Viking Air Bookings

CharTrav

Per the FAQs for all Viking cruises - River, Ocean, and Expedition - your air itinerary will now be emailed to you and displayed in MVJ 150 days before departure rather than what was the practice before of 90 days. Very useful I'm sure to all of us. However - and I've just confirmed this with a LiveChat agent because I couldn't find it anywhere in the FAQs - tickets will still be issued approx 70 days before departure.

If somebody wants to repost this on the Viking River & Viking Expedition forum feel free.  

Edited by CharTrav

7 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Per the FAQs for all Viking cruises - River, Ocean, and Expedition - your air itinerary will now be emailed to you and displayed in MVJ 150 days before departure rather than what was the practice before of 90 days. Very useful I'm sure to all of us. However - and I've just confirmed this with a LiveChat agent because I couldn't find it anywhere in the FAQs - tickets will still be issued approx 70 days before departure.

If somebody wants to repost this on the Viking River & Viking Expedition forum feel free.  

@CharTrav if you have Air Plus can't you book as far as 310 days before?

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

I think so. But they still won't actually issue the tickets until 70 days before unless you plead and promise you won't scream in despair if the airline  changes things and you get stuck with a deviation fee. Also i've discovered that even if MVJ doesn't show anything until 150 days out - they have already reserved flights for you. And if they've reserved with your frequent flier airline - the reservation is visible from that airline's web site. For example I'm with United and we're booked on a cruise departing next Feb. I've been able to see my reservation on the united site for the past two or three months. I haven't bothered to call the Air Plus desk to alter it cuz I'm happy with it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Maybe, depending on Viking’s contracts. With Air Plus, though, you can get ticketed much earlier than with Viking Air. Just have to ask. It’s definitely not as late as 70 days out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Maybe, depending on Viking’s contracts. With Air Plus, though, you can get ticketed much earlier than with Viking Air. Just have to ask. It’s definitely not as late as 70 days out.

There's an important distinction between reserving a flight and actually issuing the ticket.  You can work with Air Plus (which I have) months in advance but not more than 11 months given that airlines don't schedule flights any earlier than that.  The actual issuance of the ticket isn't done - by Viking - until 70 days from departure.

As I've written earlier, you can get Air Plus to do it earlier but it involves pledging in blood that you understand the implications. And are willing to pay the costs if the airline changes its schedule and Air Plus has to move you to a different flight. Airlines do change their schedules.  To cite a personal example - many years ago when I booked a flight to Berlin for a business trip I hoped for the nice connection (thru Newark all on United) and better price I'd had the last time I'd gone to Berlin. Couldn't find it and booked a non-refundable flight connecting thru Frankfurt (United & Lufthansa). If I had waited another day - I would have been able to get the itinerary i'd wanted. And this was about 60 days out. I can't remember exactly but for sure it was less than 3 months before my meeting. So airline schedules are pretty dynamic. Aren't set in stone. And why Viking Air prefers to issue tickets at 70 days. Gives them the flexibility to respond to sudden changes in airline schedules at no extra cost to you. 

Yep. I know the difference between reserving a flight and being ticketed. I also recognize that flight schedules are not released until about 330 days before. But if you pay for Viking Air, they will issue a ticket well before 70 days, no blood involved. We have done it several times with no troubles.

13 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Yep. I know the difference between reserving a flight and being ticketed. I also recognize that flight schedules are not released until about 330 days before. But if you pay for Viking Air, they will issue a ticket well before 70 days, no blood involved. We have done it several times with no troubles.

OK. Sorry for the strident response. Good to know you've been able to get tickets issued early without having to go through the 'be very aware' song and dance. 

• Like 1

We have also had tickets issued well before 70 days using Viking Air Plus and there was no push back from Viking.  

You must have paid in full to do this and then you are responsible for any change fees, if YOU want to change something.

If the airline makes changes, then it is like any ticket that you have purchased and if the airline offers free changes because of the schedule change or cancellation then those apply.

We book our air 300 or so days out when booking ourselves, so why not with Viking?  If you want the tickets issued before your final payment date, then you must pay for the air and Air Plus in full first.

Has anyone using VikingAir actually seen the air itinerary show up 150 days prior to sailing? I see it says that in the FAQ, but the information in MVJ is still saying that the air itinerary will be available 90 days out and it gives an exact date.

I have sometimes seen our itinerary early, but I don’t worry about what it says in MVJ. I simply use the confirmation code to log in to the actual airline website and confirm my booking there. I’ve often been able to upgrade seats for a fee,( I’m a sky miles member on Delta.)  Some airlines don’t allow seat changes until ticketing. 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

Sorry, I must be missing something here. What confirmation code and what airline? What I am trying to figure out is does an email from Viking or MVJ show the airline information and confirmation code show up 150 days out or if it is like it says on MVJ and those only show up 90 days out.

I am now about 175 days out and just trying to figure out if it is worth it to go with the AirPlus or not. If I only have to wait another 25 days to find out our airline booking, I am fine. If I have to wait 85 days, it may be worth it to pay the $150 pp to expedite that process.

From my experience, once I book a flight via Viking Air Plus, I get an email confirmation with the 6 letter/number airline confirmation code. We have always used Air Plus when booking with Viking. For our April2024 cruise, I had air reserved but not ticketed 8 months in advance of the cruise. It was ticketed by December at my request. You can call Air Plus with questions before deciding if it’s worth paying the extra fee. 

Edited by CDR2001

Until Viking pays for your ticket, those flights can change many times. Once you agree to flights, you can request that Viking ticket you.  Even then, your flights can change. Airlines often change times, equipment, delay, or cancel.  Viking air will get you to the cruise. I have used Viking Air many times. It may not be the most direct route or best times. However, I always got to the cruise and got home. Relax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Until Viking pays for your ticket, those flights can change many times. Once you agree to flights, you can request that Viking ticket you.  Even then, your flights can change. Airlines often change times, equipment, delay, or cancel.  Viking air will get you to the cruise. I have used Viking Air many times. It may not be the most direct route or best times. However, I always got to the cruise and got home. Relax.

Getting to the cruise and back home is the minimum requirement. 

I think many on the forum put great value in having a travel experience that exceeds the minimum.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Breckski said:

I think many on the forum put great value in having a travel experience that exceeds the minimum.

I put the highest value on getting to the ship before it sails, everything else is secondary.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I put the highest value on getting to the ship before it sails, everything else is secondary.

Obviously getting there is the primary goal.  I simply put a good deal of value on the secondary items.  Getting there and getting there in a bit of comfort are not mutually exclusive. Easy analogy for the car one drives.

In our life, time spent at the airport is likely the worst experience we have.  We understand that we are fortunate but imagine we're not that different than many(most?) on this board.  So, we try to have the best air travel experience that we can.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Breckski said:

In our life, time spent at the airport is likely the worst experience we have. 

You've been flying through the wrong airports.

There are a number where I WANT to spend time and enjoy myself.  Singapore.  Hong Kong. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Virgin's Clubhouse at LHR.   Doha.   And others.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Breckski said:

100 % agree!   Otherwise we wouldn't have so much discussion about flights, etc !!!

1 hour ago, Breckski said:

In our life, time spent at the airport is likely the worst experience we have.  We understand that we are fortunate but imagine we're not that different than many(most?) on this board.  So, we try to have the best air travel experience that we can.

No doubt airports have gotten even worse these days.  I spent too many years traveling for business through too many airports. And had to suck it up.  Now when I travel for fun/adventure, I therefore want to avoid all those messes if possible and that quite frankly, is 1B in the priority, even if getting there is 1A.

I take steps to reduce the messes - by doing our own air and maintaining control, flying out of non-commuter airports, arriving early ahead of cruises and leaving late.  (We always would do that anyway since you might as well see wonderful sights in front and in back, we feel, rather than rush to the ship and rush home).

• Like 2

On 9/7/2024 at 11:04 AM, FlyerTalker said:

There are a number where I WANT to spend time and enjoy myself.  Singapore.  Hong Kong. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Virgin's Clubhouse at LHR.   Doha.   And others.

Then you're living in the wrong place🤣

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 11:37 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Not us. From the time we leave home, travelling in comfort is a requirement. 

• Like 4

On 9/5/2024 at 12:57 PM, CDR2001 said:

I have sometimes seen our itinerary early, but I don’t worry about what it says in MVJ. I simply use the confirmation code to log in to the actual airline website and confirm my booking there. I’ve often been able to upgrade seats for a fee,( I’m a sky miles member on Delta.)  Some airlines don’t allow seat changes until ticketing. 

I’m actually seeing flight reservations for our trip in July 2025 at my United FF site. Not in MVJ of course …. yet. So it’s clear Viking Air is working on stuff soonest. It gives me an early view of what is being planned. If I don’t like it I can call them. For this one that involves a return flight from Nuuk Greenland - I and the rest of us on this cruise are waiting to see how they’ll handle it.  Charter flight to Reykjavik? In this case - clearly - leaving it all in the hands of Viking Air is the only sensible thing to do. IMHO. 

On 9/7/2024 at 6:52 PM, CCWineLover said:

No doubt airports have gotten even worse these days.  I spent too many years traveling for business through too many airports. And had to suck it up.  Now when I travel for fun/adventure, I therefore want to avoid all those messes if possible and that quite frankly, is 1B in the priority, even if getting there is 1A.

I take steps to reduce the messes - by doing our own air and maintaining control, flying out of non-commuter airports, arriving early ahead of cruises and leaving late.  (We always would do that anyway since you might as well see wonderful sights in front and in back, we feel, rather than rush to the ship and rush home).

We are there with you.  While flying domestically, our choices are limited, but when we fly internationally, I consider many other carriers as they are far superior to US ones so these are our go tos.  
Like you, we have the luxury of our home airport being an international airport (actually 2), so it does increase our options considerably.  

On 9/7/2024 at 6:04 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I really wish we had time to check out Korean Air’s Lounge.  We flew through there earlier this year on our way to Bali but no time to visit.  I was pleasantly surprised at the airport in Seoul and the service we had on Korean Air.  
We should get a chance to check out the lounge in Jan.

10 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I really wish we had time to check out Korean Air’s Lounge.  We flew through there earlier this year on our way to Bali but no time to visit.  I was pleasantly surprised at the airport in Seoul and the service we had on Korean Air.  
We should get a chance to check out the lounge in Jan.

I'm sure there are worse countries out there, but in general, our legacy carriers are a huge disappointment.