Parking and getting to cruise terminal in New York

KAMEY11

We are going on our first MSC cruise out of NY next month. We are not new to cruising but are new to MSC. We are driving to Brooklyn and staying overnight then heading to the terminal the day of the cruise. Due to severe issues with my ears we are unable to fly otherwise we certainly would not drive to NY especially since we have been hearing that it is very unsafe. I was wondering if there is any ferry or other kind of service that would take us /our vehicle from Brooklyn to the cruise terminal? Or if there is a ferry that takes us there and a place where we can park our car if it does not take vehicles? This would cut down on the stress of driving to the terminal. I do not drive and I know my husband is going to be stressed enough driving to New York. If I could find a way to help cut down on his anxiety of having to drive in NY traffic I will do it.  Any suggestions would be very helpful in lowering my stress level over this. We are worried enough about being safe. When we booked we did not know the area was unsafe. I have heard there are places to park and you can walk to the terminal. My husband is disabled and has a hard time walking some days so parking a ways from the terminal and walking is not an option. Plus we will have a bit of luggage.

Edited by KAMEY11

Forgive me if an answer is somewhere on this board. I have searched a lot of topics and replies but if I have missed something I am sorry. We are going on our first MSC cruise out of NY next month. We are not new to cruising but are new to MSC. We are driving to Brooklyn and staying overnight then heading to the terminal the day of the cruise. Due to severe issues with my ears we are unable to fly otherwise we certainly would not drive to NY especially since we have been hearing that it is very unsafe. I was wondering if there is any ferry or other kind of service that would take us /our vehicle from Brooklyn to the cruise terminal? Or if there is a ferry that takes us there and a place where we can park our car if it does not take vehicles? This would cut down on the stress of driving to the terminal. I do not drive and I know my husband is going to be stressed enough driving to New York. If I could find a way to help cut down on his anxiety of having to drive in NY traffic I will do it.  Any suggestions would be very helpful in lowering my stress level over this. We are worried enough about being safe. When we booked we did not know the area was unsafe. I have heard there are places to park and you can walk to the terminal. My husband is disabled and has a hard time walking some days so parking a ways from the terminal and walking is not an option. Plus we will have a bit of luggage.

MSC usually sails from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal https://cruise.nyc/brooklyn-terminal

The current schedule is posted at https://cruise.nyc/BCT-Schedule along with terminal information. Parking is available at the terminal - but it is not cheap [$45 per night].

There is a thread on this forum that should have some lodging discussion. We are almost local to the port, so I have no direct information about lodging.

1 hour ago, KAMEY11 said:

Forgive me if an answer is somewhere on this board. I have searched a lot of topics and replies but if I have missed something I am sorry. We are going on our first MSC cruise out of NY next month. We are not new to cruising but are new to MSC. We are driving to Brooklyn and staying overnight then heading to the terminal the day of the cruise. Due to severe issues with my ears we are unable to fly otherwise we certainly would not drive to NY especially since we have been hearing that it is very unsafe. I was wondering if there is any ferry or other kind of service that would take us /our vehicle from Brooklyn to the cruise terminal? Or if there is a ferry that takes us there and a place where we can park our car if it does not take vehicles? This would cut down on the stress of driving to the terminal. I do not drive and I know my husband is going to be stressed enough driving to New York. If I could find a way to help cut down on his anxiety of having to drive in NY traffic I will do it.  Any suggestions would be very helpful in lowering my stress level over this. We are worried enough about being safe. When we booked we did not know the area was unsafe. I have heard there are places to park and you can walk to the terminal. My husband is disabled and has a hard time walking some days so parking a ways from the terminal and walking is not an option. Plus we will have a bit of luggage.

First, as the previous poster said, MSC sails from Brooklyn, so you can just drive from wherever you're staying to the cruise terminal and park there. There are no ferries or other ways to get your car from your lodging to the cruise terminal.

Second, please permit me to disabuse you of the idea that NY City is "very unsafe". In fact per this recent study NY City is the safest big US city for gun violence:  https://engineering.nyu.edu/news/nyc-ranks-safest-among-big-us-cities-gun-violence-new-research-nyu-tandon-school-engineering#:~:text=New York City ranks in,efforts to mitigate homicides there. 

Other measures of violent crime also consistently show NY City to be one of our country's safest cities.

Obviously you'll be in a big city and crime rates vary by neighborhood, but someone driving from one location in Brooklyn to another should have no concerns...and your car will be in a secure parking lot at the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KAMEY11 said:

We are going on our first MSC cruise out of NY next month. We are not new to cruising but are new to MSC. We are driving to Brooklyn and staying overnight then heading to the terminal the day of the cruise. Due to severe issues with my ears we are unable to fly otherwise we certainly would not drive to NY especially since we have been hearing that it is very unsafe. I was wondering if there is any ferry or other kind of service that would take us /our vehicle from Brooklyn to the cruise terminal? Or if there is a ferry that takes us there and a place where we can park our car if it does not take vehicles? This would cut down on the stress of driving to the terminal. I do not drive and I know my husband is going to be stressed enough driving to New York. If I could find a way to help cut down on his anxiety of having to drive in NY traffic I will do it.  Any suggestions would be very helpful in lowering my stress level over this. We are worried enough about being safe. When we booked we did not know the area was unsafe. I have heard there are places to park and you can walk to the terminal. My husband is disabled and has a hard time walking some days so parking a ways from the terminal and walking is not an option. Plus we will have a bit of luggage.

We will be sailing out of Brooklyn on next March 2025 and intend to park for a sailing with Cunard's QM2.

We did park in 2022 and had no problem with space but did not have MSC docking there yet.

We sail out of Brooklyn last July but was car service to the port. It was already occupied by cars from MSC the day before. But there was space and those coming earlier got close up. Others parked more deeper in. I believe there is space for handicap close up if you qualify.

Some came in earlier than they were told to on their booking slips.

So we all have to work out our moves on embarkation day.

• Like 1

We will be sailing out of Manhattan and yes we have a handicap placard so hopefully finding parking will be easy. We want to give ourselves enough time to get there on time but what happens if we arrive a little earlier than our booking slip says to?

Can you confirm which cruise terminal you will be sailing from? Manhattan or Brooklyn?

Have you considered taking Amtrak to New York? Parking in New York is expensive ($45/day at the pier). You'll be more refreshed for your cruise. In this scenario, I would stay in a hotel in manhattan, then take an Uber to the Cruise terminal.

Aloha,

john 

Will be Manhattan terminal. We cannot use a train it is more expensive than we were hoping and you have to be at the train at 1:00 am, it is a 17 hour trip in coach, no room for the price we were given. My husband cannot sit for that long without extreme pain so the train idea was nice but not suitable for us.

Hello @KAMEY11

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask s Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry was off topic there since it is about an East Coast departure. 

To help you out, your new thread there has been moved and merged into your other thread regarding the same topic already located in the  North American Homeports - East Coast Departures forum. That way, all the replies to your inquiries will be in one place posted in date/time order. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that live in the area or have sailed from there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. 

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you have posted! Please click here Cruise Critic Community for our forum categories. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

1 hour ago, KAMEY11 said:

Will be Manhattan terminal. We cannot use a train it is more expensive than we were hoping and you have to be at the train at 1:00 am, it is a 17 hour trip in coach, no room for the price we were given. My husband cannot sit for that long without extreme pain so the train idea was nice but not suitable for us.

Sorry it is the Brooklyn Terminal O had Manhattan on my braim after reading some posts.