Pacific Explorer - Bed Bugs

Hello all, 

We're currently on the last night of s cruise.

First night of the cruise I noticed a couple of blood spots. No itching, so I thought I've scratched myself (I dobt know how, I scratched my back in my sleep, wishful thinking).

Whipped off the sheet & thin mattress protector - nothing. We are on single beds, the ones that lift to make bunks.

Saw a few more tiny spots over the last few nights - ignored it as no itching. 

Today - found the evidence actually crawling on me.

I've read that people have reported this and have been 'brushed off' (literally). 

The steward is on his break, I'll track him down soon.

I'm asking for opinions, I've done over 20 cruised on P&O & Princess and a few on RC. Never ever encountered this before.

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, steve1970 said:

Hello all, 

We're currently on the last night of s cruise.

First night of the cruise I noticed a couple of blood spots. No itching, so I thought I've scratched myself (I dobt know how, I scratched my back in my sleep, wishful thinking).

Whipped off the sheet & thin mattress protector - nothing. We are on single beds, the ones that lift to make bunks.

Saw a few more tiny spots over the last few nights - ignored it as no itching. 

Today - found the evidence actually crawling on me.

I've read that people have reported this and have been 'brushed off' (literally). 

The steward is on his break, I'll track him down soon.

I'm asking for opinions, I've done over 20 cruised on P&O & Princess and a few on RC. Never ever encountered this before.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to above, getting a specimen or two would help. Ziplock bag or small screw top container. Lots of denial in these previous P&O incidents, so "evidence" is the word of the day.

• Like 4

Update - Steward thought it couldn't be bed bugs.

He called the supervisor, who called another supervisor. 

I showed the photos of the said 'bug' (I actually found 1) and showed the dead bug. 

Linen was removed, room deep cleaned, and they treated all 4 mattresses. 

The supervisor did say they would have moved us on day 2 (when I first noticed tell-tale blood spots), but I said without the actual evidence, it could have been anything. 

They did offer medical assistance (3 times) but I hadn't noticed any reactions then, I can see them now though.

P&O have acted quickly, so I've got to give them points for that. I am surprised that more people haven't reported the same issue, as with any accommodation its the customer that bring the bugs with them.

• Like 1

Take care. I hope they respond according to industry code, and they make them go away.

Also important - make sure every base is covered so that you 100% don't take any home after your cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

We just came off the Pacific Explorer this morning and did not have any bed bugs 🙂.

We where on deck 8, at the front of the ship.

They avoid forward cabins. Bed bugs are prone to seasickness.

• Haha 7

For those that may not have read the post regarding bed bugs in a hotel, this tip will work on ships as well.

Before retirement I traveled extensively all over the world staying in all types of hotels. Bed bugs don't care if it's a 1 star or 5 star accommodation, they're very opportunist.

The recommendation of not putting your luggage on the floor, or another bed, is paramount in not bringing those uninvited guests home with you. Use the metal luggage valet, or place your suitcase on the top of the dresser during unpacking, and always close it tight when finished. 

Another tip our crew used was to fill a couple of empty 2 liter water bottles with hot water. Place the bottles on the bed under the top sheet and cover them. The bugs are attracted to the warmth of the bottles and will come looking for a meal. Check the bottom sheet near the bottles after about 30 minutes, if there are bed bugs in your bed you should see them. As was previously posted, checking the mattress cover for blood spots also works, but only if a previous guest has been bitten.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2