One wrinkle with promo airfare I did not anticipate

flyguy909

We'll be sailing on the Pride of America in Hawaii in November and this will be the 3rd time I've used NCL's 'buy one get one' promo air fare.  I totally understand that they book economy class fares but I've always been able to reserve or upgrade the seats directly thru the airlines website after receiving itinerary from NCL.  

We're flying from Florida and this time they have us going United out and Delta back.  United - no problem reserving seats.  Then I go over to Delta only to discover that our fares are 'basic economy' - meaning I can't reserve seats, they will be assigned at check in with no guarantee we sit together and no ability to upgrade.  For about 13 hours/ 2 legs I'm not really happy about the thought of maybe getting stuck with a middle seat.  I called the flight department and had a convo with a supervisor who said there's nothing they can do - different airlines have different rules with economy fares. 

Well I think this 'basic economy' on Delta should be a non starter for long or international flights.  

41 minutes ago, flyguy909 said:

We'll be sailing on the Pride of America in Hawaii in November and this will be the 3rd time I've used NCL's 'buy one get one' promo air fare.  I totally understand that they book economy class fares but I've always been able to reserve or upgrade the seats directly thru the airlines website after receiving itinerary from NCL.  

We're flying from Florida and this time they have us going United out and Delta back.  United - no problem reserving seats.  Then I go over to Delta only to discover that our fares are 'basic economy' - meaning I can't reserve seats, they will be assigned at check in with no guarantee we sit together and no ability to upgrade.  For about 13 hours/ 2 legs I'm not really happy about the thought of maybe getting stuck with a middle seat.  I called the flight department and had a convo with a supervisor who said there's nothing they can do - different airlines have different rules with economy fares. 

Well I think this 'basic economy' on Delta should be a non starter for long or international flights.  

Ouch.  Booking basic economy fare on Delta must be fairly new.  I’ve read on several occasions where people here on CC with promo air have upgraded.  This will definitely keep me from chancing it with NCL air promo.  Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the many reasons I always book my own air, hotels, etc. and never let any cruise line book them.  No criticism to those who choose to roll the dice, but I want to choose my flights, my seats and maintain total control of my reservation.

DL Basic Economy rules:

• No seat(s) assigned until after check-in, not together 
  • No changes allowed for flights originating in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean*
  • Cancelable for partial eCredit (cancellation charge applies)**
  • Last to board & not eligible for upgrades 
  • No miles earned; no credit toward SkyMiles Medallion Status
  • No entry into a Delta Sky Club is permitted, regardless of access method
  • Checked Baggage - $35 first bag, $45 second bag
  • Like 2

I flew with Delta last September BOGO from Atlanta to Hawaii Basic Economy. Was able to pay $30 a person to get our seats. Flew back United and paid 50 a person to upgrade.

The baggage fees shown below are for Delta Comfort+® and Main Cabin customers traveling on domestic flights within the U.S., without a Delta SkyMiles® American Express Card, Medallion Status or Active Military exceptions:

first standard checked bag

$35 USD

8 hours ago, flyguy909 said:

Out of curiosity, when in Nov are you sailing? When did you get info? We are sailing over thanksgiving, and waiting for flight info, so trying to guess when we should start looking for us to be getting ours.

28 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

Out of curiosity, when in Nov are you sailing? When did you get info? We are sailing over thanksgiving, and waiting for flight info, so trying to guess when we should start looking for us to be getting ours.

No rhyme or reason here. Just completed a 10 day Mediterranean cruise last week and we got our flight info. over 100 days out!

All third party booking sites offer delta basic economy.  It is annoying. That is the lowest available fare so, of course the one that NCL uses. You may be able to upgrade your seats directly with delta to get main cabin and then you can pick your seats.  Regardless of who I book through, I've always been offered the option to upgrade our tickets in the app. 

Edited by sanger727

If you do get a chance to upgrade and you want something similar to "premium economy" from other airlines, be careful with the Delta categories.    From what I can tell Delta has 6 classes (but a given plane likely only has 5 of them.)  Other airlines may have 3 (economy, premium economy and business (and perhaps 1st class))    If you want the equivalent of premium economy you need "Premium Select" on Delta which would be 3 upgrades from Basic (Basic to Main, Main to comfort  +, and comfort + to premium select.)    In general, I like Delta as an airline, but I really dislike all these classes.  I think they are trying to trick their customers somewhat and they seemed to have added classes lower than economy... 

3 hours ago, CCJack said:

If you do get a chance to upgrade and you want something similar to "premium economy" from other airlines, be careful with the Delta categories.    From what I can tell Delta has 6 classes (but a given plane likely only has 5 of them.)  Other airlines may have 3 (economy, premium economy and business (and perhaps 1st class))    If you want the equivalent of premium economy you need "Premium Select" on Delta which would be 3 upgrades from Basic (Basic to Main, Main to comfort  +, and comfort + to premium select.)    In general, I like Delta as an airline, but I really dislike all these classes.  I think they are trying to trick their customers somewhat and they seemed to have added classes lower than economy... 

One of the restrictions is that you can't pay to upgrade when you're in Basic Economy.

I'd consider Comfort Plus like premium economy. Premium Select is only on longer haul flights, and it's similar to domestic First Class. Delta One is the lie flat seats and pretty amazing.

22 hours ago, flyguy909 said:

I've done Basic Economy once on Delta and it was ok. You may get an opportunity to purchase seats about a week prior, keep checking the app You have a chance of having your seats assigned at or before check-in, but there's a chance they won't be assigned until you're waiting at the gate.

Our experience had our seats assigned before the flight, and we were seated together. They'll certainly try to do that but if you really want to be sure you'll want to pay the $$ for assigned seats if you get the option.

Sadly you can't pay to upgrade to better cabins with basic economy, and if you have status you won't even get the free upgrades either.

22 hours ago, flyguy909 said:

Unfortunately with Delta Basic Economy you are stuck in the back of the plane in middle seats and no choice about where the seats are. They don’t allow changes or upgrades even if paid. You get one carryon and one personal,item.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/onboard-experience/basic-economy

Have you taken a look at the seat map of your flight to get an idea of seats available? I've booked basic econ flights before and have been assigned seats together as long as I remember to check in at the earliest possible moment. 

Shell Beach? I haven't heard of that place in 50 years. I lived in Squire Canyon in the early 70's when I was in junior high. Had a friend who lived in Sunset Palisades. Whoops! Off topic.

14 minutes ago, TakingFlight said:

I knew it was a risk when I posted. I can still see the scorch marks I acquired on other boards!

13 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

I’m new to the NCL board and I’m sure this question has been asked before so I apologize in advance. Does NCL provide a credit towards the cruise fare if we decline the “free” airfare?

No, their airfare deal is advertised as a buy one fare get the other free.   You don't have to select it.

On 9/12/2024 at 3:44 PM, flyguy909 said:

Keep in mind those without a seat assignment are first to be bumped in the event of a full plane.

Also they may be last to board as they are waiting for a ticket, so checking your carryon is also a possibility.

Only one of you getting on is also a rare chance.

For a short domestic flight, no bid deal, but long flights, shouldn't be that way.