"Cruise approved" is not necessarily cruise approved

shipgeeks

It seems that many passengers are putting faith in Amazon's (and others) claims of "cruise line approved" products, many of which are not.

Many reports in recent months of multiple items being confiscated. Cruise line websites do give guidelines; perhaps it is wise to believe them rather than Amazon.

The ironic thing, to me, is that some cruisers apparently not only believe that the items are "approved", but they are also "essential" for surviving a cruise.

I assume you are referring to things like power strips.  Just for fun I put "cruise approved" in that large online retailer's search box without any other qualifiers.  All kinds of stuff comes up.  Lots of power strips, sea sickness stuff, magnets, etc, etc.  

There are many threads about absolutely essential things that are anything but essential.  

• Like 2

On 9/15/2024 at 12:57 PM, MacMadame said:

Cruise lines don't approve products just like the TSA and the airlines don't approve luggage. It's a marketing phrase that is meaningless.

Good point.  Maybe "compliant" would be a better term.  

• Like 1

That wouldn't likely be an issue for us as there is rarely anything on any list of what would be thought to be typically "necessary items" that to us would be essential to take.  The less we pack outside of essential clothing the better. 

I often get a kick out of published long lists of things some cruisers think are necessary items to take to enhance their cruise.  After 32 years of cruising, less clothes and more cash typically addresses that for us.  JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That wouldn't likely be an issue for us as there is rarely anything on any list of what would be thought to be typically "necessary items" that to us would be essential to take.  The less we pack outside of essential clothing the better. 

I often get a kick out of published long lists of things some cruisers think are necessary items to take to enhance their cruise.  After 32 years of cruising, less clothes and more cash typically addresses that for us.  JMO.

A potential problem is new folk might not understand this. 

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Took us a few cruises then we understood.  The airline suitcase weight limits assisted in the effort also...LOL

Yeah, on our first cruise we brought one GIANT suitcase for the four of us ... and we didn't wear much of what we brought.  

On our second cruise we brought less ... but still didn't use all the clothes we brought. 

On the way home from our second cruise I wrote out a list of what we actually used, and it evolved into a template we still use today.  I'm very happy with what we bring now!  

• Like 1