Holland America should be ashamed of themselves in Anchorage

maggiev

After a wonderful 5 star cruise to be put up at the Westmark Anchorage is an insult.  The hotel is old & dingy.  The carpets are not vacuumed.  You have to leave the hotel to get something to eat.  When we arrived, there are no signs indicating where the HAL rep are & it was mass confusion.  
I, in good conscience, cannot recommended Holland if they continue to use the Westmark Anchorage.  
Be forewarned if you’ve already booked a tour

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree that the Westmark is a dump. But I disagree about not recommending Holland for an Alaska tour. They do such a fantastic job with all of the other logistics and options.  The wonderful far outweighs the dingy.

Edited by Lauren and John
Typo
  • Like 6

Does anyone know why HAL doesn't use a better hotel in Anchorage?  Is there any hotel that is better?  All hotels in Anchorage are expensive, even for "standard" types of accommodations.

25 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Does anyone know why HAL doesn't use a better hotel in Anchorage?  Is there any hotel that is better?  All hotels in Anchorage are expensive, even for "standard" types of accommodations.

They put us at Captain Cook's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holland America owns the Westmark Hotel in Anchorage. 

My last stop in Anchorage, portions of the Westmark were being renovated so I was put in the Captain Cook, and excellent experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Westmark is a dump.  It's been a dump for a long time.  The Captain Cook is the best hotel in Anchorage IMHO.  But, when people come in before or after their cruise, I encourage them not to stay in Anchorage.  Vagrancy is a big problem in Anchorage and its getting worse.  On top of that, Anchorage doesn't have much to offer other than some good restaurants.  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Westmark is a dump.  It's been a dump for a long time.  The Captain Cook is the best hotel in Anchorage IMHO.  But, when people come in before or after their cruise, I encourage them not to stay in Anchorage.  Vagrancy is a big problem in Anchorage and its getting worse.  On top of that, Anchorage doesn't have much to offer other than some good restaurants.  

Having spent a few days there, we found the zoo to be interesting (different mixture of animals than some further south). The Anchorage Museum and the science museum are worth a visit. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

Vagrancy is a big problem in Anchorage

It has been for a long time.  I was there for my first cruise in 1988 and vagrancy was an issue then.  I agree that some of the restaurants are very good.  

@maggiev

I enjoy the NPS museums and presentations and some of the hikes available in town or close by. The Westmark is a dump but they do have breakfast and the HAL office is difficult to find but usually manned in the afternoons. Anchorage is the best hop on spot for a train to Denali or flights beyond.  The HAL tours are excellent.  If I were to do them again I would likely just find my own hotel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maggiev said:

My point is - Holland America failed big time. They should not book guests in the Westmark. It is NOT what I expected to receive from Holland

I appreciate that you are posting to social media but….Did you send them an email? Did you send comments on the Navigator app?  Did you complete the post cruise survey?  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

Westmark hotels are a subsidary of Holland Americal.

• Like 2

For one night on HAL’s dime the Westmark is ok.  HAL has in the past also put us up at the Sheraton and Captain Cook.  The Captain Cook is very nice.   You can walk to nearby Glacier Brewhouse for dinner.  If it is packed just jockey for seating at the bar.  A little further and closer to the Captain Cook is Snow City Cafe for breakfast, just put your name in and wait for a table.  I’ve never had an issue with vagrants in the tourist area.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

For one night on HAL’s dime the Westmark is ok.  HAL has in the past also put us up at the Sheraton and Captain Cook.  The Captain Cook is very nice.   You can walk to nearby Glacier Brewhouse for dinner.  If it is packed just jockey for seating at the bar.  A little further and closer to the Captain Cook is Snow City Cafe for breakfast, just put your name in and wait for a table.  I’ve never had an issue with vagrants in the tourist area.

They should definitely do something to enhance that property but I agree a single night of ugly  is not going to ruin my trip.  If it had been unhygienic, something like bed bugs or fleas then I would seek compensation 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRLD said:

Westmark hotels are a subsidary of Holland Americal.

When we were there last year, our guide told us that HAL no longer owned the Anchorage Westmark. Agreed, it's a dump and impossible to avoid the street noise all night long. Still, HAL gives an amazing land/sea tour and we had amazing Denali accommodation for 2 nights, so I figured it was a fair trade 😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

When we were there last year, our guide told us that HAL no longer owned the Anchorage Westmark. Agreed, it's a dump and impossible to avoid the street noise all night long. Still, HAL gives an amazing land/sea tour and we had amazing Denali accommodation for 2 nights, so I figured it was a fair trade 😀

According to Westmark web site they still do.

They have sold off a couple of the Westmark properties when they have changed their Alaska tour itineraries and the hotels were not needed.