Pinnacle Grill - new menu

Haljo1935

I'm on the Westerdam right now and ate at the Pinnacle last night. Yes, the menu is new as of 9/1.

I'll see what I can find out of whether it's a test and perhaps with a flair for Japan/Asia, as this is a Majestic Japan Legendary Cruise. (Chef Morimoto will be on board for part of our voyage, and there will be a Morimoto popup for a few nights.)

I had the Seared halibut, Scallops, Thai Red Curry Sauce. It was wonderful. I started with the Shrimp Cocktail, which was as good as always. The cranberry rolls have been gone a while -- we had lavosh and two different rolls. Butter but not the second flavored butter (peppers? something red as I recall).

I'll attach the separate dessert menu. The key lime pie was great as usual. Instead of the plate of little chocolates we got a plate of macaroons.

The good news is the new menus were in a new folder. The old ones were showing their age!

PG dessert.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, unclerich said:

PG charge on the Zuiderdam today is $19 for lunch and $46 for dinner. These prices do not include service charge or Mariner discount.

And is the lunch menu the usual one we've been seeing or a new one?

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Interesting that the Not So Classic Baked Alaska no longer features Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia.

Seems to align with other license deals that are being sunset 🤷‍♀️🤔

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

And is the lunch menu the usual one we've been seeing or a new one?

It was on Sunday when we had lunch there.

Edited by dfish
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Seems to align with other license deals that are being sunset 🤷‍♀️🤔

You don't really license the ice cream. If you use it as an ingredient, you can say that without the need to pay a licensing fee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

You don't really license the ice cream. If you use it as an ingredient, you can say that without the need to pay a licensing fee.

They weren't licensing the ice cream.  They were licensing the brand name.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kay S said:

You don't have to license the brand name to use the ice cream. You simply use the ice cream. There are teas on the ship and cereal choices that are not a licensing deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Kay S said:

If you purchase Uncle Lester's pickled Granola, you don't need permission or a license to put that fact on your menu.  If you make a deal with Uncle Lester so that you get the granola at a special price or free, then that agreement might include what you can say on your menu, etc. If you mix your own granola, then you can't use Uncle Lester's name on your menu.

I doubt Ben and Jerry's even knows (or cares) if HAL is serving their ice cream.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

If you purchase Uncle Lester's pickled Granola, you don't need permission or a license to put that fact on your menu.  If you make a deal with Uncle Lester so that you get the granola at a special price or free, then that agreement might include what you can say on your menu, etc. If you mix your own granola, then you can't use Uncle Lester's name on your menu.

Please tell me that pickled granola is something you just made up!!! 🤢

7 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I doubt Ben and Jerry's even knows (or cares) if HAL is serving their ice cream.

Sure they know. They're billing Carnival Corp for it! 💲💲

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You don't have to license the brand name to use the ice cream. You simply use the ice cream. There are teas on the ship and cereal choices that are not a licensing deal.

Would it not be more likely that HAL just switched to a lower cost ice cream? There are several on the market that would cost less, or are perhaps in more plentiful supply. Cost cutting sounds more reasonable to me than an ingredient licensing arrangement. 

• Like 2

As far as the "Ben & Jerry's" ice cream it may be a cost cutting measure or it may be a supply situation. If the menu says it's "Ben & Jerry's" then it has to be that. That brand is well known and readily available in the US and here in Canada; HAL ships are deployed all over the world so a more generic cherry ice cream available anywhere makes supply easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And possibly the chefs just chose another ice cream or gelato they prefer.  Frankly when I had the Not so classic baked Alaska in January I didn't eat more than a couple bites.  I think the change may be for the best.  JMO. Cherie

6 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I tried it once. Had glazed intestines for a week.

We shared it for the first time last cruise.  I told DH let’s order the things we haven’t tried as they likely will change the menu soon as it has not been updated in years.  What I did like was the new almond slices brittle served with the brûlée.  But yes the candied bacon was syrupy 

2 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

Isn’t there anyone on a current sailing on another ship that can say if their PG menu  has changed or not? That would seem to answer this question pretty quickly.

See posts #51 & #58.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Would it not be more likely that HAL just switched to a lower cost ice cream? There are several on the market that would cost less, or are perhaps in more plentiful supply. Cost cutting sounds more reasonable to me than an ingredient licensing arrangement. 

The new menu posted above does not have Baked Alaska on it. So, realistically neither Ben nor Jerry come into play.

It's probably a licensing issue with Alaska, or maybe "baking." 😁

• Haha 8