Celebrity Summit Aqua Class Deck 11 or 9?

We are planning a Southbound Alaska cruise on the Summit in 2026 from Seward. I'm interested in AquaClass for access to Blu, otherwise would probably book concierge or verandah. After doing some research, it sounds like the. Deck 11 AquaClass balconies do not have a covering?  Also, that if it rains, the balcony holds the water, making it unusable.  Is this still true?  If so, are the aft-facing balconies any better? Since we would book at opening, I'm assuming we could snag one.

In Alaska, I'm not concerned about shelter from the sun, but a flooded balcony from likely rain would defeat the purpose!

If true, I would look at Deck 9, and hope for the best location to avoid noise from above (though it probably wouldn't bother me). 

We have sailed in Aqua in both locations. If your going with deck 9 then I would book starboard side around 9088. You want to avoid under the Oceanview cafe. I would also avoid port side near the inside cabins. We have not had any problems with noise from above.

Deck 11 are nice. Great location dock the back stairs to the Oceanview Cafe and the Sunset bar. Avoid cabins near the forward and aft doors. The photos are from the Summit deck 11 cabins 1114 and 1116. We had a drain on one of your balconies. While it does rain in Alaska. If sailing in May or Sept better chance of rain. We leave tomorrow for Alaska out of Vancouver on Solstice.

IMG_20150811_140934572.thumb.jpg.ef8f30206acfef4e3aa7e4a5bab428a2.jpgIMG_20150811_140915050_HDR.thumb.jpg.ebe4f3f229e2b3a1c6dd541a657d8b92.jpgIMG_20150811_140954960_HDR.thumb.jpg.cde61e5802d383642da71d37e2da1374.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

We are planning a Southbound Alaska cruise on the Summit in 2026 from Seward. I'm interested in AquaClass for access to Blu, otherwise would probably book concierge or verandah

Here's my take having just returned last night from the northbound Alaska itinerary on the Summit in Aqua Class on deck 9.  I went back and forth on this very decision.  I loved our location on deck 9, we didn't get any noise from the pool deck as we were in cabin 9052 under the solarium. Very quiet for us. We used the Persian Garden in the spa regularly and the hot tubs in the solarium so the location was ideal for that. However I did not like the over hang.  It was great for the rain which we did have in the forecast for most days but in reality we had only a couple days of a light rain. IMO it really obstructed the view above and especially to the sides where you see the supports. I've attached a few pics that show the obstruction.  What steered us away from deck 11 was the lack of covering for potential rain and we're just not big fans of being at the back of the ship.  Having now sailed on the Summit (this was our first celebrity cruise) is that the Aqua Class cabins are not in the best location for the upcharge, I feel they should be on a lower deck personally.  None of this by any means ruined our cruise, we had an amazing time.

We enjoyed Blu on the Summit so you'll get that with either choice.  We really had a great experience with Blu, the staff and food exceeded our expectations.  When we sail again with Celebrity we'll book an Aqua Class cabin with Blu being a big reason why.

Hope that helps!

IMG_8416.JPG

IMG_8418.JPG

IMG_8417.JPG

@JeffT237, oh, thank you so much for that.  I was concerned about the overhang. I do like to take pictures, so it wouldn’t be too hard to get out to an open space, but you are definitely more nestled into a den-like environment there, it seems. ‘

This would be our second Celebrity cruise, with the previous being Edge Class concierge (Apex). I don’t mind infinite verandahs and a sheltered environment, but I do like to look out when at the rail and see everything. Something to think about. 

I will have to see what the options are when the bookings open. I’m glad you al had a great cruise!  

On my Alaska Cruise several years ago I had 1140 on an M class ship.  PERFECT for Alaska, great wind break as well as close to the back stairs to the Sunset Bar and the OVC!  Loved that cabin so much that anytime I am sailing on M class I try to get one of the cabins on deck 11 aft end.  Love watching the wake of the ship as well!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rina155 said:

On my Alaska Cruise several years ago I had 1140 on an M class ship.  PERFECT for Alaska, great wind break as well as close to the back stairs to the Sunset Bar and the OVC!  Loved that cabin so much that anytime I am sailing on M class I try to get one of the cabins on deck 11 aft end.  Love watching the wake of the ship as well!

We sailed numerous times in the aft deck 11 cabins, especially in 1140. While I loved the wake view and the easy access to Sunset Bar, and I could tolerate the flagpole and red Maltese flag, there was one change that pretty much me off of these cabins - the newly renovated deck 12 movie screen.  The noise from the slam-bang-car-chase-explosion-filled films was overwhelmingly annoying.  Even with headphones, the noise came through loud and clear, and really interfered with my enjoyment of the balcony.  We are, however, looking forward to 3 cruises on Edge-class Sunset Balconies !!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ijscheer said:

We sailed numerous times in the aft deck 11 cabins, especially in 1140. While I loved the wake view and the easy access to Sunset Bar, and I could tolerate the flagpole and red Maltese flag, there was one change that pretty much me off of these cabins - the newly renovated deck 12 movie screen.  The noise from the slam-bang-car-chase-explosion-filled films was overwhelmingly annoying.  Even with headphones, the noise came through loud and clear, and really interfered with my enjoyment of the balcony.  We are, however, looking forward to 3 cruises on Edge-class Sunset Balconies !!

I wonder if that's an issue in Alaska. Am I mistaken that ships are required to keep their "noise pollution" to a minimum near the ports, like in Norway? Or is that just Norway? 

We loved our Summit aft facing Aqua stateroom on deck 11 last year. The short walk down the stairs to the sunset bar was super convenient. It was one of my favorite staterooms of all time. It was a Bermuda sailing. I loved watching the wake of the ship and I bet the views from the aft in Alaska will be great since you can see not only aft but also port and starboard sides. Juneau what I'm talking about? Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 3:58 PM, JeffT237 said:

Having now sailed on the Summit (this was our first celebrity cruise) is that the Aqua Class cabins are not in the best location for the up charge, I feel they should be on a lower deck personally.  None of this by any means ruined our cruise, we had an amazing time.

It was always commented here that Aqua Class was created to sell the worst cabin locations on the M class ships for a premium price. 

On 9/7/2024 at 4:47 PM, Rina155 said:

1140 was the first to sell out for many years. You were lucky to get it. 

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It was always commented here that Aqua Class was created to sell the worst cabin locations on the M class ships for a premium price. 

I had actually read that as well, however we booked later than we normally do when we cruise and this was the only balcony that was available at the time.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 1:26 PM, ijscheer said:

The noise from the slam-bang-car-chase-explosion-filled films was overwhelmingly annoying.  Even with headphones, the noise came through loud and clear, and really interfered with my enjoyment of the balcony. 

So much for a relaxing Spa like experience. I don't know what they were thinking when they added that Movie screen. Sometimes they just don't know when to stop.

We have also stayed in cabin #1131 last year & while we loved the cabin we could hear the movie louder than you could on the same deck it was showing on.  Yes, it ends around 11pm but the over 90 decibels showed on our Apple Watch many times throughout the day.  We did advise Customer Service although not sure they turned it down.  It was really annoying.

Edited by If only