Do you book directly with the line or a TA?

On 9/16/2024 at 10:47 PM, Ashland said:

Have been booking directly or on website with RCI for many years and will continue to.

You sound pretty strong about that. Or maybe just the bold type. But curious why you're clearly not open to change.

On 9/18/2024 at 12:07 PM, Hlitner said:

We use two, excellent, high volume cruise agencies that give generous refundable onboard credits that you do not get when booking directly with the cruise line.  As a simple real time example, we just returned from a 3-week Seabourn cruise.  Our refundable on board credit (from our cruise agency) was in excess of $1500.  Since we do not generally use (or need) OBC on Seabourn, that money remained unspent at the end of the cruise.  Seabourn immediately refunded it to our credit card so we now have $1500 that we would not have had if we had booked directly with the cruise line.  When we look at OBCs and perks, our normal expectation is that we should be able to save 7-10% on every cruise booking.  

Speaking of On Board Credits (OBC), as a general rule there are two kinds, Refundable and Non-Refundable.  The non-refundable kind is what you will sometimes get from the cruise line.  Non refundable means if you do not use it on the cruise you lose it!   The Refundable kind is what you will usually get from cruise/travel agencies.  Unused refundable OBCs will normally be refunded at the end of a cruise (or soon thereafter). 

Some cruise agencies will also give various perks such as tips, drink packages, shore excursion credits, etc.  When dealing with agencies it is wise to understand what you are getting before you actually book.  All the agencies, with which we deal, specify the perks right on their booking documents (sent via e-mail).

Hank

And our agent has at least a bit more clout than *I* do. She can go to the cruise line and make things happen that I probably can't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clo said:

You sound pretty strong about that. Or maybe just the bold type. But curious why you're clearly not open to change.

What has always worked for me is a personal decision. One that we can each make.

Your comment on "bold" type didn't go unnoticed. The bold type I prefer to use is just easier for me to see and read but thanks for taking the time to notice and respond.

8 hours ago, clo said:

And our agent has at least a bit more clout than *I* do. She can go to the cruise line and make things happen that I probably can't.

I once was getting contradictory information from a cruise line (Princess actually) as to whether there was a transfer available from London (as opposed to Heathrow airport) direct to the port in Dover. I called my TA, and he put us on a 3 way call to his Princess representative, I was able to get the right information (there wasn't). After that my TA got off the line and said the rep and I could discuss any other questions I might have.

Having your own rep at a cruise line (not just a regular one reading from a script) is not something that can be done as just a cruise passenger. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

What has always worked for me is a personal decision. One that we can each make.

Oh, absolutely. But you clearly made THAT decision and if you shared your reason then perhaps others could learn from it. I learn constantly from others.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Oh, absolutely. But you clearly made THAT decision and if you shared your reason then perhaps others could learn from it. I learn constantly from others.

I see no reason to list why it's worked for me other than it has. I gave a simple answer in regards to a question and prefer not to turn it into a debate. So let's just leave it at that.

Edited by Ashland

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

I see no reason to list why it's worked for me other than it has. I gave a simple answer in regards to a question and prefer not to turn it into a debate. So let's just leave it at that.

The OP actually did ask "why" but go in peace.