Edinburgh Tattoo

Whitby100

Hey I need some help.  We will be in Edinburgh for the Tattoo on the Journey next summer.  We’re in port overnight on the Friday and depart 11:45 pm on Saturday.  We’d prefer to go to 6:15 pm show on Saturday but are concerned about getting back to ship in time.  Any advice from locals or previous attendees would be appreciated.  Also - any concern about buying tickets this far out? Thanks.

I guess as long as you are docked in Leith that will be fine. Last year we ended up in Rosyth and people missed the tattoo as too far to get into town in time.

14 minutes ago, Whitby100 said:

Hey I need some help.  We will be in Edinburgh for the Tattoo on the Journey next summer.  We’re in port overnight on the Friday and depart 11:45 pm on Saturday.  We’d prefer to go to 6:15 pm show on Saturday but are concerned about getting back to ship in time.  Any advice from locals or previous attendees would be appreciated.  Also - any concern about buying tickets this far out? Thanks.

You will have no issue.  The show lasts 90 minutes, it might take up to 35 minutes to get out of the venue and walk to the tram stop. The tram takes 20 minutes to get to Leith, and the ship is three or four minutes walk from the tram stop. 

• Like 2

When we went, we booked through the cruise line as we had the same concerns, getting back on time.  There were many who did it on their own and I don’t think anyone missed the ship.  The show itself is fantastic, outside of Carnaval in Rio it’s the best show we have ever seen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, manc said:

I guess as long as you are docked in Leith that will be fine. Last year we ended up in Rosyth and people missed the tattoo as too far to get into town in time.

Absolutely key to be docked in Leith!

31 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Absolutely key to be docked in Leith!

Though with an 11:45pm departure, you could be docked in Dundee and still make it back in time on public transport from the early Saturday show!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Though with an 11:45pm departure, you could be docked in Dundee and still make it back in time on public transport from the early Saturday show!

Indeed, even Inverness, but it's a hassle from Rosyth rather than a risk of not making it! Certainly. I did not clarify that.

Thanks.

One word of caution ...

I've just looked at the tide times for Leith for 15, 16 & 17 August 2025.  They are repeated below, but for reference the full set can be found via a PDF link at the bottom of this page (https://www.royalforth.org/information/tide-information)  They are published as GMT, so adding an hour for summer time gives:

image.png.af97270116afdd25d5d931c5076b1843.png

As you can see, high tide is around three hours before you're due to leave.  Cruise ships seem to only use the lock for a maximum of an hour to ninety minutes either side of high tide, and I assume that the size of this window will depend on just how high the tide is.  In June this year, Azamara Onward knew that it would miss the tide on arrival and instead tendered to nearby Newhaven, moving to Leith at the early afternoon high tide.  This was known and communicated well in advance of the cruise to passengers, so no surprises!

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an earlier departure than is currently advertised. A reversal of Onward's June experience seems unworkable with the time available.  The new "outer berth" may also be in the mix.

All this is somewhat speculative, and will depend, in particular, on how large the high-tide window is.  I just want you to be aware of the possibilities.

Finally, having re-read your original post, I'd have no concerns buying tickets now. My recommendation is for a Band B (~£81) ticket.  If you want a quick exit, the two seats next to each aisle are slightly more expensive, but could save you 15-20 minutes!

• Like 1

Are the ship offering a tattoo excursion that night?  If so you are as likely to get back to the ship ahead of the coaches if you can move sharply to the tram stop 

I’d say though you wouldn’t get the full drama of the lighting or fireworks at the 6.15 show. I’d go on the first night of your stay to the 2100 show. 

• Like 4

So far no excursion from the ship offered.  I have bought 2 tickets for Friday and successfully included all suggestions from here and roll call.  This forum is such a help!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitby100 said:

So far no excursion from the ship offered.  I have bought 2 tickets for Friday and successfully included all suggestions from here and roll call.  This forum is such a help!

You should check out the "behind the scenes" tour.  I think this year was the first time it's been run, and I heard some fantastic feedback from an Australian couple.  They said that it wasn't cheap, but worth every penny.  I don't know if they went with a ship excursion or independently.

• Like 1