Fish & Chips on Celebrity Ascent & Beyond (Edge class)

Kordy

35 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Not sure if they still have scones in the buffet late afternoon. They were not very good!

I didn't know they served scones in the buffet ... I thought scones were only available at the Afternoon Tea.  

QUESTION: does Celebrity do Afternoon Tea ????

2 minutes ago, Kordy said:

I didn't know they served scones in the buffet ... I thought scones were only available at the Afternoon Tea.  

I don’t recall seeing it, although hot tea is available all day long in the buffet..

Tea is supposed to be drank sweet on ice…maybe even a shot of vodka and lemonade for extra kick. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Afternoon they have sandwiches, scones, cream and jam but as someone else mentioned it wasn't good.

I went one day and the scones were too brown, not burnt but for sure over cooked

I don't believe Celebrity offer Afternoon Tea on their cruises (tea, scones, clotted cream, jam, small sandwiches) ... I think they have in the past, but not any more.

This is not a thing any more:(

12 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Afternoon they have sandwiches, scones, cream and jam but as someone else mentioned it wasn't good.

I went one day and the scones were too brown, not burnt but for sure over cooked

I don't understand why they don't just serve the same desserts in OVC as they do at al Bacio.

15 minutes ago, Kordy said:

I don't believe Celebrity offer Afternoon Tea on their cruises (tea, scones, clotted cream, jam, small sandwiches) ... I think they have in the past, but not any more.

This is not a thing any more:(

Have you ever looked into Cunard?

26 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Tea is supposed to be drank sweet on ice…maybe even a shot of vodka and lemonade for extra kick. 🙂

The best tea - mix the following in a shaker:

3/4 ounce vodka

3/4 ounce white rum

3/4 ounce silver tequila

3/4 ounce gin

3/4 ounce triple sec

3/4 ounce simple syrup

3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed

Shake and pour over ice. 

Add  Diet Pepsi, to top it off and add color. and then garnish with a lemon wedge

46 minutes ago, Kordy said:

There used to always be scones, cream and jam in the buffet in the afternoon, around tea time. They haven't been out every day on our last few cruises.  But truly, the scones left SO MUCH to be desired, and the cream seemed to be whipped cream and not clotted cream.

I haven't seen Afternoon Tea since the restart. Before that it seemed to be on the final sea day in the MDR. 

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

3/4 ounce vodka

3/4 ounce white rum

3/4 ounce silver tequila

3/4 ounce gin

3/4 ounce triple sec

3/4 ounce simple syrup

Shake and pour over ice. 

Add  Diet Pepsi, to top it off and add color. and then garnish with a lemon wedge

My recipe from when I bartended -at the height of Long Island Iced Tea madness in the 80's:

Fill a tall glass with ice

3/4 ounce of all white liquors (vodka, rum, gin, tequila)

2 ounces sweet & sour

fill with coke/diet coke

float 1/2 ounce triple sec on top

Gosh - I can still make that, Paralyzers and B52s in my sleep!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Some fish n chip shops still use News Print - the same paper used in the production of newspapers just with out the ink. 

It was the ink that provided the ‘flavour’..

10 hours ago, Kordy said:

Hi there,

I'm going on a cruise in the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity Ascent, which is currently in Europe and moving to Florida in October.  One of my favorite dishes is Fish & Chips and I wanted to see which venues (restaurants? buffet? bar? pub?) on-board offer Fish & Chips?

I noticed that in the cruises out of Europe, it may be offered in Craft Social Bar as an option, although it costs extra?  but I notice that on the Celebrity Beyond, it's not offered at all.  Can someone confirm whether fish & chips is an option anywhere on board?  Either on Beyond or Ascent.

Bonus points if they offer Shepherd's Pie, but that is probably asking too much !

Thank you !

PS: are there any other "British" options offered on-board, outside of the "British buffet day" in the Ocean View buffet?

Brit who has lived in the US 11 years now. You will find absolutely NOTHING like British fish and chips in the US or or a American cruise ship. Trust me, it's the one food I've found that has always been failed to imitate time and time again.

Before anyone complains, food in the US is amazing and I love it, I am genuinely just talking about this one particular dish.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

My recipe from when I bartended -at the height of Long Island Iced Tea madness in the 80's:

With your experience maybe you can tell me why a LIIT made with Well seems to taste better than one made with top shelf alcohol?  for some reason, and maybe it is just me, the top shelf ones do not seem to go together as well as the cheap stuff. 

54 minutes ago, joydivision84 said:

Brit who has lived in the US 11 years now. You will find absolutely NOTHING like British fish and chips in the US or or a American cruise ship. Trust me, it's the one food I've found that has always been failed to imitate time and time again.

Before anyone complains, food in the US is amazing and I love it, I am genuinely just talking about this one particular dish.

Best F&C I have ever had was in Stirling, Scotland.  Never knew it could be so damn good!

• Like 2

I was in England last year and YES, I've had some amazing Fish & Chips.  I actually was craving it, after I got back home to NYC and I googled a couple of British restaurants in Manhattan... and went to a few for "fish & chips" and OMG, it just wasn't the same.  It was really bad, it felt like tilapia, not cod., even though it said cod in the menu.  They just don't' have the same access to the right cod fish, or maybe they don't know how to cook it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

3/4 ounce vodka

3/4 ounce white rum

3/4 ounce silver tequila

3/4 ounce gin

3/4 ounce triple sec

3/4 ounce simple syrup

Shake and pour over ice. 

You lost this Southerner at Pepsi..otherwise, sounds like the drink of my college years.. LIIT.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Fill a tall glass with ice

3/4 ounce of all white liquors (vodka, rum, gin, tequila)

2 ounces sweet & sour

fill with coke/diet coke

float 1/2 ounce triple sec on top

Gosh - I can still make that, Paralyzers and B52s in my sleep!

Let’s party..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kordy said:

I was in England last year and YES, I've had some amazing Fish & Chips.  I actually was craving it, after I got back home to NYC and I googled a couple of British restaurants in Manhattan... and went to a few for "fish & chips" and OMG, it just wasn't the same.  It was really bad, it felt like tilapia, not cod., even though it said cod in the menu.  They just don't' have the same access to the right cod fish, or maybe they don't know how to cook it.

I could see that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

With your experience maybe you can tell me why a LIIT made with Well seems to taste better than one made with top shelf alcohol?  for some reason, and maybe it is just me, the top shelf ones do not seem to go together as well as the cheap stuff. 

Could be that the bartender is a bit more generous with the pour when using well brands 😉 I also think that some of the ‘better’ brands have a more distinct taste than well brands. Personally, I always skipped the tequila. Too much of a good thing - hahaha

9 hours ago, Liao said:

I don't understand why they don't just serve the same desserts in OVC as they do at al Bacio.

It gives you more exercise walking from venue to venue which in turn gives you a bigger appetite which means you eat more. There are also different options in the Spa Cafe or do you want those to be the same?

Al Bacio used to serve small sandwiches sadly not any more but they do have apple turnovers early in the morning.

Choice is good.

5 hours ago, Kordy said:

You need fresh caught cod, great batter, oil that's just used to cook the fish and the chips, experienced cooks and the fish cooked to order.

8 minutes ago, the penguins said:

It gives you more exercise walking from venue to venue which in turn gives you a bigger appetite which means you eat more. There are also different options in the Spa Cafe or do you want those to be the same?

Al Bacio used to serve small sandwiches sadly not any more but they do have apple turnovers early in the morning.

Choice is good.

Choice is good for sure but dry bland tasteless pastries are not.

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

You need fresh caught cod, great batter, oil that's just used to cook the fish and the chips, experienced cooks and the fish cooked to order.

You get none of that in NYC ... if anyone knows a good fish & chips place in NYC, please let me know!

Fish and chips in the UK are better cuz the fish is different, the spuds are different (good ol’ King Edwards) and the oil is different. Add in the authentic atmosphere and voila. Don’t forget a pint of Old Speckled. Plus ‘memories’ of such things improve with age. Starting to feel peckish? Cheers…

1 hour ago, Crown Vic said:

Fish and chips in the UK are better cuz the fish is different, the spuds are different (good ol’ King Edwards) and the oil is different. Add in the authentic atmosphere and voila. Don’t forget a pint of Old Speckled. Plus ‘memories’ of such things improve with age. Starting to feel peckish? Cheers…

No need for memories. Our local Fish n Chip restaurant is just as good as the ones we had when we were kids - 70+ years ago - and we should know as we come from Whitstable, a seaside town famous for it's sea food, where the boss's (Anita) father was a traditional fishmonger.

14 hours ago, Liao said:

Best F&C I have ever had was in Stirling, Scotland.  Never knew it could be so damn good!

Which establishment in Stirling did you visit? I’m planning a trip for next summer. The last time I was in Scotland was a very short trip. We tried F&C from the Anstruther Fish Bar and they were very good! You can’t get any fresher than seeing the name of the boat your fish was purchased from that morning.

Edited by thebutlerdidit
  • Like 1