The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 5th, 2024

@marshhawk I hope Chuck's back gets better soon!  

The Nazca lines are a mystery built between 500BC and 500AD by the Nazca people.  They cover 1000 square kilometers.  They are birds, bugs and stylized plants.  They are massive geoglyphs in the soil and the subject can't be distinguished except from the air.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

A late good afternoon from a partly sunny and partly cloudy central Texas.  It is 85F, but the app says it feels like 92F with a 12mph wind from the NNE.  It is really not too bad out.  After I got the grass trimmed and mowed. I tackled the flower beds.  The remaining marigolds were looking rather sad, so I pulled them up.  I also trimmed and cleaned up the iris and weeded the flower beds.  All that's left before we head to Arizona next month is to trim the bushes, but that will wait until closer to the time we leave so I won't have to do that but once.

I have a big project facing me thanks to the USPS.  They informed our mail service that we can no longer have a individual street address with a PNB number, but now everyone will need to use one street address along with their individual PMB.  I just hope I can remember everyone who has that address to let them know about the change.  We've only had this address for 25 years,  GRRRR.

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:
Thank you Sandi, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

DSIL has her first post-op visit with the Ortho this afternoon. Waiting to see if they substitute a boot for the cast yet. Yesterday the Physical Therapist did a home visit. We had been expecting to need to drive to the facility but happy to hear they will come to us.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Jack, I hope your SDIL gets a good report from the surgeon, and can switch to a boot.  Good that the PT can be done at home.

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Aloha! It’s 6:16 AM here in Honolulu and promises to be another beautiful Hawaii day. Sitting on our balcony overlooking Waikiki Beach and the Pacific precious. I’m in the never late crowd. Probably military training to some degree but I believe my dad ingrained the habit of being on time.

Thanks for the pics of Pisco as we will be visiting there next year on our cruise around South America.

This morning I’m watching granddaughter as rest of family get’s a private tour of Pearl Harbor on the Admirals Barge.

Our flight over on Hawaiian air was fine and on time. Saturday we fly over to Kauai for our 3 week stay.

Enjoy the rest of your day. Mahalo for the reports and post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.26d3791022d101e9417976a27912e600.jpegimage.jpeg.52447e0371ff3ed35c2a0dca1856de1c.jpeg

Bruce, glad you made it safely to Honolulu. 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone!

We had a full day yesterday at the Bay of Fundy.  We got there during low tide and were able to walk out quite far on the ocean floor.  Small tide pools provide a safe place for some sea life.

This first picture is of the far side of Flower Pot Island.IMG_3580.thumb.jpeg.e7ef1823da5f7d2b25cf9c277123ac89.jpeg

And now we see it as the tide comes in.

IMG_3597.thumb.jpeg.78ac31e5cbbdcc86ca5b5f424bfb2883.jpeg

IMG_3583.thumb.jpeg.e4c018bb682f4cdc69922fb99d8f056a.jpeg

IMG_3596.thumb.jpeg.03ee3154068625e62a9b09cc49f7c5c5.jpeg

IMG_3592.thumb.jpeg.c376e37e30139d81009a62c88c9b20b6.jpeg

Today we are in Saint John, New Brunswick.  Yesterday was pretty tiring so we had a laid back day.  Sue and I walked up to the City Market.  We bought coffee and lemon filled croissants at the Charlotte Street Bakery and took them across the street to the park to eat.  OMG, those croissants were to die for.  If you ever get the chance, try them.  We had devoured them before I thought to take a picture.  Here’s some flowers in the park to make up for that.

IMG_3607.thumb.jpeg.bc5a0929514c406fba1c6f4e280523e9.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

IMG_3586.jpeg

IMG_3591.jpeg

IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3600.jpeg

Debbie, thanks for all the wonderful pictures.  We've been out to the Bay of Fundy to see the bore tide, but didn't walk on the ocean floor.

15 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda, DB has been treated by an ID since his first knee surgery.  Sadly that has been how long this train wreck has been rolling.  😢

Nancy, it seems like too long a time to not be able to get the infection under control  Is anyone thinking about calling in another ID or two for another opinion?

Tonight we will be splitting a ribeye along with baked potatoes, salad and red wine.  There will be no pesto on the steaks, however.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

This morning when I posted my pictures, I thought I'd posted some screen shots from DH's videos of the Nazca Lines, but couldn't find them.  DH found them and told me where to find them.

@marshhawk  Annie, there is  not too much known about the Nazca lines, but this link should give you an idea of what is know.  It is to Britannica.  https://www.britannica.com/place/Nazca-Lines

I dug through my pictures of our first time in General San Martin and our flight over the Nazca lines.  Between the plane's windows and time, the pictures are not very good, even after I scanned them and worked on them.  DH is going through his videos to see if he can get any good screen shots.

I'll show the pictures that did fairly okay, but the one of the monkey just did not work.  I also found a couple pictures of Pisco that show a better part of town than the ones I shared earlier.

Plaza de Armas de Pisco with a statue of General San Martin

jpg287.thumb.jpg.ea369f345600c4deb7257936abf88b38.jpg

The churchjpg288.thumb.jpg.999beda1b9445ff78b690185a1277824.jpg

This is the tower at the airport where we boarded the plane for our flight.  Looks like it should be in the south Pacific.

jpg289.thumb.jpg.8dae63d85ff8c85c27c3d193beb97962.jpg

jpg290.thumb.jpg.441ae06acf4c85f83df1b3b9f7d53159.jpg

The one figure that I have a good picture of is the Astronaut that was done on a hillside.jpg291.thumb.jpg.9d92d9c1e06486391ab3b76cdc079bef.jpg

A couple of pictures from the plane.  The long thin white line is the road researchers used to get to the sight.  The wide white rectangle in the second picture is part of the Nazca Lines.

jpg292.thumb.jpg.a91cddb8bfa0b98c367a4c96e605970d.jpg

jpg293.thumb.jpg.fc5a573e435834891e0a4af3f9ed488b.jpg

Two screenshots from DH's video of the hummingbird

1898908197_Screenshot(40).thumb.png.a7fb5309d509b18bb68ff6c07145e974.png

1549796845_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.787f6ccf188009db5d4f438d6914b055.png

The spider

1118282730_Screenshot(44).thumb.png.fbfe26e5a5ef28641375b744cbc2aa75.png

Just after I closed out CC, I found another imagine DH had sent.  It's a bird, but I could not find out if was the condor or not.  I suspect it is the condor.

1411075101_Screenshot(46).thumb.png.c6e2018dab2189d6a7e32550bcd82f53.png

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9

5 hours ago, luvteaching said:

...Today is hopefully getting packed for the cruise on the Eurodam on Saturday. So far Juneau is looking decent weather-wise which is nice. My friends going with me are so excited! I have a new store in Ketchikan to look at - Alaska Eagle Arts. It's on Creek Street right near Parnassus books which is another favorite stop for me. 

Would you follow up w/your thoughts (maybe a pic, too) after you go to AK Eagle Arts? 

We leave Sept 28 for our AK cruise and we're always looking for new places to visit.

TIA

• Like 12

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I think people should be charitable every day, not just one day of the year.  I try never to be late for anything - I think it's just rude to keep people waiting; I'd rather be early and have to wait a bit than be late.  I think cheese pizza is great . . . for a starter with other things on top.  I like the quote by Bob Marley; whenever I hear the Beachboys "Kokomo" it takes me back to those beautiful islands.

A little late to the party today; this morning DH had a cardiologist appointment right at 9AM.  It's usually about a 15 minute drive, so we left at about 8:25 and just barely made it into the office for 9 due to a traffic accident that had the main freeway backed up for miles.  Thankfully I knew of a diversion I could take that took us out of our way, but also got us to the appointment on time.  A good report was received today, the doctor telling DH that everything looks great and he doesn't want to see him until next year.  Yay!  With that in mind, we came home and booked a Caribbean cruise for February (DH said he owed me big time for taking care of him throughout all his ills, and who was I to argue?!?).  We'll be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in a cabin we've enjoyed previously, and even though we've been to all the ports before, it'll be a great getaway from the cold and snow of the "frozen tundra" in the midst of winter.  I'm just enjoying the thought of sitting on the balcony watching the world go by!

After the medical this morning we went to the Mitsubishi dealer to order a new clip for a part of the roof trim that broke off the last time we were in the car wash.  While there we also saw that half of the trim on the other side was gone entirely - how or when, we have no idea.  Thankfully the parts and labour are not going to cause us to have to sell a kidney, coming in at under $200 and should be available for us to have installed next week.

I'm going to pass on the drink; even for someone who has a sweet tooth like me, I think it might be a little much.  I'd like to try the wine, and would enjoy steak, but not sure about the kale pesto.  Perhaps if someone made it for me, I'd try it, but I'm not planning on making it any time soon.  I've got chicken breasts marinating n Greek dressing that will be sliced and threaded onto skewers for DH to cook on the grill and will be serving them along with a stir fry of the veggies from yesterday's charcuterie board on the deck for dinner tonight.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially for the families of the 4 victims of school violence who died so senselessly yesterday.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

@Haljo1935 Of course I'll follow up on Alaska Eagle Arts. I'm going here because the couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this past weekend were gifted a beautiful print of a hummingbird (done Alaska Native style) with fireweed embossed on the side. The couple who gave it to them want me to stop in and take a few photos of the place and mention the lady's name as she does work down here for them. Here's a picture of the print. They have notecards on their website of this print and I want some!! 

Karen

Image(28).thumb.jpeg.ac1b5cb32882b1679d57a76f67e3909f.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My sister saw the surgeon this morning. The cancer was found in the lymph nodes so they need to go back in and take out more nodes to determine how advanced the cancer is and how to treat it. She has the surgery on Monday.

I'm sorry about today's news Joy.  I hope the surgery is successful in removing all the remaining cancer.  Prayers for her and the entire family.  🙏

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My sister saw the surgeon this morning. The cancer was found in the lymph nodes so they need to go back in and take out more nodes to determine how advanced the cancer is and how to treat it. She has the surgery on Monday.

I am sorry to hear this. Prayers will be with her.

Susan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I think people should be charitable every day, not just one day of the year.  I try never to be late for anything - I think it's just rude to keep people waiting; I'd rather be early and have to wait a bit than be late.  I think cheese pizza is great . . . for a starter with other things on top.  I like the quote by Bob Marley; whenever I hear the Beachboys "Kokomo" it takes me back to those beautiful islands.

A little late to the party today; this morning DH had a cardiologist appointment right at 9AM.  It's usually about a 15 minute drive, so we left at about 8:25 and just barely made it into the office for 9 due to a traffic accident that had the main freeway backed up for miles.  Thankfully I knew of a diversion I could take that took us out of our way, but also got us to the appointment on time.  A good report was received today, the doctor telling DH that everything looks great and he doesn't want to see him until next year.  Yay!  With that in mind, we came home and booked a Caribbean cruise for February (DH said he owed me big time for taking care of him throughout all his ills, and who was I to argue?!?).  We'll be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in a cabin we've enjoyed previously, and even though we've been to all the ports before, it'll be a great getaway from the cold and snow of the "frozen tundra" in the midst of winter.  I'm just enjoying the thought of sitting on the balcony watching the world go by!

After the medical this morning we went to the Mitsubishi dealer to order a new clip for a part of the roof trim that broke off the last time we were in the car wash.  While there we also saw that half of the trim on the other side was gone entirely - how or when, we have no idea.  Thankfully the parts and labour are not going to cause us to have to sell a kidney, coming in at under $200 and should be available for us to have installed next week.

I'm going to pass on the drink; even for someone who has a sweet tooth like me, I think it might be a little much.  I'd like to try the wine, and would enjoy steak, but not sure about the kale pesto.  Perhaps if someone made it for me, I'd try it, but I'm not planning on making it any time soon.  I've got chicken breasts marinating n Greek dressing that will be sliced and threaded onto skewers for DH to cook on the grill and will be serving them along with a stir fry of the veggies from yesterday's charcuterie board on the deck for dinner tonight.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially for the families of the 4 victims of school violence who died so senselessly yesterday.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, that is great news from your DH's cardiologist.  Now, you can doubly enjoy your upcoming winter cruise.

38 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

@Haljo1935 Of course I'll follow up on Alaska Eagle Arts. I'm going here because the couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this past weekend were gifted a beautiful print of a hummingbird (done Alaska Native style) with fireweed embossed on the side. The couple who gave it to them want me to stop in and take a few photos of the place and mention the lady's name as she does work down here for them. Here's a picture of the print. They have notecards on their website of this print and I want some!! 

Karen

Karen, that is really pretty.  I'll have to remember to check the store out when we're there next year.

23 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy, I'm sorry your DS will have to undergo more surgery, but if they can remove all the affected nodes, that will definitely help her recover.  Wishing her all the best Monday.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Karen

Thank you - that's beautiful!!

I L❤️VE AK

• Like 9

Thursday Evening

It got to 94 today so a bit toasty yet to enjoy the terrace, going to wait until sunset, should be much cooler.  I spent the afternoon working on estate matters for the attorney.  No news on the bee hive at DM's, hope to have an update on that for tomorrow's daily.  I should be able to make a brief appearance in the morning, and then the doctor appointment will take up most of the afternoon so I might not be able to comment on everybody's posts until tomorrow evening.  

Not sure about dinner yet, I need to put in a candy order for upcoming gift giving, but I'm going to wait until after, don't think I want to do it while I'm hungry.

Bee Hive Update:  right after I posted this my DM sent me a text.  She called 3 exterminators and all were "too busy"....infuriating, small businesses flood our mailboxes with ads but this?  Fortunately she called a friend who owns properties and she gave DM a name and he'll be over next week, in the meantime as long as nobody is going near the nest it should be okay for now.  And it is out of the way of the main part of her yard.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm sorry the news wasn't what everybody had hoped for.🙏

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Seasick Sailor so sorry the news for your sister wasn't more positive.  I'm a 3-time breast cancer survivor, although each time it was caught extremely early thanks to routine mammograms. Your sister's news is not good - I hope treatment will result in a positive outcome for many years to come.

Sue/WDW

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm sorry to hear your sister's current diagnosis Joy.

Positive prayers 🙏 for better news on Monday for her.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bennybear said:

@Seasick Sailor I’m sorry your sister is facing more surgery,  glad it will be soon so she can begin to heal.  I know how difficult it must be to be away.  

@grapau27 ok, I can’t resist one Asparagi?  😂.  Has the great Veggie shortage spread to sea? 

No veggie shortage in England.

IMG_20240904_184523.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4