Starlink Up on Splendor

Navigator has quietly been enjoying Starlink since the first week of August on the Iceland / Greenland cruise. Didn't work in Greenland because of no license there, but transition on and off Starlink was smooth.

Thanks Andre, the Starlink contractor who was onboard to flip the switch! And thanks to our Executive Concierge who joined the Deck 6 Block Party and told us of the big change over.

1 hour ago, captjohn said:

Nothing personal but you may think that 4MBPS is good but when we were on Seabourn we never had less than 75. We are on Grandeur now and it's about 2.75.

I don't think it is good. RCL provides over 50. I said it was wonderful compared to the old system...and TBH, unless you are downloading something large it's probably enough (with that low ping) to work fine for most people.

A couple of glitches …. it seems like the sign up process for the Internet has billed all or most of the folks onboard. Reception indicates the charges will be reversed tomorrow.
Also some folks are complaining about emails not downloading properly. Not sure why, perhaps their email server blocking  the Starlink IP address. 

Frank

2 hours ago, frankpc123 said:

A couple of glitches …. it seems like the sign up process for the Internet has billed all or most of the folks onboard. Reception indicates the charges will be reversed tomorrow.
Also some folks are complaining about emails not downloading properly. Not sure why, perhaps their email server blocking  the Starlink IP address. 

Frank

Correct   -- I know from our cruise last week - Comcast hates the mobile Starlink IP addresses and treats them as threats. Only resolution is to use a VPN, but that costs $$$ on Regent.  The other way around is to use the Web browser interface to get your mail while using the ships wifi.

We were on the Splendor 8/12 to 8/20. Wasn’t Starlink then, I think. Internet service was about what we’ve come to expect on cruises — spotty and depending on out location. But we were usually able to read and send email in our suite, and that’s really our only use for ship’s internet.

I was on 8/20-9/3.  It was decent but I could not text or email photos or files.  I did this when I was in port and could hotspot.

And charging for the 2nd person to have access (unless concierge and above) is petty at this price point IMO.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to rave about Starlink on ships.  In my experience, the best wifi so far on any ship was on the Viking 2018 world cruise.  Fast and reliable.  Also had live tv almost all the time.  On the recent Viking WC with Starlink on the ship, we often had no live tv and internet was slow and often interrupted.  So, as for me, I just dont get all the hoopla. 🍹

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Everyone seems to rave about Starlink on ships.  In my experience, the best wifi so far on any ship was on the Viking 2018 world cruise.  Fast and reliable.  Also had live tv almost all the time.  On the recent Viking WC with Starlink on the ship, we often had no live tv and internet was slow and often interrupted.  So, as for me, I just dont get all the hoopla. 🍹

When you have satellite, you choose the bandwidth you want for your guests. The more you want, the more expensive it is. You can have Starlink on 2 different ships and one can be 25 times faster than the other...even if they are right next to each other.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 2