Prima 6 Oct 2024 Itinerary Change - Unreasonable

This morning, NCL notified Prima 6 Oct 2024 cruisers of an itinerary change citing fuel efficiency as the driver ("As we continue to optimize itineraries for fuel efficiency, as a part of our commitment to the environment and sustainability efforts, we have adjusted the itinerary below").

Two port visits in cities key to the itinerary were dropped.  One stop was substituted with a port call in a town of little historical significance and or little to see or do (especially in October).  The other stop became a sea day.

Yes, NCL can make changes per the carriage contract. To me this seems to be an unreasonable change.  The cruise was sold (and paid for by the cruisers) with the fuel cost already built in. It clearly wasn't a decision made last night.  NCL clearly waited until it was within one month (100% cancellation penalty) to notify their customers leaving most with no options. NCL is offering no compensation.

As a Haven, Retreat, and Star class cruiser, I will think twice before booking with NCL again and am seriously thinking about cancelling my upcoming Oceania Vista cruise.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Could you please tell us the specific itinerary changes?  I'm so sorry - personally I'd much prefer the fuel surcharge being added than losing ports, especially in Europe, but NCL seems to think most cruisers would prefer the cancellations since this has been a consistent choice they've made.      Someone also started this thread and you might also want to add your experiences to this:  

I'm hesitant to book again with NCL since they dropped a port on our last cruise after final payment to help the environment , and. my last three cruises have been with other lines.  The two cruises I considered with NCL both had itinerary changes - the Prima being unable to dock in Isafjorour all season two years ago since the lifeboats can't be used as tenders and the dock wasn't completed in time (an Icelandic construction project, but still NCL should have considered the possibility of construction overruns and put a ship on this route that could tender if necessary) and the Iceland/Norway cruise I considered last summer dropped the one port in Norway I hadn't been to yet (Alesund) and replaced it with a much less interesting one.   

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 3

usually, i can roll with the punches if an itinerary is changed. 2016-2017 our cruise cancelled taipei and hanoi. to me it was a massive disappointment, but ncl deducted 50% of the price i had paid (we were in a penthouse suite) and deducted 50% on whatever following cruise i wanted to take. not a bad exchange, although i understand they have never again been that generous.

last year they made an announcement that they are canceling Berlin, just as we were about to board the elevator. we've been to a great number of european capitol cities, and we really were looking forward to Berlin. but no such luck.

in my many past posts, it may have seen as if i was an ncl cheerleader , and willing to turn a blind eye. admittedly, in 30 ncl cruises i have not had much to complain about albeit what i considered "minor annoyances"

all that being said, however, we're leaving in 2 weeks for a 10 day cruise on the prima from reykjavick  to southampton. port stop in brugge. if this is cancelled, i will be po'd big time.

still, i will forgive this, as we are also booked on the dawn this nov from barcelona to capetown.

the 1st 2 ports are listed in morocco. so far, no excursions have been listed. if we bypass morocco, i may have to re-evaluate my fascination with ncl, even though that will be our 32nd cruise with them, and we hold diamond latitude status.

• Like 5

I just got one of these itinerary change emails this morning as well, but for a December sailing on Prima. Port stop in Bermuda cancelled and replaced with a sea day citing the same reason - fuel efficiency. Of course, this cruise is past final payment date (93 days out), otherwise I would cancel as dropping this port turns what was a pretty good itinerary into one that's now meh. 

In true NCL practice, they haven't updated the website for the itinerary and continue to sell this cruise advertising a stop in Bermuda.

• Like 3

Changes:

• Swapped out Oporto (Porto) Portugal and replaced with Vigo Spain
  • Eliminated Cartagena Spain, replaced with a Sea Day

Unfortunately only one stop now in Portugal.  What attracted us to this cruise was the fact that there was only one sea day (first day) followed by port stops until Rome.

We did the reverse did the reverse itinerary (Southampton to Iceland) on the Prima in June.  It was delightful. 

image.thumb.png.207c9746dd657cfb556af92ba9e3f3d9.png

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, vetteman06 said:

That's too bad - this is cruise people would have chosen for itinerary.  Also, it's too bad they didn't give you more time in Lisbon - with a 3 pm time I don't think it would be possible to visit Sintra for half a day.  If that's your only stop in Portugal a full day would have been helpful.

Its like canceling a panama canal transit on a panama canal transit cruise - and telling everyone we're gonna add sea days . . . .

But - as I have said - the cruise contract has ZERO guarantee of ANY port or day - and they can literally put you in a dinghy, cruise you around the port, come back to a dock with a restaurant, pick up the tab and do that every day of the cruise . . . 

• Haha 1

I have a feeling that the cruise line (maybe all cruise lines?) is getting pressure from the EU. This post made me check my email and yep, there’s an itinerary change for 10/28. 

I’m bummed. We had an excursion planned for Corfu that I was really looking forward to. I didn’t know what to do in Malta during the long day we previously had… and now we’ve got an extra 2 hours. 

2A373239-465C-4AF6-A7F4-7E3C501FBD03.png

• Like 1

We got a port cancellation this am for our January  Prima cruise. Did not anticipate they would stop at Grand Caymen as we still did not have any excursion options for the port.  If we had to lose one of the ports we were ok with that one as many times we have not made it in due to weather and tenders.  Still, waiting 5 days after final payment to cancel is bad business.  Oh well, will enjoy the extra time in the other ports and fingers crossed they don't cancel any more.image.thumb.png.e0f1c35e8a04f243b83c5fca3cc1e310.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BunnyHutt said:

I have a feeling that the cruise line (maybe all cruise lines?) is getting pressure from the EU. This post made me check my email and yep, there’s an itinerary change for 10/28. 

I’m bummed. We had an excursion planned for Corfu that I was really looking forward to. I didn’t know what to do in Malta during the long day we previously had… and now we’ve got an extra 2 hours. 

disregard pressure from EU comment. I see this reason is frequently cited, regardless of location. 

bunnyhut. it is truly upsetting to  miss corfu. truly beautiful island, and there is a 12th century monastery that is a must see.

if you have any interest in archeology, one of the shore excursions from mykonos was a short ferry ride to delos. this island was allegedly the birthplace of Appolo, and Diana. 

it is now entirely a protected archeological sight. only people who inhabit the place are archeologists and scientists but historically, it does take you back a few 1000 years

if this isnt your cup of tea, just walking around observing the island is a nice way to spend the afternoon. 

We did a cruise on NCL last year, where the day after we left Southampton, they cancelled all 3 ports on the west coast of Ireland, the main reason for our cruise, the weather on the cruise before was awful, but ours wasn’t no reason really given, we rolled with it, although disappointed no compensation for an extra sea day and two fairly insignificant ports instead. 
I made the mistake of buying future credits, which to be honest I have found hard to book anything against, 

Then we saw this cruise with only one sea day and going to Porto the only port we haven’t been too, now neither of these are happening, if anyone finds anything interesting to do in Vigo please let me know I haven’t in any of our previous visits !!!!! 
we have had more ports cancelled in total on two NCL cruises than we have had in total with dozens of other cruises in our 30 years of cruising. 
I very much doubt I will use my other future cruise credits, feels like a lot of over promising and under delivering  to me. 
Some changes can’t be avoided but saving fuel really !!!!!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

While I’ve not been to Corfu (it was canceled on our cruise in 2021), I will tell you that Olympia is a great stop.  Take the excursion to the Original Olympic site and the archeological museum there.  Also, as @complawyer said, the excursion to Delos from Mykonos is also a not-to-miss.  In addition to the archeologists and scientists, the island is also home to lots of stray cats.  Take cat food or treats if you can.  

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

While I’ve not been to Corfu (it was canceled on our cruise in 2021), I will tell you that Olympia is a great stop.  Take the excursion to the Original Olympic site and the archeological museum there.  Also, as @complawyer said, the excursion to Delos from Mykonos is also a not-to-miss.  In addition to the archeologists and scientists, the island is also home to lots of stray cats.  Take cat food or treats if you can.  

We are already booked on the trip for Delos. 😁 Yeah, I think we will be sure to go to the Olympic site… just bummed to miss out on an excursion that was more nature versus ruins. Will be sure to bring kitty treats!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vetteman06 said:

Changes:

• Swapped out Oporto (Porto) Portugal and replaced with Vigo Spain
  • Eliminated Cartagena Spain, replaced with a Sea Day

Unfortunately only one stop now in Portugal.  What attracted us to this cruise was the fact that there was only one sea day (first day) followed by port stops until Rome.

We did the reverse did the reverse itinerary (Southampton to Iceland) on the Prima in June.  It was delightful. 

But,,, you also get much better port calls in Cadiz, Barcelona, and Cannes. Something you omitted in your description. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

But,,, you also get much better port calls in Cadiz, Barcelona, and Cannes. Something you omitted in your description. 

No you don't ..one is extra sea say , cutting out two of the more more desirable ports and BCN isn't any better for port time. Cannes is more but that's the most meh port in this itinerary. It's like cutting ABC islands and adding extra two hours in Nassau 😂 

Total port time is around 6hrs less in total in revised itinerary 

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jem 12 said:

Teimme risteilyn NCL:llä viime vuonna, jossa päivä sen jälkeen kun lähdimme Southamptonista, he peruuttivat kaikki 3 satamaa Irlannin länsirannikolla, mikä oli tärkein syy risteilyllemme, sää oli risteilyllä aikaisemmalla kauhea, mutta meillä ei. varsinaista syytä ei annettu, rullasimme sen kanssa, vaikka pettyimme ilman korvausta ylimääräisestä meripäivästä ja sen sijaan kahdesta melko merkityksettömästä satamasta. 
Tein virheen ostaessani tulevia luottoja, joita vastaan minun on rehellisesti sanottuna ollut vaikea varata mitään, 

Sitten näimme tämän risteilyn, jossa oli vain yksi meripäivä ja menossa Portoon ainoaan satamaan, jossa emme ole myöskään käyneet, nyt ei tapahdu kumpaakaan, jos joku löytää jotain mielenkiintoista tekemistä Vigosta, ilmoita minulle, etten ole missään aiemmista vierailuistamme !!!!! 
meillä on kahdella NCL:n risteilyllä peruttu yhteensä enemmän satamia kuin yhteensä kymmenillä muilla risteilyillä 30 vuoden risteilymme aikana. 
Epäilen suuresti, että käytän muita tulevia risteilykrediittejäni, se tuntuu liian lupaavalta ja liian vähäiseltä. 
Joitakin muutoksia ei voi välttää, mutta säästää polttoainetta todella!!!!!!! 

Take train from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela, it´s only 1 hour and easy to walk from Santiago´s train station to the cathedral.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

.....nice distraction....if someone had wanted better port times in Cadiz, Barcelona, and Cannes, then I can only assume they wouldn't have booked the originally advertised itinerary.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Actually the more I think about it the more annoyed I am, some port cancellations can’t be avoided, but the reason given is pathetic and actually feels to me like bait and switch, not the way you want to start a cruise. 
Are cruuse credits transferable as I can’t see us ever travelling on NCL in the future too unreliable. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

.....nice distraction....if someone had wanted better port times in Cadiz, Barcelona, and Cannes, then I can only assume they wouldn't have booked the originally advertised itinerary.

Are you the least bit surprised by that post?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jem 12 said:

Actually the more I think about it the more annoyed I am, some port cancellations can’t be avoided, but the reason given is pathetic and actually feels to me like bait and switch, not the way you want to start a cruise. 
Are cruuse credits transferable as I can’t see us ever travelling on NCL in the future too unreliable. 

Yep, well said. Hurricanes, civil unrest, medical emergencies, unexpected mechanical failure....it all happens and while unfortunate, is understandable. Matters of convenience....well, not so much.

We are still holding NCL cruise next certificates though. We are hoping to dump them in 2025 on a last minute $299 Alaska run or a Caribbean itinerary. We've been blessed to visit the islands countless times, so when they monkey around with our ports, it won't matter to us too much.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jem 12 said:

We did a cruise on NCL last year, where the day after we left Southampton, they cancelled all 3 ports on the west coast of Ireland, the main reason for our cruise, the weather on the cruise before was awful, but ours wasn’t no reason really given, we rolled with it, although disappointed no compensation for an extra sea day and two fairly insignificant ports instead. 
I made the mistake of buying future credits, which to be honest I have found hard to book anything against, 

Then we saw this cruise with only one sea day and going to Porto the only port we haven’t been too, now neither of these are happening, if anyone finds anything interesting to do in Vigo please let me know I haven’t in any of our previous visits !!!!! 
we have had more ports cancelled in total on two NCL cruises than we have had in total with dozens of other cruises in our 30 years of cruising. 
I very much doubt I will use my other future cruise credits, feels like a lot of over promising and under delivering  to me. 
Some changes can’t be avoided but saving fuel really !!!!!!! 

I booked this cruise precisely for the northern Spain and Portugal stops. I am most disappointed about the Portugal port (Oporto) and started researching Vigo.  Other than it is in Galicia where we have never been there does not appear to be much.  Does anyone know if the town is readily accessible to the port?  It is a major fishing port so I am hoping it is.  Given the port intensive nature of the cruise one additional sea day is nice since the only other one was day 2.  I agree more time in Lisbon and less in Cannes would have been preferable.  That is probably going to be the day we do the least in port.  But I am still looking forward to the trip--3 days in London pre cruise.  And for the record we were also on the Prima last summer when Isjandour (I can never spell that correctly!) was cancelled but the rest of the trip was a dream!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gilboman said:

No you don't ..one is extra sea say , cutting out two of the more more desirable ports and BCN isn't any better for port time. Cannes is more but that's the most meh port in this itinerary. It's like cutting ABC islands and adding extra two hours in Nassau 😂 

Total port time is around 6hrs less in total in revised itinerary 

For me Barcelona times are ok since we have been there several times and I planned a short trip to Parc Guell and then some stroll time.  But for those who have never been that time should have been included to do some of the major sites, museums etc in greater depth without worrying about making back to the ship in time!  I agree about Cannes. Guess that will be a short on and off and then back to the ship to enjoy a port day with less people which we almost never do!