Panama Canal- east bound vs west?

Personally, we like doing the Eastbound itineraries. Being from the "Right Coast", (as you are), it's better to fly out to the west, enjoy the cruise, and once you're back on the Atlantic side, you're just a short plane ride home, instead of waiting for your butt to catch up with you after a 6 hour flight. IMHO

We are also considering a '26 Panama cruise. What have you been looking at, so far?

Edited by cruisingpeople
  • Like 1

We've only done the Canal once and it was east to west.  I came to like it that way as we gained several hours as we cruised.  

Other than that, I'd pick based on what other ports your cruise also stops at.  

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't think the direction for the transit itself matters one bit.   Cost, schedule, and ease of getting home after are probably better factors.

Agree. Doing my 5th PC in 2yrs Boarding in 3 weeks, with 2 more next year. Been getting little better deals per day cost going east bound, this on the 16/15niters instead of 13/14niters. Interesting thing is we had to change Clocks up to 7-8 times, this for Time changes and to be on same time as Port stops just to set them back after we left.

Edited by ONECRUISER

We have done both ways, and it really doesn't make any difference which way we were going other than the logistics of getting from home back to home again.. Typically both east to west and west to east visit mostly the same ports each way, just in reverse order.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Like Alaska, the “naturalist” or speaker(s) aboard can make a big difference. 

On our last two PC transits, the speakers were abysmal (real snooze masters) and it was a much better experience just tuning them out and enjoying the surroundings.

I'm going to add another personal wrinkle to the conversation.  There are still Panamax ships that do this itinerary on a few different cruise lines that, by their nature, are of a size that are still able to transit the old locks.  IMO that experience is unique and one of the key reasons we have enjoyed cruising there.  On one itinerary we were actually able to reach over the railing and touch the side of the lock as we were rising in it.  We were also able to talk with the canal workers assisting the transit. The historic nature of the old locks is IMO an option worth considering on this itinerary.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The historic nature of the old locks is IMO an option worth considering on this itinerary.

Another vote for old locks.  Then, for us, eastbound.  As @cruisingpeople noted, it makes a lot of sense if you’re from the eastern half of the US especially if you overnight before embarking.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, orville99 said:

On our last two PC transits, the speakers were abysmal (real snooze masters) and it was a much better experience just tuning them out and enjoying the surroundings.

Same, I did have a good one yr before which kinda set the bar high for me

Have gone both ways, different classes of ships (Vision and Radiance Class).

The actual lock experience was the same, just in reverse. Equally enjoyable both times.

Sometimes the ports of call beyond Panama are different so check that out.  

Some months are hotter or dryer, but it rains a lot there, at least it should, most months.  Weather is never a sure thing.   Some months have longer daylight hours which can be a plus as the transit is long, a full day typically.  

Being from the east coast, I recommend west to east. You gain time flying to the west cost which gives you more time to unwind after the flight the day before. While cruising, you slowly unwind the 3 time zones on the voyage to FL or LA so you really won't notice it. Disembarking in FL or LA then leaves a 2.5 clock hour flight home to PA (PHL) vs CA to PA (PHL) being 8 clock hours (5 flight + 3 time zones). Adding in airport hours before and after departure, the drive home depending on distance from airport [although all same E vs W], makes for an extremely long day from CA after a relaxing vacation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I'm going to add another personal wrinkle to the conversation.  There are still Panamax ships that do this itinerary on a few different cruise lines that, by their nature, are of a size that are still able to transit the old locks.  IMO that experience is unique and one of the key reasons we have enjoyed cruising there.  On one itinerary we were actually able to reach over the railing and touch the side of the lock as we were rising in it.  We were also able to talk with the canal workers assisting the transit. The historic nature of the old locks is IMO an option worth considering on this itinerary.

We agree and have been fascinated all over again by the old locks on every transit. We currently have an 11 night partial transit and ABC islands cruise booked on Celebrity Ascent however just so we can experience the differences between the old locks and the neopanamax locks.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

Several of the posters have recommended to let your travel to your departure port and travel home from your destination port guide you in which direction transit to choose.  Early stated, either direction is equally rewarding.

However I do have a preference, that is from Pacific to Atlantic or as the Canal would call a northbound transit.  Not to inject any confusion to the eastbound or westbound as that is certainly the overall direction your cruise will travel depending on the direction you select.  It is just overtime north and south transits is what I was exposed to, hard to readjust the nomenclature😉.  Anyway, I like the northbound (Pac-Atl) better.  To me the Canal just opens up from the confines of the two Pacific Locks, through Gaillard and then the relative open crossing of Gatun Lake.  There is also a little added benefit traveling in this direction as passed on by some old tyme sailors who couldn't rely on air conditioning for comfort.  Most of the year the prevailing breezes are out of the north.  As result there almost always be more apparent wind across the deck.  This particularly nice when the ship is sitting in a lock chamber and the sun is shinning brightly and the complete lack of forward motion to help stir up some breeze.  Contrast a southbound transit (Atl-Pac), often times the ships forward motion matches that of the breeze and as a result there virtually no air movement across the deck for extended periods.

There's another reason to support my preference of a northbound transit is there is an excellent chance you will have cleared Gaillard Cut by noon or at least shortly thereafter.  Even in the Dry Season the chance for showers in the Gaillard Cut in the afternoon is greater than other times of the day.   Most southbound transits (Atl-Pac) will be in the Cut in the afternoon hours.

Final reason, you will start your transit in the Pacific Anchorage.  The majority of time the transit will start with at least twilight and daybreak will not be far behind.  There are numerous islands that dot Panama Bay, the islands, various anchored ships along with the skyline of Panama City are quite interesting.  On a southbound (Atl-Pac), often times it will already be dark and it just isn't the same.  When you clear the Canal on a northbound (Pac-Atl) the coast of Panama drops off fairly quickly after clearing the breakwater, to me not nearly as scenic as the Pacific entrance.

Keep in mind, these are just preferences and the differences in the direction of transit is ever so slight.  Which ever direction you end up will be great.  A "bad" day at the Canal will be better than a great day at the office!

Edited by BillB48
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’ll second the above preference from @BillB48.  The factors of the itinerary (for ports, number of cruise days, etc) matter, along with the price.  But all other things the same, I would choose the pacific to Atlantic.  

Bill did an excellent job of the details but I’ll say having the grouping early before the lake is better.  The Pedro Miguel and Miraflores, the Cut and the Bridge makes for a great morning.  Take a break, lunch and nap and then enjoy the Gutan locks.  

Thank you everyone for your insight and suggestions! They are very much appreciated. We like the idea of getting the long flight out of the way at the beginning. The Pacific to Atlantic sights starting w/ Panama City at daybreak, Miraflores locks and the Galliard cut makes sense. Lots of planning ahead! Thanks again.