Catholic mass

gizmodog

6 hours ago, vms said:

If passengers want to celebrate their faiths together while onboard, they should feel free to do so. But I do not see why it is necessary for private companies to sponsor religious observances for specific faith traditions and not others.

I’m glad to see private companies willing to exercise their prerogative to provide/sponsor opportunities for religious observances.

And I’m sorry to see HAL has chosen to no longer have priests. And by the way- non-Catholic here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Just wondering how many feel that having a priest on board is important to them

Non-Catholic here, and I'd would attend services (non-denominational, if available) onboard on occasion.  I've attended Catholic services onboard, also.  

It's my understanding that HAL had the priests onboard for the crew members (many of whom are away from home and religious services for long periods of time), and passengers would ask if they could also attend the services.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've attended nondenominational (Christian) services on both Princess and Cunard and thought they were lovely. I think on Cunard, it's up to the captain (who usually leads it) whether they do it or not, because it hasn't always been available. 

I'll pay attention and look for it!

On 9/6/2024 at 6:28 PM, Roz said:

How many priests are able to get away for long periods of time?

I talked to the leaders of the Apostleship of the Seas which is the group that schedules the Priests and this is no shortage at all.  We had dinner with a priest on the Volendam a couple weeks ago.  In 2024 there were 300 cruise openings for priests and most everyone was full.  The 2025 he received showed only 71 cruises.

On 9/6/2024 at 6:47 PM, srsurman said:

Just curious, these priests were getting free room and board?  If so, seems like an easy cut if you're trying to manage a budget.  🤷‍♂️

Their room is not one that they can sell to a paying guest so the only expense is food and remember they do spend money on the ship too.  They not only have Mass for the guests but also the crew and provide counseling to families and crew when on board.

• Like 4

Some people attend DAILY mass onboard, not just Sundays.  Same goes for Holy Days.  We really appreciate having MASS.  And, think of the crew who are heavily Catholic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Some people attend DAILY mass onboard, not just Sundays.  Same goes for Holy Days.  We really appreciate having MASS.  And, think of the crew who are heavily Catholic.

As far as the crew not so much these days. You have many crew members from Malasia and Indonesia these days. Not like 10 or 15 years ago when there was a higher percentage from the Philippines.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Could not care less

I wonder if a more sympathetic attitude toward this subject might be possible.  For those who are sad that the mass may be gone, why not just say "I'm sorry for you" instead of "Don't bother me none so suck it up buttercup."  😐

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Looking at our Eurodam AK cruise in 2 weeks the app show mass for Sunday also a nondenominal service later. It IS important to us and we HAVE passed on shore excursions on Sunday to attend on land, many times we don't understand the language but we know the mass and what is happening really the only thing we miss out on is understanding the homily. So yes it is a big deal for us. HAL will now just be another option of cruise lines for us depending on where we will be on Sundays

On 9/7/2024 at 6:39 PM, iflyrc5 said:

Their room is not one that they can sell to a paying guest so the only expense is food and remember they do spend money on the ship too.  They not only have Mass for the guests but also the crew and provide counseling to families and crew when on board.

However it is a cabin that can be used for another crew member such as an entertainer. Crew cabins are one of the hard limits that cruise lines have to deal with. They seem to be reallocating entertainer slots these days from music walk back to main theater.

38 minutes ago, kirkc said:

Again, with no offense intended…why do Catholics feel that they should be a group set apart and that the line is obligated to accommodate their desires?

I don't think it's that so much as the fact that there were priests doing mass on a regular basis and now there aren't.  I never had the feeling anyone felt HAL was "obliged."  I might compare it to HAL taking away Lincoln Center.  Classical music fans did not think HAL "owed" them string quartets, but they did provide them and then they did take them away.  I know, not the same thing, but I think what I'm hearing from both groups is just disappointment that something they valued has disappeared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, leafsnation said:

Dont know if its true but I heard mass was being continued for the longer cruises?

Bob

The GWV includes a Catholic priest as well as Protestant and Jewish clergy.

• Thanks 1