What HAL department re issue with a "free bonus cruise?

Tampa Girl

A friend, having worked at a Carnival Corp. resort during the summer, was given her choice of possible cruises, including WC's.  She was gifted with a segment of the Zuiderdam WC, which would drop her off in Singapore.  She had not requested that cruise, having requested the full 124-day cruise.  Is there a particular Department that handles "free" cruise allocations that she could call?  I have forgotten the name of the Department that actually allocates the cabins and guarantee placements.  The resort is totally out of the picture at this point.

There should be something on the certificate that tells how to redeem it. I would try the regular general reservations number at  1–877–932–4259 or 206-626-7020.  Do it during the day, during Pacific time between 8 - 5 for best results.

Holland America gives their Alaska summer employees a free cruise if they complete their full summer contract. It’s an employee recruitment and detainment tool. The other Carnival lines do the same thing. Most we’ve talked to seem to go for a Caribbean or Hawaii cruise. When we were on the 2023 Grand World, there were 3 Alaska staff on full 128 day free cruises. Apparently they request what cruise they want. If it’s something like a Grand Voyage, they put their name in and there’s a draw. That’s what they told us, anyway. One of them got VERY lucky and ended up winning the full 2024 GWV her next summer, as well.

I doubt employee perks are handled by the same department that handles passengers on promotional offers. Maybe your friend should contact HR?

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 3

Very nice perk for HAL staff at its hotels.  Too bad they don't do the same for the ship staff of waiters, room stewards, bar tenders, etc.  But I guess they would not want to spend their vacation time on a ship, having just gotten off of the ship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Holland America gives their Alaska summer employees a free cruise if they complete their full summer contract. It’s an employee recruitment and detainment tool. The other Carnival lines do the same thing. Most we’ve talked to seem to go for a Caribbean or Hawaii cruise. When we were on the 2023 Grand World, there were 3 Alaska staff on full 128 day free cruises. Apparently they request what cruise they want. If it’s something like a Grand Voyage, they put their name in and there’s a draw. That’s what they told us, anyway. One of them got VERY lucky and ended up winning the full 2024 GWV her next summer, as well.

Wow! Maybe my husband and I should try this in retirement. Work a summer contract and get a free world cruise? Not a bad trade-off!

1 hour ago, ccqueenanne said:

Wow! Maybe my husband and I should try this in retirement. Work a summer contract and get a free world cruise? Not a bad trade-off!

Not many people would want to work the hours for the little pay these summer workers get; and they do not all get WC's as a perk.  My friend got 1/2of the '25 WC, dumping her off in Singapore.  Not a good deal, and she refused it.  Further, it was hard work, requiring standing for 8 hours straight.  I assume, however, that there were occasional breaks, but after the breaks, back to standing until the next break.  My friend is 84 years old.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Not many people would want to work the hours for the little pay these summer workers get; and they do not all get WC's as a perk.  My friend got 1/2of the '25 WC, dumping her off in Singapore.  Not a good deal, and she refused it.  

HAL’s website shows the 55 day Ft. Lauderdale to Singapore segment of the 2025 World Cruise as costing $10,500+ per person including taxes for an inside room. I would have considered it a “good deal” to get half a World Cruise as a bonus. Getting a full world cruise would be like winning the lottery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I briefly worked as a bus driver for Holland America - Princess’s tour subsidiary in Anchorage, we were only promised a free one week long cruise on a selection of various Carnival Corporation owned cruiselines, anywhere in the world, IF we completed working two full Alaska season’s. And one more each year thereafter . We would also get employee rates (basically just a bit more than port taxes and fees), on anything beyond that.  This was in 2018.  Sounds like a better incentive now…🙂

On 9/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, bob brown said:

When I briefly worked as a bus driver for Holland America - Princess’s tour subsidiary in Anchorage, we were only promised a free one week long cruise on a selection of various Carnival Corporation owned cruiselines, anywhere in the world, IF we completed working two full Alaska season’s. And one more each year thereafter . We would also get employee rates (basically just a bit more than port taxes and fees), on anything beyond that.  This was in 2018.  Sounds like a better incentive now…🙂

After COVID - I think the 2021 summer season - a number of land tours were cancelled because they couldn’t get enough people to staff the hotels in Alaska. Most of these people dropped the cruise portion as well. It cost the cruise lines a ton of revenue when they needed the money the most. I imagine the incentives were beefed up considerably, and they do feature prominently on their hiring webpage.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 1:44 AM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

After COVID - I think the 2021 summer season - a number of land tours were cancelled because they couldn’t get enough people to staff the hotels in Alaska. Most of these people dropped the cruise portion as well. It cost the cruise lines a ton of revenue when they needed the money the most. I imagine the incentives were beefed up considerably, and they do feature prominently on their hiring webpage.

I had not  thought of that as the logical reason for these incentives.  Thank you.  To close out this thread, my friend yesterday was told that she had not only gotten the '25 WC, but a few minutes later was told that she also had gotten the Pole - Pole!  What a decision to make . . . !  

• Like 5

On 9/18/2024 at 8:09 AM, Tampa Girl said:

I had not  thought of that as the logical reason for these incentives.  Thank you.  To close out this thread, my friend yesterday was told that she had not only gotten the '25 WC, but a few minutes later was told that she also had gotten the Pole - Pole!  What a decision to make . . . !  

Oh, that is awesome!❤️❤️❤️❤️