Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

Earlier there was a lot of discussion about the buffet.   To put it into perspective, I created a short Video to show how much selection there is at lunch and how civilized it is.    No Crowds, lots of selection and everything is served touch free from other cruisers.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

you could check out Hadrian's Wall

Good suggestion . We had a short break up there in 2022. Spent three days exploring much of the length of the Wall. Fascinating sense of history in the various  forts. There's also  the best preserved Roman bathhouse at one of them.

• Like 1

I had a number of request for information on the nightly entertainment.    I took a couple clips thought the cruise. 

I know I'm tone deaf and can't even hum in tune.   I thought some of the singers were a bit off key.  What do you think.     The comedian was having a hard time with the person he picked but as a comedian he handled it well. 

On 9/28/2024 at 9:06 AM, Harters said:

I'd say they do. We've cruised on Nautica, as well as Marina & Vista. Much as we enjoyed Nautica, I think I prefer the larger ships. The feeling of space, the extra speciality restaurants, etc. 

Looking forward to it.

On 9/28/2024 at 3:35 PM, Mike981 said:

I am on my second or third set of jewellery screwdrivers and love them. Just like cooking, having the right tools makes life so much more enjoyable.

Per your new car reference, how about buying a new car with all of your favorite and wanted features but they come with separate monthly subscriptions or they are locked? 

I bought a really neat set on Amazon (where else) and it has about 40 screwdrivers...  The one I needed was the smallest size Star headed.   Luckily each says the size on the handle.  It was 0.8x30mm Star.    The jewelers tweezers also helped putting the screws back in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

another vote for Bamburgh, Seahouses and Alnwick Castle as well. I went to university in Newcastle and it's a very friendly place. If you're heading Ayrshire from there you could check out Hadrian's Wall, and on the west coast into Scotland you have Wigtown if you're book fans - its a real book town. 

On the list .      I've been reading (Listening to Audio books) the Rhona MacLeod Series by Lin Anderson.   I just finished #10 -   I think there are 14-15 in her series.  

Funny you say Wigtown.    Iain's Father was from Wigtown.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 10:00 AM, Redtravel said:

We have good friends who still sail on Celebrity. They just did an X cruise. They raved that the food on Celebrity was better. When we asked if the menus had been updated, they answered no. However, they were impressed by an additional local entre some nights.

They weren’t happy with the specialty restaurants.

You really need to say what ship or at least the class.

IMO the M class ships are poor for Specialty restaurants with only 3, I avoid them. S class  are very similar, but Reflection and Silhouette add Lawn Club and The Porch. The E class ships have much in common but newer ships did add some restaurants. 

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

On the list .      I've been reading (Listening to Audio books) the Rhona MacLeod Series by Lin Anderson.   I just finished #10 -   I think there are 14-15 in her series.  

The Inspector Ryan books by LJ Ross are all set around Newcastle and Northumberland, I'm working my way through those. I'll look at Lin Anderson next, I've seen them in the libraries where I work. 

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had a number of request for information on the nightly entertainment.    I took a couple clips thought the cruise. 

I know I'm tone deaf and can't even hum in tune.   I thought some of the singers were a bit off key.  What do you think.     The comedian was having a hard time with the person he picked but as a comedian he handled it well. 

Just watched....hmmmmm....agree...a bit screechy as well.  'Midnight Hour' rendition was good IMO, especially his dance moves.  I did like the audience setting however.....reminds me of earlier Celebrity ships....small, intimate, and comfortable.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes a little bit off but not bad for a small ship.  We have been spoiled by Edge class ship entertainment which is of a pretty high standard imho.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Regatta picked up a special guest for a couple shows during this cruise.  We normally don't go to shows, but the signage on board convinced us to go to this.  It was excellent and the show band was great supporting her.  Google Heather Sullivan "thepianogirl"--some videos and also a biography online.   She did 2 different shows a couple days apart.  We are glad we went.

On 9/27/2024 at 9:44 PM, terrydtx said:

We are the same with Celebrity, finished, and don't care that we are Elite+. Our first Oceania cruise is next March. We just finished a Canada/NE cruise on the HAL Volendam and to be honest the food in the MDR overall was better than our recent experiences on Celebrity in both MDR and the Luminae Retreat restaurants. The Volendam is a small ship, (1400 pax) and not once did it seem crowded. We also booked a HAL cruise in 2026 while onboard the Volendam.

We had our first experience with HAL this summer and were very pleased as well. Food and service were both wonderful and exceeded our expectations. We would certainly sail with them again!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 6:54 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Jim, I added this to the book list I maintain.