Ben & David Epic

swjumbo

1 hour ago, Captain-John said:

I called it out on these boards a few years ago - and some people defended the condition of the Epic at the time/were happy to accept the condition and suggested I was being overly critical. Others shared my surprise and disappointment.

Based on the video and recollection of my own experience, Epic is really poorly maintained which is a shame as have never seen this with any other ship in the NCL fleet (including much older ships). It's almost like they have given up. Too many things to cover but it's not a good advert for the ship. But, for as long as people are willing to pay to go on Epic, NCL don't have any incentive to do anything about it.

You were definitely the canary in the coal mine 2 years ago.  Who would have thought 2 years later nothing was fixed and its even worse.  I don't get it.  NCL usually takes such good care of their ships.  Someone should ask NCL executives why they think this is acceptable.  RCCL, Carnival, or Celebrity don't have ships sailing in this condition.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

If you watich their video from last week, they mention that the YouTube algorthim is set so that the more negative a video is (and especially the clickbait titles) the higher it scores and moves to the top of the viewing que. That's why you see so many dramatic titles from many vloggers, in all catagories...to pull you in and for them to make more money.

They are playing the game, and playing it well,  

Agree.

All Youtube video's are to be taken with a grain of salt, but, Ben and David are ones we wrote off a long time ago. Their videos are of all of 2 categories - "It's awful!!" or "it's fantastic!!" - no balance of pros and cons. From a Youtube perspective generates better headlines and easier to produce. I haven't watched the video, but anyone can go on ANY cruise and make a video highlighting only all the faults (or only all the great things)

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Agree.

All Youtube video's are to be taken with a grain of salt, but, Ben and David are ones we wrote off a long time ago. Their videos are of all of 2 categories - "It's awful!!" or "it's fantastic!!" - no balance of pros and cons. From a Youtube perspective generates better headlines and easier to produce. I haven't watched the video, but anyone can go on ANY cruise and make a video highlighting only all the faults (or only all the great things)

That's what I said too until I watched the video.  I agree many times they are overly dramatic especially when they were asked to stop filming on MSC.  They are doing pros and cons.  They love the food, etc.  But the condition of the ship cannot be exaggerated.  As they say a picture or video is worth a thousand words.  The Spiegle tent is not even being used.  NCL used to put on some great shows there.  Entertainment is an Elvis impersonator and Burn the Floor.  After I watched the video, I found it rather disturbing.  The crowds I understand since its summer in Europe.  But the condition and lack of entertainment is really depressing to see.  Its unacceptable and a disgrace.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 10

26 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Agree.

If you had watched the video, you would have seen the pros, namely the food, service and a great itinerary. 

It didn't put me off booking NCL, I will just avoid that particular ship which was well-deserving of their criticism. Disliking a broken and filthy ship is not being a drama queen.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

It's no secret that they do not care for the NCL brand. If

I’ve never had that impression. I just started following them this year, but have watched almost all their older videos (that are still on YT). They used to be very NCL-focused and loved them.

In the past two years they did Bliss down to Mexico and the Jewel Hawaii-Alaska trip and loved both of those as well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Just watched Ben and David (YouTube with a huge following) on the Norwegian Epic.

Never been with Norwegian and this doesn’t really appeal to me.

Is it as bad as they say?

You lost me.

First, if Ben and David's following is "huge" as you say, then there is no need to point it out here. The size of the following doesn't guarantee the quality of the content.

Second, you say you've "never been with Norwegian and this doesn't really appeal to me". I have no issue with that. Not every line is for every person, and I can understand having no interest in something. That said, if you've never sailed with Norwegian, and it doesn't hold any appeal to you, then why are you watching this video? There are things I have never experienced and that I have no interest in experiencing, yet I don't find myself wanting to watch videos on these things.

Venturing a guess, but it seems like you actually DO have a degree of interest or you're interest is in negative content where you find the bashing to be entertaining.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

You lost me.

First, if Ben and David's following is "huge" as you say, then there is no need to point it out here. The size of the following doesn't guarantee the quality of the content.

Second, you say you've "never been with Norwegian and this doesn't really appeal to me". I have no issue with that. Not every line is for every person, and I can understand having no interest in something. That said, if you've never sailed with Norwegian, and it doesn't hold any appeal to you, then why are you watching this video? There are things I have never experienced and that I have no interest in experiencing, yet I don't find myself wanting to watch videos on these things.

Venturing a guess, but it seems like you actually DO have a degree of interest or you're interest is in negative content where you find the bashing to be entertaining.

To answer your questions…. and to be honest I’m slightly lost by yours but here goes.

Firstly, I thought this was a ‘critic’ discussion forum and I wanted to know from Norwegian customers if this video was a true reflection of the Epic. Most of the replies agree with B&D.

Secondly. I watched the video because I’m interested in other cruise lines. I couldn’t afford many ships but I do watch the videos. Likewise I probably would never venture into space but I’m interested in watching content about it.

Trust that’s ok?

• Like 2

Ben and David's review wasn't all bad.  They mentioned how wonderful the crew was and gushed over the food they were served in Moderno.

I think the condition of the ship is partly due to the fact that she hasn't had a true refurbishment in almost 10 years.

• Like 6

I respectfully disagree with this review.  I have sailed the Epic over 20 times and I haven't experienced or viewed any of the issues that Ben and David did. My last cruise on the Epic was on the transatlantic in April 2023 and it was fantastic.  As always, the crew was outstanding and so accommodating, the ship itself was very clean.  Of course, it needs an update, but that is coming in 2025.    Was this going to ruin my cruise experience?  Absolutely not.  Some people are not happy with anything.  I cruise alone so the so called "issues with the bathroom don't exist for me.  People need to do their homework when booking cruises so they can decide whether it is a good fit.   In closing, I defend the Epic, the crew members and their dedication and look forward to my back to back to back on the Epic in December, 2025.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Ben and David's review wasn't all bad.  They mentioned how wonderful the crew was and gushed over the food they were served in Moderno.

I think the condition of the ship is partly due to the fact that she hasn't had a true refurbishment in almost 10 years.

And if I am not mistaken, it is a ship that is priced accordingly by NCL  (i.e. cheaper). It's never a surprise that an older (and cheaper) ship will be more run down. Also to be expected that a less expensive older ship during peak holiday summer season in Europe will be over crowded. I guess I wonder (admitting I never watched the video) is that really the itinerary to get the best feel for te Epic?

I always want to get an idea of ... compared to what was paid for other ships in the same region at the same time with similar itineraries ... how good/bad was it? 

11 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

I respectfully disagree with this review.  I have sailed the Epic over 20 times and I haven't experienced or viewed any of the issues that Ben and David did. My last cruise on the Epic was on the transatlantic in April 2023 and it was fantastic.  As always, the crew was outstanding and so accommodating, the ship itself was very clean.  Of course, it needs an update, but that is coming in 2025.    Was this going to ruin my cruise experience?  Absolutely not.  Some people are not happy with anything.  I cruise alone so the so called "issues with the bathroom don't exist for me.  People need to do their homework when booking cruises so they can decide whether it is a good fit.   In closing, I defend the Epic, the crew members and their dedication and look forward to my back to back to back on the Epic in December, 2025.

I too love the Epic. No one is more in love with her than me.  But how anyone can look at that video and rationalize it is beyond me.  That shows that we cannot even be objective coming from us loyalists on the NCL board.  I don't think the Epic is outdated at all.  I even called David out for claiming it looked like it was designed in the mid 2000's.  It was!  I don't think its dated at all.  But its sadly tattered and in desperate need of repair.  BTW, water slides not functional and their pride and joy Spiegel tent not even in operation.  Even dated ships are kept clean and operational. One word:  Sad 

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

If you watich their video from last week, they mention that the YouTube algorthim is set so that the more negative a video is (and especially the clickbait titles) the higher it scores and moves to the top of the viewing que. That's why you see so many dramatic titles from many vloggers, in all catagories...to pull you in and for them to make more money.

They are playing the game, and playing it well,  

I like most of the cruise Vloggers.  These guys posted one a little while ago where they claimed they were hassled for videoing by staff because they were bothering other guests. They went on and on about it for a couple of videos.  I don't recall the ship or the cruise line.

If people feel you're being disrespectful for making vids on board, then stop being intrusive.  Their vids take a back seat....way in the back...to my enjoyment of my cruise.  I don't care if it's how you make money or not.  To complain about guests being disturbed by your filming, stop.  End of story.  Their complaints fell on deaf ears with me at that point.

At that point, I quit watching their vids.

I won't check out the vid, as I don't want to provide them with the eyeballs.  I will say, I sailed the Epic this time last year in the Mediterranean.  And, found it to be in great shape.  Little difficult to believe it has deteriorated that much in a year.

Deb, I've quit watching a lot of cruise vloggers for the same reason.  Many are going with the YT algorithms and going negative to get more eyeballs, regardless of cruise line.  

Some are helpful and give useful information.  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

And if I am not mistaken, it is a ship that is priced accordingly by NCL  (i.e. cheaper). It's never a surprise that an older (and cheaper) ship will be more run down. Also to be expected that a less expensive older ship during peak holiday summer season in Europe will be over crowded. I guess I wonder (admitting I never watched the video) is that really the itinerary to get the best feel for te Epic?

I always want to get an idea of ... compared to what was paid for other ships in the same region at the same time with similar itineraries ... how good/bad was it? 

Your older and cheaper argument doesn’t hold water with me.  In the last 10 months I’ve been on two older and cheaper cruise ships. I was on Royal Caribbeans Explorer of the Seas which was launched in 1999 and she was clean and beautiful.  I was also on the Carnival Spirit and she too was clean and beautiful.  The Spirit was in such good shape that I was shocked that she was going in for refurbishment this coming February.

Also, I don’t see where the Epic is any cheaper than most other lines doing Mediterranean cruises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MyriamS said:

Disliking a broken and filthy ship is not being a drama queen.

I never said it was. What I said is that the overall content of their channel is to provide shock and awe in the name of clicks. Clicks translate to revenue. There is economic benefit to drama. It is a business, and when you realize that, you need to apply that filter to any content you choose to watch.

There are lots of things we dislike about NCL, believe me on that. In our experience, we would not describe their ships as filthy or broken. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

In closing, I defend the Epic, the crew members and their dedication and look forward to my back to back to back on the Epic in December, 2025.

If you watched the video, they spent time praising the crew over and over, so I don't believe the crew are in need of your defense.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, swjumbo said:

To answer your questions…. and to be honest I’m slightly lost by yours but here goes.

Firstly, I thought this was a ‘critic’ discussion forum and I wanted to know from Norwegian customers if this video was a true reflection of the Epic. Most of the replies agree with B&D.

Secondly. I watched the video because I’m interested in other cruise lines. I couldn’t afford many ships but I do watch the videos. Likewise I probably would never venture into space but I’m interested in watching content about it.

Trust that’s ok?

Sure, it is "ok"...that was never in question. However, it still makes no sense. You clearly stated "Never been with Norwegian and this doesn’t really appeal to me." and I only stated that I don't understand why someone would bother to watch videos about something that really doesn't appeal to them. 

Great that you are interested in other cruise lines, but wouldn't your time be better spent watching videos where the content consists of cruise lines that actually DO appeal to you? Like in your example where you state that you ARE interested in content about space (even if you aren't going there) so you watch it....which is different than what we're discussing here because, unlike space, you've stated that you are NOT interested in Norwegian.

4 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Sure, it is "ok"...that was never in question. However, it still makes no sense. You clearly stated "Never been with Norwegian and this doesn’t really appeal to me." and I only stated that I don't understand why someone would bother to watch videos about something that really doesn't appeal to them. 

Great that you are interested in other cruise lines, but wouldn't your time be better spent watching videos where the content consists of cruise lines that actually DO appeal to you? Like in your example where you state that you ARE interested in content about space (even if you aren't going there) so you watch it....which is different than what we're discussing here because, unlike space, you've stated that you are NOT interested in Norwegian.

Thank you for your advice but I’m very happy to continue watching what I want to watch and happy to comment thereafter.

Glad that there’s a discussion on the Epic though.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I like most of the cruise Vloggers.  These guys posted one a little while ago where they claimed they were hassled for videoing by staff because they were bothering other guests. They went on and on about it for a couple of videos.  I don't recall the ship or the cruise line.

If people feel you're being disrespectful for making vids on board, then stop being intrusive.  Their vids take a back seat....way in the back...to my enjoyment of my cruise.  I don't care if it's how you make money or not.  To complain about guests being disturbed by your filming, stop.  End of story.  Their complaints fell on deaf ears with me at that point.

At that point, I quit watching their vids.

I won't check out the vid, as I don't want to provide them with the eyeballs.  I will say, I sailed the Epic this time last year in the Mediterranean.  And, found it to be in great shape.  Little difficult to believe it has deteriorated that much in a year.

Deb, I've quit watching a lot of cruise vloggers for the same reason.  Many are going with the YT algorithms and going negative to get more eyeballs, regardless of cruise line.  

Some are helpful and give useful information.  

Yes they were asked to stop by employees on MSC.

If you’d continued to watch their other videos you will have seen that MSC gave a full apology and invited them to their HQ to help write a new social media policy!

Interesting to no note that many people on this forum agree with them.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, complawyer said:

the credibility that someone gives to opinions on social media from  unknown people amazes me.

Says the unknown person on social media immediately before giving their opinion.

15 hours ago, complawyer said:

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Yes they were asked to stop by employees on MSC.

If you’d continued to watch their other videos you will have seen that MSC gave a full apology and invited them to their HQ to help write a new social media policy!

Thanks.  Couldn't recall the cruise line.

Who said they are part of MSC's media advisors?  Them?  Or, MSC?

Personally, if MSC apologized to them and not to the guests they were bothering, I'd be a little ticked off.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks.  Couldn't recall the cruise line.

Who said they are part of MSC's media advisors?  Them?  Or, MSC?

Personally, if MSC apologized to them and not to the guests they were bothering, I'd be a little ticked off.

Unless I’m getting paid to be in the background of a for-profit video, I’d want an apology too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Thank you for your advice but I’m very happy to continue watching what I want to watch and happy to comment thereafter.

Glad that there’s a discussion on the Epic though.

Happy cruising!

It wasn't advice...just stating my opinion. Which again is that while I support you being...in your own words..."very happy to continue watching what I want to watch"...I don't get how you claim it doesn't appeal to you in one post, but then you try to play the other side in another post.

Pick one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

One thing about the Interent is that if you have an opinion, there will be some people who agree. 

Doesn't make them right, though.

Ben and David are not my faves and I generally skip their videos unless there's something of interest to me. (I tend to prefer ParoDeeJay, Emma, Gary's Tips and the Life Well Cruised). As much as I like NCL, I never planned to go on the Epic. But the fact that this particular one caused a thread, well I decided to watch the 53 minute long video and fast forward through the sales pitch part.

When I watch a cruise video, I take into account who I'm watching and how their needs differ from mine. I'm very glad that the food and crew on the Epic were good. As far as the low ceilings, I'm 5 feet tall, so I wouldn't notice that.

But the outer decks and the stains, dirt and crumbling stuff on the video is somewhat offputting. B&D are sometimes drama queens, but not this time.

Edited by Ellis1138
  • Like 6