Downlining (early disembarkation) on a Mediterranean cruise

HTQ

We would love to have a close friend join us on a Mediterranean cruise that is sailing this autumn. Unfortunately he works in healthcare and would not be able to take off  work for the full duration of the cruise. 

It is a 7 day cruise with Italian, Greek, and French ports (all within the EU). Ideally, we would want to get permission from the cruise line about downlining a few days early and that will be the route we will go with. 

But it has got me thinking. Hypothetically, what would stop him from “accidentally missing” the return window to get back on the ship while at port? In the US because of the jones act, if someone downlines in the US without stopping at at an international port first, the ship is subjected to fines that they will pass along to the passengers. But no such rule exists in the EU. Furthermore, as all the countries in our itinerary are in the EU, there would be no need for customs. Sure there may be ancillary fees associated with paperwork and shipping luggage but doesn’t stuff like this happen all the time?  

25 minutes ago, HTQ said:

We would love to have a close friend join us on a Mediterranean cruise that is sailing this autumn. Unfortunately he works in healthcare and would not be able to take off  work for the full duration of the cruise. 

It is a 7 day cruise with Italian, Greek, and French ports (all within the EU). Ideally, we would want to get permission from the cruise line about downlining a few days early and that will be the route we will go with. 

But it has got me thinking. Hypothetically, what would stop him from “accidentally missing” the return window to get back on the ship while at port? In the US because of the jones act, if someone downlines in the US without stopping at at an international port first, the ship is subjected to fines that they will pass along to the passengers. But no such rule exists in the EU. Furthermore, as all the countries in our itinerary are in the EU, there would be no need for customs. Sure there may be ancillary fees associated with paperwork and shipping luggage but doesn’t stuff like this happen all the time?  

No it does not.  Most people would not  do something like that, involving possibly delaying the ship's departure, involving the port agent, etc.  It would be rather selfish and inconsiderate to do.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HTQ said:

First, welcome to Cruise Critic.  You have left us a lot to unpack here.  While the Jones Act applies to merchant ships, passengers on cruise ships are subject to a similar, but different, law, the Passenger Vessel Service Act.  It provides for a fine for any passenger on board a ship that is registered in any country other than the US from boarding a cruise in one US port and debarking at a different US port without first stopping at a foreign port.  There are similar regulations in place in Europe.  For a complete and accurate summary of those details, I would yield to the expertise of another frequent CC contributor, @chengkp75 who retired after serving for years as the Chief Engineer on NCL ships.

You mentioned that all of the ports you will be visiting will be in the EU.  While it may be possible for you to leave your ship prior to the scheduled port of debarkation, it would be wise to check with the cruise line prior to boarding your cruise.  There may be circumstances associated with your particular cruise which would run afoul of the law.  This doesn't happen very often at all.  In fact it is quite rare, but it does occur occasionally.  I would recommend that you contact NCL's Senior Vice President for Guest Services, Ms. Katty Byrd.  Her email address is kbyrd@ncl.com.  She provided great assistance to us a couple of years ago when we wanted to do something very similar to your plan. 

• Haha 1

They can pass along any possible governmental fines to the passenger, and they can also ban a passenger from future NCL sailings if they believe a passenger deliberately missed boarding to leave a cruise.  Review of security footage would document the passenger leaving with baggage (or else your friend will have the logistical headache of traveling without their belongings.).  Obviously anyone not reboarding whether deliberately or due to an emergency should please be considerate to fellow passengers and notify the port agent as soon as possible.  I wouldn't risk this, but its totally up to you.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

the Passenger Vessel Service Act.  It provides for a fine for any passenger on board a ship that is registered in any country other than the US from boarding a cruise in one US port and debarking at a different US port without first stopping at a foreign port. 

Incorrect.

Under the PVSA, even if you are embarking and disembarking at the same port...in other words taking a closed loop cruise, a foreign-flagged cruise ship must make a call at a foreign port.

If embarking at one US port and disembarking at a different US port, the ship must make a port call at a distant foreign port. No ports in Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Bahamas, Bermuda or the Caribbean qualify as a distant foreign port, with the exception of the ABC islands...Aruba Bonaire and Curacao.

In any event the Passenger Vessel Services Act is irrelevant to the OP's question as this is not a cruise originating and ending in US ports.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

HTQ,

I find it quite interesting that this is your first post on CC.  Most newbies aren’t even aware of the Jones Act (or PVSA). 

And “downlining”?  I expect that it’s not common.

Your close friend, who would only plan to be on the ship for a few days, could travel lightly enough to not be noticed while “downlining” with just a backpack. 

However, “accidentally missing” the ship, i.e., just leaving mid-cruise, creates havoc for the ship’s crew and for the port’s crew. It's very disrespectful. Did the passenger just miss the cruise, was his private excursion late, is he in the hospital, is he dead? 

As much as you'd love for your close friend to join you for part of the cruise, on some level, you gotta know that "accidentally missing" the ship just isn't right... 

Leets

Edited by cruiser1961

If it would be as easy as you suggest, with the cruise all being in EU, the chance for NCL saying "yes, it's OK"  should be high. If they say "No" they have their reasons and you just have to accept it.
Yes, people miss the boat now and then. And at those occations it causes both work and annoyance for the crew. IF you decide to do it like this (which EVERYONE certainly would suggest against!) at least be open with it when you return to the ship. Let them know your friend isn't coming back.

(Side note: Missing "a few days" on a 7 day cruise doesn't leave much a cruise in my opinion, but to each their own!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Asawi said:

If it would be as easy as you suggest, with the cruise all being in EU, the chance for NCL saying "yes, it's OK"  should be high. If they say "No" they have their reasons and you just have to accept it.
Yes, people miss the boat now and then. And at those occations it causes both work and annoyance for the crew. IF you decide to do it like this (which EVERYONE certainly would suggest against!) at least be open with it when you return to the ship. Let them know your friend isn't coming back.

(Side note: Missing "a few days" on a 7 day cruise doesn't leave much a cruise in my opinion, but to each their own!)

This is the 2nd time we've heard of this in recent weeks.  Makes no sense.  Why cruise?  Especially, why pay for a 7 day cruise and not use it?  What's the fare they're charging for the "good friend"?

They won't pro-rate his fare.

Edited by graphicguy

I don't see why it would be a problem within the EU.  If the cruise starts and ends there, you will have already cleared immigration.

I have left the ship a port or 2 early, twice, but I'm European so don't know if that makes a difference, since I don't need to clear customs inside the EU.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asawi said:

Disappearing without telling the cruise staff would be a very bad idea.  Just tell them beforehand, never been a problem in my experience.

• Like 1

I've travelled on MSC several times in Europe / Med - most recently this past April / May & July.

There were several passengers disembarking early(some pre arranged & some made preparations onboard). Not a problem at all.

As far as why someone would do this - ease of travel to another location(I'm taking a TA from MIami to London but will disembark in Spain several days  earlier).  I use the ships as transport - much like a train to my home in Europe.  I don't ask for a prorated fare  - I just pay what I have to.

In the case of the poster  - his friend is inn the Medical field w limited time off.

Plus since this is my first time in MANY years that I will sail NCL - after reading some of the comments & reviews about NCL - I can see why some would want to disembark early!!!

13 hours ago, NowVoyager2 said:

I've travelled on MSC several times in Europe / Med - most recently this past April / May & July.

There were several passengers disembarking early(some pre arranged & some made preparations onboard). Not a problem at all.

As far as why someone would do this - ease of travel to another location(I'm taking a TA from MIami to London but will disembark in Spain several days  earlier).  I use the ships as transport - much like a train to my home in Europe.  I don't ask for a prorated fare  - I just pay what I have to.

In the case of the poster  - his friend is inn the Medical field w limited time off.

Plus since this is my first time in MANY years that I will sail NCL - after reading some of the comments & reviews about NCL - I can see why some would want to disembark early!!!

MSC routinely has disembarking and embarking at many of the ports of call on a single cruise.  Since their model is to sell their cruises in this way and NCL does not do this, it might not be so easy.

7 hours ago, gizfish said:

MSC routinely has disembarking and embarking at many of the ports of call on a single cruise.  Since their model is to sell their cruises in this way and NCL does not do this, it might not be so easy.

Exactly.  MSC is set up to sell different embarkation/disembarkation points, a la carte.  NCL (nor Royal, nor Celebrity, nor Carnival, etc) does not do this.  And yes, if you want to do this, probably a better idea to book MSC than it is to try this with NCL.  We're read time and again how this goes sideways.

• Like 1