12 Year Old Pricing

When making a booking with RCI it states on the booking screen how many children, 0-12 in your party.

My son will be 12 when sail next year and when I get to payment screens they jack the price up claiming he is an adult based the date of birth I have enetered. When I rang RCI to query this they told me the chidren price is for 0 to 11 years and 364 days. In other words the moment you turn 12 you are considered and adult. I explained that this is missleading on their website, but anyway, not much I can do about those rules.

Anyway, I just went to make a dummy speciality dinning purchase and they consider my son to be a child.

Talk about confused!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, curry767 said:

Talk about confused!

Those are RCI’s rules. Cabin prices and planner prices may have different price policies based on age. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, curry767 said:

When making a booking with RCI it states on the booking screen how many children, 0-12 in your party.

My son will be 12 when sail next year and when I get to payment screens they jack the price up claiming he is an adult based the date of birth I have enetered. When I rang RCI to query this they told me the chidren price is for 0 to 11 years and 364 days. In other words the moment you turn 12 you are considered and adult. I explained that this is missleading on their website, but anyway, not much I can do about those rules.

Anyway, I just went to make a dummy speciality dinning purchase and they consider my son to be a child.

Talk about confused!

It is 12 and under at the time of sailing.  Depending on the sailing if he is the third passenger in the cabin he may or may not be free.  There are lots of blackout dates...summer, march break and holiday are all bleached out and do not qualify for kids sail free.

Other than Kids sail free age is irrelevant in the ricing as a 6 month old passenger would pay the same as a 60 year old.

I have had it confirm by multiple RCI reps and the website is the same. For a cruise booking, 12 and under means 11 years and 355 days. The moment the guest is 12 years old they are an adult. One rep told me it was change to the way RCI are interpreting the 0-12 statement.

Really what the webiste should say is children are, 0-11 inclusive.

Obviously dinning is treated differently.

40 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The rep told you incorrect information.  It is 12 and under.

image.thumb.png.fc0dd618a568c477ff55d3cfa6811b25.png

We had no problem booking our kiddo for the kids sail free.  He's 12 and we'll be sailing right before his 13th birthday.  We specifically planned it that way to get one last cruise in with that benefit.  Last year we sailed right after his 12th birthday and also had no problems with the kids sail free.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

mmmm, so why I have been told differently by 3 different RCI reps on the phone.

I wonder if it is how they treat us Australian's!!!🤣

Thank you for the replies. It gives me reason to take this further.

Edited by curry767

3 minutes ago, curry767 said:

mmmm, so why I have been told differently by 3 different RCI reps on the phone.

I wonder if it is how they treat us Australian's!!!🤣

Thank you for the replies. It gives me reason to take this further.

Never realized you are from Australia and I can't access the Australian website but maybe it's possible you have different booking terms but I would not have thought that they would change ages for kids based in the country. 

Should read 0-11 so when the day they turn 12 before the cruise they are classed as an adult. Yet they can't partake in adult entertainment or do adult stuff..... 🤔 and most 12 year olds i know will not eat adult size food portions......

If your turn 12 during the cruise dosnt matter your still a child at start of cruise. Like the c&a benifits at time of booking its that level you are on not if you change half way through a cruise. 

But yeah the wording makes it sound like  12 should be up to your last day of being 12.

After all we dont say im xx year and xx days old.......

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Should read 0-11 so when the day they turn 12 before the cruise they are classed as an adult. Yet they can't partake in adult entertainment or do adult stuff..... 🤔 and most 12 year olds i know will not eat adult size food portions......

If your turn 12 during the cruise dosnt matter your still a child at start of cruise. Like the c&a benifits at time of booking its that level you are on not if you change half way through a cruise. 

But yeah the wording makes it sound like  12 should be up to your last day of being 12.

Not sure if the rules in the UK are different but that is certainly not true for North American bookings whee it is 12 and under where 13 is considered an adult.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Clearly you have not met my 3 grandsons who can eat sumo wrestlers under the table!  12-15-16!

Just now, poocher said:

Clearly you have not met my 3 grandsons who can eat sumo wrestlers under the table!  12-15-16 now, eating machines since they were 10-11!!

Thank you for your help on this, I ended up saving $1,500!!

I rang RCI again yesterday and explained the situation and was told straight out that 12 years are adults. I argued that I had evidence that this was not correct, and we proceeded to go back and forth both disagreeing with another.

Anyway, I said start a complete new booking and see what the price is. Low and behold, it treated my son as a child and came in $1,500 cheaper. So now I had to argue to get that price.

After being elevated to a supervisor the line that RCI took was that my original booking used a promotion that didn't consider kids prices, thus DOB's weren't considered and they couldn't reprice. Anyway, I stayed the course and said he is either a child or he is not and obviously your system treats him as a child based on things like dinning bookings. They finally relented and repriced to make him a child.

Thank you to all that posted their evidence, this really helped and pushed me to not accept the answer I was given for the fourth time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, curry767 said:

Thank you for your help on this, I ended up saving $1,500!!

I rang RCI again yesterday and explained the situation and was told straight out that 12 years are adults. I argued that I had evidence that this was not correct, and we proceeded to go back and forth both disagreeing with another.

Anyway, I said start a complete new booking and see what the price is. Low and behold, it treated my son as a child and came in $1,500 cheaper. So now I had to argue to get that price.

After being elevated to a supervisor the line that RCI took was that my original booking used a promotion that didn't consider kids prices, thus DOB's weren't considered and they couldn't reprice. Anyway, I stayed the course and said he is either a child or he is not and obviously your system treats him as a child based on things like dinning bookings. They finally relented and repriced to make him a child.

Thank you to all that posted their evidence, this really helped and pushed me to not accept the answer I was given for the fourth time.

Great to hear although I must say I have never seen a promotion that excluded kids prices.

The most frustrating thing though is dealing with Royal employees who do not even know their own policies.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure if the rules in the UK are different but that is certainly not true for North American bookings whee it is 12 and under where 13 is considered an adult.

Hello,

I don't know how the 'internal plumbing' deals with a 12 yo but here the printed T&Cs refer to 'aged 12 and under'.

Regards,

Cublet

4 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I don't know how the 'internal plumbing' deals with a 12 yo but here the printed T&Cs refer to 'aged 12 and under'.

Regards,

Cublet

Which is the exact same as North America.  12 and under means just that and not 11 as some are saying.