuck in Rome is better than not being able to get there. Anyone else dealing with this?

Looks like they came to a deal.  So no strike at this point.  The union membership is expected to vote on the deal later this month.