Just off Icon…any questions?

Womack21499

22 minutes ago, plutosmom said:

Thanks for your offer: 

1) Did WJ have any special offerings on Embarkation Day?

2) Were there typically seats available in the Bars? 
3) Did you have/see Wizard of Oz and any comments? 
Thank you!!! 

WJ still has the seafood buffet on embarkation day.

Wizard of Oz was fantastic.  Saw it twice.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, plutosmom said:

Thanks for your offer: 

1) Did WJ have any special offerings on Embarkation Day?

2) Were there typically seats available in the Bars? 
3) Did you have/see Wizard of Oz and any comments? 
Thank you!!! 

Yes there was lobster and tons of peeled fresh shrimp cocktail. Yes bars seemed to have seating in the ones we went to. Wizard of Oz was a little long. Be there at least 30-45 min early if you want a good seat. 

24 minutes ago, TotesMcGotes said:

How was the crowds?  Did the ship feel overcrowded?  I'm going on the Utopia in February, 2nd cruise, but first time on a "mega ship".  So trying to have a realistic expectation.

The ONLY time I felt crowded was in the Windjammer on a port day after everyone returned in St Thomas. It was after lunch but early enough everyone wanted food and around 2:00. 

I will add….if you have a toddler/baby in diapers they can ONLY go in starboard side small play area in surfside. They cannot go in any other area of the kid water area. It is not shaded for small babies either. 
this ship felt like it had a ton of outside seating but not much by the pools. I like the pool areas on Oasis class better. 
the seating at Aquadome is very uncomfortable especially on the benches without chair backs. If you go it needs to be ONE HOUR before showtime to get a decent seat. 

1 hour ago, Womack21499 said:

Get a scooter. 

I agree.  I had one just prior to my hip replacement.  I would use it if I had a long distance to travel, other than that I would use a cane.  May be hard to tote crutches on a scooter though.  If they are required because of non-weight bearing, then consider renting a wheelchair and have someone push for long distances.  I could go long distances on my crutches, but a lot of that does wear you down.  Perhaps a knee scooter would work.  I don't know what your situation is, but good luck! 

I'm seeing a lot of comments in various other sites that the bars close early and nightlife is non-existent, some claim this is due to the heavy emphasis on families while others are chocking it up who happens to be onboard at the time. One of my friends who has sailed does not think evening people will enjoy Icon as everything closes early.

What are your thoughts based off what you've seen? 

45 minutes ago, JemzRoo said:

I'm seeing a lot of comments in various other sites that the bars close early and nightlife is non-existent, some claim this is due to the heavy emphasis on families while others are chocking it up who happens to be onboard at the time. One of my friends who has sailed does not think evening people will enjoy Icon as everything closes early.

What is the definition of late night? They have shows like dueling pianos starting after 11pm, multiple food venues open till midnight aside from sorrentos and pearl Cafe which is open later, and bars open till 2am. Cloud 17 pool is open till 11pm and at least one hot tub open 24/7.

22 hours ago, Womack21499 said:

I will add….if you have a toddler/baby in diapers they can ONLY go in starboard side small play area in surfside. They cannot go in any other area of the kid water area. It is not shaded for small babies either. 
this ship felt like it had a ton of outside seating but not much by the pools. I like the pool areas on Oasis class better. 
the seating at Aquadome is very uncomfortable especially on the benches without chair backs. If you go it needs to be ONE HOUR before showtime to get a decent seat. 

Very disappointing with pool space and sunbathing around said pools. 

Icon is definitely a 50/50 for me which is unusual as my fav class is the Oasis class. 

22 hours ago, Womack21499 said:

This was my biggest gripe for Icon. For toddlers the offering of activities is subpar compared to other ships. 

That being said it's not like my youngest was bored ever exploring the ship and what it had to offer, and each time they go on it in the future they will enjoy more and more activities. 

Food wise for kids, Icon is far superior with easy quick grab N go options Surfside, promenade, central park, pool deck front and back. Virtually never more that a few minutes away from a snack. 

Edited by SUgwoz

9 hours ago, JemzRoo said:

I wasn’t out at any clubs late at night but someone told me there was an argument that had to be broken up on night at club 1400. So I would assume that yes there is a nightlife. 

9 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Icon is definitely a 50/50 for me which is unusual as my fav class is the Oasis class. 

I am going with I still like Oasis class better overall. The slides were fun but the lines took forever even though they were not too long. They don’t move the rafts up quick enough. 

On 9/16/2024 at 12:49 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the Icon is not an Oasis class ship. Icon is a class of it's own (I think). Oasis class is also our favorite class!

16 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the Icon is not an Oasis class ship. Icon is a class of it's own (I think). Oasis class is also our favorite class!

Apologies for the misleading statement. I ment that it in the way that the ICON class builds on the OASIS class, almost like an upgrade, so as i like Oasis class i thought id be super excited about the ICON class. ICON takes a lot that works on Oasis and developed it into a newer class. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were also on the ship a few months ago.  Elevators only mid-ship and front- Do not book an aft cabin- long walks.  We are sticking to Oasis class ships.

Bit misleading, comparing deck 7 between Symphony of the Seas and Icon.  From the elevator hallway to the back of the ship on Symphony is 34 cabins, for Icon its 36 cabins.  However, for Icon you enter the center of the elevator bank with 12 elevators surrounding you on both left and right and symphony you have 6 to the right and have to walk on other side if that 6 is crowded. 

The elevator design on Icon is a big step up from Oasis as now all 12 elevators are accessible as oppose to 6 without leaving a bank for a different bank.

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Apologies for the misleading statement. I ment that it in the way that the ICON class builds on the OASIS class, almost like an upgrade, so as i like Oasis class i thought id be super excited about the ICON class. ICON takes a lot that works on Oasis and developed it into a newer class. 

I agree that Icon has improved upon Oasis in some areas like the two story promenade and I love the water slides. But I also think Icon took two huge step backwards in my opinion. First, they eliminated the Solarium. Second, they eliminated the Boardwalk. These are two of my favorite areas and where I spend a lot of time on Oasis class ships. Having said that, I realize Icon was built for and focuses on younger families, so I understand the reasons behind these changes. Icon’s main demographic is not someone like me in their late 50s with adult kids. 

1 hour ago, SUgwoz said:

Bit misleading, comparing deck 7 between Symphony of the Seas and Icon.  From the elevator hallway to the back of the ship on Symphony is 34 cabins, for Icon its 36 cabins.  However, for Icon you enter the center of the elevator bank with 12 elevators surrounding you on both left and right and symphony you have 6 to the right and have to walk on other side if that 6 is crowded. 

The elevator design on Icon is a big step up from Oasis as now all 12 elevators are accessible as oppose to 6 without leaving a bank for a different bank.

We were in a surfside family suite and it was a poor location- actually a very tight 
"suite".  Also a major flaw in the design of the elevators is that , in Janauary , we would press the elevator from the banks as instructed, but often the elevators were full because it didn't account for the number of passengers getting on each floor-  I hope they adjust that feature-  We always had a long walk to the suite lounge and coastal kitchen.  One very possible feature was the suite sun/pool deck with a lovely buffet.

Just off the symphony of the seas and it was a wonderful cruise!  

Edited by Cruise a holic

9 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were in a surfside family suite and it was a poor location- actually a very tight 
"suite".  Also a major flaw in the design of the elevators is that , in Janauary , we would press the elevator from the banks as instructed, but often the elevators were full because it didn't account for the number of passengers getting on each floor-  I hope they adjust that feature-  We always had a long walk to the suite lounge and coastal kitchen.  One very possible feature was the suite sun/pool deck with a lovely buffet.

Just off the symphony of the seas and it was a wonderful cruise!  

Which makes sense and sounds more an issue with surfside family suite choice.  That cabin type does appear poorly designed, and likely why they gave it sky class amenities.  As oppose to Family Infinite balcony that seems to have much more ample space, but no suite amenity and often still cost as much or more than surfside suite.  Along with that surfside cabins are one of the furthest locations from suite area.

My experience in May for elevator was often being on an empty or near empty elevator and going straight to my floor or maybe stopping once, as oppose to other classes like Oasis where you hop on a packed elevator with 6+ floors pressed or wait for another elevator hoping for less people. Typically I avoid elevators on cruises as I find them inconvenient and slow compared to stairs right next to it, Icon I rarely took stairs as the process seemed more efficient and less crowds hovering over a bank of 6 elevators guessing which one will come.

• Like 1