Just off Celebrity and wow did I miss Princess!

kaerofan

1 hour ago, kaerofan said:

Pizza, cookies and popcorn were merely a few examples.  For those not able to follow along, here are some more.....  fatty, overcooked steak (sent back twice), pancakes I could have bounced off the floor, gave up on dessert because they all tasted the same (or should I say had no taste), pasta wasn't too bad but marinara sauce reminded me of Ragu..... shall I go on?

Opinions are ......

I have had excellent service on Celebrity & Princess. No one line is always the best or worst.

Lucky we have choices!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

Kind of funny in that we think that Celebrities food has dropped more than Princess food has over the past few years.

I wouldn't know about Celebrity, but we did enjoy most of the MDR and buffet food on Reflection... Some of it was excellent. Especially escargot - couldn't get enough!

🙂

But when I compare 2024 Enchanted food to 2022 Enchanted food and pre-covid Princess food, I can tell that it's gotten a lot more boring and basic.

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

For all 3 lines it is basically hotel banquet, mass produced quality with a larger selection.  

I am totally fine with hotel banquet food. But beans with a steak, Princess? Seriously? I am not picky, but even I was side eyeing this masterpiece:

image.thumb.jpeg.a6e16ca31d078c62690604bd65fc9757.jpeg

in what book is this a good choice? I'll take fries or mashed potatoes or broccoli or a veggie medley instead of this canned response.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 5

The OP prefers Princess.  Not surprising since this is the Princess forum.  Can we just move on?

Both cruise lines have their pros and cons.

I prefer Celebrity because there ships don't feel like a floating retirement home, but also cruise Princess because they have better pricing.  Let the haters hate.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jaspersmommy said:

Seriously???  Food is a somewhat subjective thing, but to say it’s mediocre on X, or Reflection specifically, isn’t even close to accurate. I don’t think that being the best at sea for pizza is quite what X is striving for, but overall their food is as good as can be expected for a mainstream cruise line. You are right about the entertainment, it isn’t outstanding - but it doesn’t seem to be a top demand for the typical X cruiser. 

Show me a cruise line that isn’t price-gouging. They are all trying to maximize profits. I just booked two Princess cruises and am annoyed with having to add packages with numerous unwanted extras I don’t need or want just to get the few things I do need and want. Princess can claim no moral high ground on pricing. 

If you booked X for pizza and entertainment, then no wonder you’re disappointed. There are a ton of other things they do extremely well and it’s unfortunate you weren’t able to allow yourself to enjoy any of them.  But, saying the food is mediocre and that the ship is dark and dismal is very inaccurate and sounds like maybe you were determined not to enjoy yourself because it wasn’t what you are used to. 

You also can’t compare a quickie 4 day cruise on any line with a longer itinerary on another line. I actually go back and forth between lines based on pricing. I booked a this last minute unplanned cruise on Celebrity because it is a cheap getaway. I’m booked on Princess 2026 for Europe because of price and a low REFUNDABLE deposit Celebrity hasn’t even released spring/summer 2026 yet and it will cost more to book it refundable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, leck57 said:

I'm surprised that you think Princess lacks entertainment. On our recent cruise, in addition to the twice nightly show, there was always some sort of musicians in the Piazza, a guitar/vocalist in the Crown Grill bar, comedian or band in the Vista lounge before it turned into the nightclub. This is in addition to the usual game shows, trivia etc.

We find Celebrity to be lacking in the entertainment plus the entertainment often takes place in the piazza where there is not enough space for people to sit/dance etc.

I agree that Celebrity has better cabins, except for storage where Princess wins hands down in my opinion. On Reflection storing items in units above the bed is not great.

They both lack exciting entertainment. It’s like watching Lawrence Welk with my grandmother. As far as storage Princess wins hands down. However, I don’t feel that my clothes and luggage should have better accommodations than I do. Also I don’t like seeing the exposed closet the first thing when you walk in the room or when walking down the companion way when the stewards have the doors open while servicing the room.

28 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don’t expect entertainment on a 4 night cruise to be the best and as far as lectures, I don’t consider that entertainment.  In my experience Royal Caribbean has better more up to date entertainment over Princess and Celebrity. 

Same here.  Not sure why I would take my vacation time to listen to a live lecture.  It's not college.  When you peek into the said lectures, sometimes you'll see some audience members "resting their eyes."  One could literally find a video on the Internet about any subject and watch it at home. Same difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I do not eat beans unless it's baby lima beans.

Red beans and corn bread.   

I think we may have slightly different tastes!  

1 hour ago, kaerofan said:

Pizza, cookies and popcorn were merely a few examples.  For those not able to follow along, here are some more.....  fatty, overcooked steak (sent back twice), pancakes I could have bounced off the floor, gave up on dessert because they all tasted the same (or should I say had no taste), pasta wasn't too bad but marinara sauce reminded me of Ragu..... shall I go on?

Desserts, especially pastries have been tasteless on Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean long before Covid. They all must get them from the same place the hotels get them from for their buffets

• Like 2

Is that combination even still on the menu???  OHHHH MY !

Don't get me wrong, I was born in the South, and I can enjoy me some beans.

But, this, on a cruise ship with a steak????

Just seeing the menus, it is obvious that Princess is cutting back EVEN MORE when it comes to the quality of food and the menu.

On the Sun Princess,  I am going to miss the varied buffet, with nightly specials, that we had on our last cruise.  But, then again, once when I made my plate and went back to get Beef Wellington, only to see that it had disappeared (whisked away to fill MDR orders, or for some upper echelon ship's staff).  😪

• Like 2

I was on the same cruise as the OP. I would be in agreement on most things. When we researched Celebrity - we read the food was outstanding. Maybe our expectations were high. I will say the menus were very uninspiring. There was no actual appetizers outside of Shrimp Cocktail or Escargot - only soup and salad. The food was not terrible - just rather bland or too salty I would rate it just ok. I think the buffet had a LOT of selection. I agree the Entertainment lacked, and some of the spaces they used just did not work.

I think an area they shined - the staff were outstanding. Probably the most friendly we have experienced. I will say we liked the bathroom which felt more spacious but to get that you give up a lot of closet/storage space which we really like. For 3 days it is not a huge issue but anything longer it would not be as doable.

I think some of you on this thread have said it best - you like what you like and there isnt anything wrong with that. We all choose different lines for different reasons!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Desserts, especially pastries have been tasteless on Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean long before Covid. They all must get them from the same place the hotels get them from for their buffets

Princess had wonderful desserts on Enchanted in Nov 2022 (buffet and IC). I raved about them in my review (see signature). This time (June 2024) I was sorely disappointed - none of the desserts I had in 2022 were present.

7 hours ago, asctony said:

What X ship? What were you disappointed about it?

Didn't say I was disappointed...just underwhelmed.  They offered nothing above and beyond what Princess offers.  I believe it was the Silhouette.

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I wouldn't know about Celebrity, but we did enjoy most of the MDR and buffet food on Reflection... Some of it was excellent. Especially escargot - couldn't get enough!

🙂

But when I compare 2024 Enchanted food to 2022 Enchanted food and pre-covid Princess food, I can tell that it's gotten a lot more boring and basic.

I am totally fine with hotel banquet food. But beans with a steak, Princess? Seriously? I am not picky, but even I was side eyeing this masterpiece:

image.thumb.jpeg.a6e16ca31d078c62690604bd65fc9757.jpeg

in what book is this a good choice? I'll take fries or mashed potatoes or broccoli or a veggie medley instead of this canned response.

I bet you could have asked for some other sides.

9 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Cannot comment on Celebrity. We were up until last year regulars with P&O, but due to a far less than satisfactory cruise on Ventura last year I am shortly going on Sky Princess. Sadly our days of cruises more than 14 nights may be over after this one. So all being well we will make the most of this one which is 31 nights Canada and New England. Many have or are commenting on loyalty to a cruise line and whilst I don't want to change the discussion on whether Celebrity or Princess it really bring home to me the need for cruise lines to maintain standards because whether you are like myself of the older generation or a young cruiser starting out either with your boyfriend/girlfriend/friend or as a family it doesn't take much to either extol the virtues or put down a cruise line. Of course there are some who stay loyal whatever. 

We have mostly been loyal to Princess since 2010, but have, in the meanwhile, sailed on MSC, NCL, Royal, Cunard as well as Princess. We still think Princess "fits" us the best at this point in time.  We like the ships and crew, and we think the itineraries are the most interesting especially for the money. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Same here.  Not sure why I would take my vacation time to listen to a live lecture.  It's not college.  When you peek into the said lectures, sometimes you'll see some audience members "resting their eyes."  One could literally find a video on the Internet about any subject and watch it at home. Same difference.

I dunno, I've enjoyed some of the guest lecturers on Celebrity in the past.  I remember one who had a series on the real CSI.  I find it refreshing to have an activity that's not trying to sell you something.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

I bet you could have asked for some other sides.

I didn't realize at the time of ordering how bad it would be. The menu didn't say "a side of canned beans."

image.jpeg.56bd04173c6cbe2c607ae9bc90717ee3.jpeg

Plus, I am usually interested only in meat... It wasn't the only entree with this side - time after time I was wondering what the heck was happening with Princess food which I had always found to be great.

We do love Princess, mostly for its food, though, and I already booked our next year's Princess cruise (also on Enchanted) and I am thinking about booking Regal for 2026, but they really have to rethink the beans.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Princess had wonderful desserts on Enchanted in Nov 2022 (buffet and IC). I raved about them in my review (see signature). This time (June 2024) I was sorely disappointed - none of the desserts I had in 2022 were present.

It seems to me that all the desserts on any Princess ship are the same. 

I can never get to excited about them myself and usually resort to a dish of ice cream since we don't buy it at home. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SCX22 said:

We listened to some fabulous and relevant lectures on Princess in Alaska. 
Also lectures on how the ship works which DH loved. 

8 hours ago, ericosmith said:

I dunno, I've enjoyed some of the guest lecturers on Celebrity in the past.  I remember one who had a series on the real CSI.  I find it refreshing to have an activity that's not trying to sell you something.  

Often there are opportunities to interact and additional Q&A sessions.

We do like those with some substance and knowledgeable speakers.

17 hours ago, 555 said:

Not me.

I can still remember my dad at 91 years old slowly walking across the street, using his cane and stopping to pick up an old penny lying in the street. I guess I take after him in some ways.

I still pick up pennies in the UK. Don't know if you have the same saying " If you pick a penny up all day long you'll have good luck" Never worked out that way for me but what the heck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Yep, that's me. 

Aaaaahhh!!! Now I see how having a live studio audience can really ...

• Haha 2