Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, mhdesno2 said:

I am looking forward to your Live post. I have been following you on the Celebrity forums for a few years and always enjoy your writing style, your dedication to answering/commenting almost everyone's posts, and, definitely not least, your beautiful pictures.

Thanks yet.   I was hoping to get the new iPhone 16 Pro Max for this trip.   I purchased my new phone but will not ship until next Friday.   I chose to pickup at T-Mobie instead - so it should be available the day I get home.

12 hours ago, lj77346 said:

We will be on the Regatta Sept. 14 cruise as well.  If we have anything to contribute to the discussion, we will join in.  We were on the Regatta's repositioning cruise from San Pedro to Vancouver early this May as well as another Regatta Alaska cruise in late June - early July.  (We're on the other side of the spectrum as we've taken 35+ Oceania Cruises.)

Looking forward to meeting you onboard.  I was going to describe us as being in our early 70's, etc., but realized that would be a good portion of the passengers.   Wishing you safe travels.  Cheers!

LOL--- I guess you are correct.   I understand that the demographics tend to be on the older side.   My only problem is that even though I'm in this demographics I still fell like I'm 35.    We should be easy to find as our photo icon is current.    Also we will be the newbes wandering around in total awe and confusion. 

Really looking forward to meeting you.   You definitely will be a wealth of knowledge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bbqoug said:

We are also on this cruise.

We fly out at 11:00 AM Mountain Time tomorrow for a short 2-1/2 hour flight to Vancouver.

We look forward to meeting people on the cruise & will contribute to this thread from time to time.

Incredible.   I'm really happy that there will be a number of us CC members.    Looking forward to meeting you.    Just checked again and we will be arriving 11:04 in Vancouver.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Interesting, I just looked at the Regatta schedule and there are 2 Vancouver to LA cruises, 1 is 12 days and 1 is 19, both on Regatta and they both start on 9/14. 

Yes .... That is one difference I do like about Oceania.     They often sell B2B's as a single booking and from what my agent told me they prices are less for the combined cruises.   It also cuts down on the effort to find the same cabin for a B2B.

The one thing one of our Regular Oceania experts can tell us whether for their loyalty program they count it as one cruise vs 2 cruises. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Have fun..I will be getting on when you are getting off..

Say hi to everyone for me!!

Jancruz1

I would have like to have done the B2B.  We've done the Mexican Riviera a couple times and I really love the ports.    It would really be nice to do it on a smaller ship like Regata. 

You should have fantastic weather.    The weather is starting to change in the Bay Area is expecting a low to move in for the weekend giving more Autumnal temperatures.   Our weather is really affected by the Alaska Coastal and when the summer Low drifts down from Seattle and Alaska it cools off our weather and in the winter gives us rain. 

From looking at the weather for our trip I'm planning on cool and drizzly weather.   Definitely packed for a layered look.  

We sometimes get spoiled as we don't get rain between about May through November so have to consciously remember to pack an umbrella and rain gear.

3 hours ago, Kandtcruisers said:

We’ve also been exclusive Celebrity cruisers but will be celebrating our retirement and 60th birthdays on our first Oceania cruise - Insignia November 8.  You are a wonderful reviewer/poster and I’m very happy to follow along.  

Well a big happy birthday to you.   I've really been happy to see all of those long time Celebrity Cruisers here on Oceania Board.  These cruises will be a new chapter in our life and looking forward to building it into a book of new experiences. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL--- I guess you are correct.   I understand that the demographics tend to be on the older side.   My only problem is that even though I'm in this demographics I still fell like I'm 35.    We should be easy to find as our photo icon is current.    Also we will be the newbes wandering around in total awe and confusion. 

Really looking forward to meeting you.   You definitely will be a wealth of knowledge.

Lucky you, I'm also in the upper age group for "O", however I also feel like my younger years of cruising--but by body doesn't feel the it...that said I still enjoy getting on the ship.  Wishing you a great cruise and looks forward to reading more.  Thanks for taking the time from your trip to post.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Thanks, good info on Sky train.  Staying in Richmond, so will take Uber to term.

Yes, I'll be posting, our daughter asked if I'd be doing a live from, and told her about yours. She really likes to follow along.

The Sky Train is literately across the street from the terminal.    One no longer needs to purchase a compass card and you purchase tickets from a touch-less terminal or just tap your credit card.

We will be getting tickets this time.   From what I've researched is they have a Concession (Senior) fare and you need to have a physical ticket to obtain the sizable discount.    I'm all for saving money.

I believer that also on weekend they drop the $5 surcharge for trips departing the airport.   I will definitely let everyone know once we have actually done it.        Last time I just used Apple Pay at the SkyTrain entrance.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

So looking forward to reading your reports and seeing what your thoughts are about Oceania. If you can, and it’s offered, do the bear tour in Prince Rupert.  Absolutely wonderful tour into the wilderness.

Will check it out.    We booked one of our "Free" Oceania for a bear tour.   Off my head I can't remember which port.

We currently don't have anything planned for Prince Rupert so may add on another.

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

I, too, am onboard for Jim and Ian always interesting and informative reviews/pictures. We will be Oceania virgins in Jan/Feb next year on Vista so particularly interested in their first cruise impressions here. Safe travels!

Will really look forward to your reports on Vista.    Our next Oceania cruise will be in Fall of 2025 on Vista.   We will be doing Istanbul to Barcelona and will connect with Celebrity from Lisbon to Buenos Aires (with stops in Brazil).    I hope that the Celebrity one actually sails as it has been cancelled the past 2 years.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes .... That is one difference I do like about Oceania.     They often sell B2B's as a single booking and from what my agent told me they prices are less for the combined cruises.   It also cuts down on the effort to find the same cabin for a B2B.

The one thing one of our Regular Oceania experts can tell us whether for their loyalty program they count it as one cruise vs 2 cruises. 

Club Members qualify for Oceania Club level status based on the number of cruise credits earned.

1 CREDIT
up to 24 days
2 CREDITS
25-34 days
3 CREDITS
35-44 days
4 CREDITS
45-54 days
5 CREDITS
55-64 days
7 CREDITS
65-99 days

10 CREDITS
100-157 days

15 CREDITS
158+ days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Arrived to beautiful Vancouver weather on Wednesday.  Lots of walking and retracing visits from years ago.  Looking forward to our Regatta adventure tomorrow.

Fantastic pictures.    I especially like the laughing men.

We should have flown in today and enjoyed the sunny weather.   Just looked at the weather and looks like it will be rainy for us tomorrow.

image.png.a71bb40d009802d9e7fdb17696f1a1fa.png

• Like 1

Just now, Cruising Maryland said:

So since your cruise would be less than 24 days total if you did the B2B, it would still count as 1 credit.

Great.   Good to know.  At his point we have no Status.  LOL

1 hour ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

We are looking forward to your impressions! Please include entertainment,shop and lido deck thoughts.

That I will try.   If not I hope one of the others on the cruise will post.   We are not really big on shows but will definitely be posting lots of the pictures of the interior and lido deck. 

I'm sure i will see lots of interesting things while doing my steps on the ship on sea days.

19 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Lucky you, I'm also in the upper age group for "O", however I also feel like my younger years of cruising--but by body doesn't feel the it...that said I still enjoy getting on the ship.  Wishing you a great cruise and looks forward to reading more.  Thanks for taking the time from your trip to post.

Thanks much.   It helps having a younger husband (Iain is 5 years younger than me - but looks older -- shhh don't tell him I said that)

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Club Members qualify for Oceania Club level status based on the number of cruise credits earned.

1 CREDIT
up to 24 days
2 CREDITS
25-34 days
3 CREDITS
35-44 days
4 CREDITS
45-54 days
5 CREDITS
55-64 days
7 CREDITS
65-99 days

10 CREDITS
100-157 days

15 CREDITS
158+ days

Thanks for posting.       I will have a whopping 1 point after this cruise.   As I said early,  at this point we have no intention be tied into a loyalty program again.  Some of the perks are really nice but from now on bookings will be based on Accommodation, Price and Itinerary. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks yet.   I was hoping to get the new iPhone 16 Pro Max for this trip.   I purchased my new phone but will not ship until next Friday.   I chose to pickup at T-Mobie instead - so it should be available the day I get home.

I wondered if you'd get the 16 Pro Max! I am debating about getting it before my Celebrity cruise on the 30th (now using a 14 Pro).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

You are still Blue Club members, as soon as you step on the ship

Hate to ask but are there any perks as a Blue Club Member?   

Status is really a funny thing, especially with a number of lines now doing status match. 

On our Ponant trip they status matched us to the highest level they have.   Really pissed off our best friends who have sailed Ponant for years and had a lower status.  While I understand that I was fun to flout as David one of my best friends from Australia is a braggart and was flouting his status and I casually pulled out my card.... hmmm... I'm and Admiral.    I wish I had a picture of his expression.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hate to ask but are there any perks as a Blue Club Member?   

Status is really a funny thing, especially with a number of lines now doing status match. 

On our Ponant trip they status matched us to the highest level they have.   Really pissed off our best friends who have sailed Ponant for years and had a lower status.  While I understand that I was fun to flout as David one of my best friends from Australia is a braggart and was flouting his status and I casually pulled out my card.... hmmm... I'm and Admiral.    I wish I had a picture of his expression.

Lol. Not really much re: perks

Instant membership to the Oceania Club

Membership pins

Exclusive Oceania Club cocktail reception

Exclusive member-only offers

Advance notice on new itineraries

10% savings on Oceania Cruises logo merchandise

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I wondered if you'd get the 16 Pro Max! I am debating about getting it before my Celebrity cruise on the 30th (now using a 14 Pro).

Definitely -  I've purchased a new iPhone on Pre-Order Date  for every phone since iPhone 2.   

I kid Iain and say I couldn't have an old phone without being criticized.   On the street adjacent to where we live there are over 20 Apple office buildings.

When I get my new one I kick off the annual upgrade program.    Iain get's my iPhone 15 Pro Max, Alison my daughter gets Iain's 14 Pro Max and Payton my oldest grandson gets her phone. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Lol. Not really much re: perks

Instant membership to the Oceania Club

Membership pins

Exclusive Oceania Club cocktail reception

Exclusive member-only offers

Advance notice on new itineraries

10% savings on Oceania Cruises logo merchandise

From what I understand they also have a Newb Cocktail Reception, or is that the one listed as a perk?

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would have like to have done the B2B.  We've done the Mexican Riviera a couple times and I really love the ports.    It would really be nice to do it on a smaller ship like Regata. 

You should have fantastic weather.    The weather is starting to change in the Bay Area is expecting a low to move in for the weekend giving more Autumnal temperatures.   Our weather is really affected by the Alaska Coastal and when the summer Low drifts down from Seattle and Alaska it cools off our weather and in the winter gives us rain. 

From looking at the weather for our trip I'm planning on cool and drizzly weather.   Definitely packed for a layered look.  

We sometimes get spoiled as we don't get rain between about May through November so have to consciously remember to pack an umbrella and rain gear.

I think you are confused the  9/26 trip is the California Coast up to SFO and back to San Pedro..we like to do that trip because our grandchildren are in SFO..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

I think you are confused the  9/26 trip is the California Coast up to SFO and back to San Pedro..we like to do that trip because our grandchildren are in SFO..

Jancruz1

The 9/26 cruise on Regatta is LA to LA, it does go down to Ensenada, but also up to SF

Edited by Cruising Maryland
  • Like 1