Wine packages

kacurl

3 minutes ago, kacurl said:

Was looking wine packages for my trip but couldn't find list of actual bottles. Do they not list anymore? Thanks for any help, cathy

I've never tried to order a wine package before the cruise but I do not see anywhere where specific wines are listed on the website. Once onboard you will know what they have available.

I wait so I can use my OBC for the package. It also seems more straight forward to get the 3*, 25% Mariner discount.

If they listed the wines before the cruise the list most likely would be wrong anyway.  Once onboard they can tell you what they actually do have. And even then they can (and do) run out of some of them during the cruise.  For that reason and also because then the steward who takes the order onboard gets the credit, we wait until we're onboard.  

• Like 1

Yes, the wines change, and frequently there are substitutes for those listed. I always talk to the cellar master about what is available on the cruise. And sometimes, like on the cruise I'm on now, I ask if a wine I like can be substituted for one in the package. Sometimes the answer is yes and I am steered toward the appropriate package.

One pro tip: Don't order the package the first night if you are still in or near port (territorial waters?), as you may be charged the local sales tax. That was the case on this cruise out of Seattle, and for the 8-bottle package it was substantial. I ordered the second night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I am under the impression local sales tax is not always charged on the wine package. Different ports different rules.  If I order on the first day before leaving Fort Lauderdale will I be charged local sales tax? Hoping someone can answer that question.  Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sherry H said:

I am under the impression local sales tax is not always charged on the wine package. Different ports different rules.  If I order on the first day before leaving Fort Lauderdale will I be charged local sales tax? Hoping someone can answer that question.  Thanks in advance. 

Yes, I am pretty sure.

On 9/4/2024 at 6:02 PM, Sherry H said:

If I order on the first day before leaving Fort Lauderdale will I be charged local sales tax? Hoping someone can answer that question. 

So on the Oosterdam TA in April (2024) I ordered the 8 bottle Sommelier wine Package at dinner and we were still in Port Everglades (sail away was not until late, after dinner).

I just checked my statement and there was no sales tax charged for the Sommelier wine package.

Perhaps they waited until in international waters before processing the transaction....LOL. 

Edited by FlaMariner

Also I while on board and you are finding out what wine is actually available, and if there is a particular wine you like, you can ask them to hold it/reserve it for you in case they run out of it. 

I do that now as I love one particular vineyard that I can’t buy at home, so I really look forward to enjoying it on my cruise. 

Sometimes a wine you select may not be available on that day - it might be in storage somewhere down below…so it might become ‘available’ later. 

Edited by luv2cruisenz

On our last sailing on the Noordam in March/April of this year, the sommelier told me that the entire wine list was changing this year. My favorite is Meomi pinot noir and it was not on the new list for the wine packages. They were able to grant my request and supply my package with what I requested but was told that it might not be available for future sailings. We are boarding the Rotterdam at the end of this month. It will be interesting to see the new wine lists.