dress code

RRACING

6 hours ago, JAGR said:

Thanks! Much appreciated. I did get to spend 45 years with a best friend and partner in crime. It was a bit hard being a solo cruiser on the last trip, but was able to arrange a small ceremony to put some of her ashes out to sea. I know that is not a normal activity for butlers to arrange, but it was much appreciated!

Dear Morpheus's reading comprehension is clearly superior to mine. I read your words but did not understand their meaning. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue on.  

Edited by Bgwest

16 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Dear Morpheus's reading comprehension is clearly superior to mine. I read your words but did not understand their meaning. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue on.  

He is indeed astute! He has probably been exposed to Irish undertone style before. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. It was several months ago, but unfortunately was sudden, with a rapid onset of a very bad strain of leukemia.

6 hours ago, JAGR said:

He is indeed astute! He has probably been exposed to Irish undertone style before. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. It was several months ago, but unfortunately was sudden, with a rapid onset of a very bad strain of leukemia.

I can’t remember if I conveyed my condolences before or not but you know that I’m truly sorry for your loss   Glad you too are continuing to cruise now as a solo.  It was one of the hardest things I did with the first time as a solo. But the loving response from all of the MSC family got me through it.  And they are  the reason I keep sailing in the YC   

17 hours ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

I can’t remember if I conveyed my condolences before or not but you know that I’m truly sorry for your loss   Glad you too are continuing to cruise now as a solo.  It was one of the hardest things I did with the first time as a solo. But the loving response from all of the MSC family got me through it.  And they are  the reason I keep sailing in the YC   

Thanks! Your relating your positive experience

is re-assuring. Certainly got treated well on last cruise.

• Like 1

Think this guideline is pretty good. 

Won't sail rcl again because it's crap. Last med on rcl. On formal night a guy has on gym shorts, baseball cap backwards with a t shirt. I asked maitre d why he didn't enforce it. Response was people get offended. Cruiselines should all do what yc is saying. Wear what you think elegant is. 

• Like 1

For all those out there to whom this applies, let me concede the fact that yes you're on vacation and you have the right to wear whatever you prefer (within the bounds of moral decency).  Please consider this however.  Would you wear a ball  cap, t-shirt and shorts to a friend's or relative's wedding, funeral, college graduation ceremony, religious function such as a baptism, bar mitzvah, confirmation, etc.  You might consider an honest answer to this question as a guide to proper dinner attire.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chrisgp999 said:

For all those out there to whom this applies, let me concede the fact that yes you're on vacation and you have the right to wear whatever you prefer (within the bounds of moral decency).  Please consider this however.  Would you wear a ball  cap, t-shirt and shorts to a friend's or relative's wedding, funeral, college graduation ceremony, religious function such as a baptism, bar mitzvah, confirmation, etc.  You might consider an honest answer to this question as a guide to proper dinner attire.

...or even just a similar restaurant on land, that uses table linens, crumbers, wine stands, and whose waiters wear vests and ties. I doubt it very much.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, chrisgp999 said:

I'm not at a funeral or wedding... I'm on vacation. I get it, I'm not wearing my beach attire, but I'm also not dressing up for dinner unless I feel like it.  And yes, I wear hats to church events and out to dinner... wearing hats indoors is not as uncommon and disapproved of as it was years ago.  I might throw pants on if it seems like everyone else is, but if I see some shorts- I'm wearing shorts. 

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I might throw pants on if it seems like everyone else is, but if I see some shorts- I'm wearing shorts.

I would advise you to have both pants and shorts in your luggage. You never know what the overall clothing "vibe" will be on a given sailing. You could be there a week where everyone leans towards shorts or you could be there a week where there are a lot of people who lean towards more dressy choices. Your words appear to mean that you might want to be prepared for either.

[I am not trying to offend or dictate, just trying to give you the information to make an informed decision. I hope that is coming across as intended!]

7 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I'm not at a funeral or wedding... I'm on vacation. I get it, I'm not wearing my beach attire, but I'm also not dressing up for dinner unless I feel like it.  And yes, I wear hats to church events and out to dinner... wearing hats indoors is not as uncommon and disapproved of as it was years ago.  I might throw pants on if it seems like everyone else is, but if I see some shorts- I'm wearing shorts. 

Guess the last sentence of my post was wasted on some.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

I would advise you to have both pants and shorts in your luggage. You never know what the overall clothing "vibe" will be on a given sailing. You could be there a week where everyone leans towards shorts or you could be there a week where there are a lot of people who lean towards more dressy choices. Your words appear to mean that you might want to be prepared for either.

[I am not trying to offend or dictate, just trying to give you the information to make an informed decision. I hope that is coming across as intended!]

Oh, Absolutely- I will always have a pair of pants, and honestly, I'll probably wear them either way for most meals- but if we are getting back on the ship right from the port and rushing to dinner, or its just REALLY hot and I've seen some shorts over the week, then I'll feel a little more inclined to wear them. 

• Like 1

I asked in a place for my upcoming cruise and this is from the YC restaurant on Seashore very recently.  basically, shorts are fine, just not cut offs or swim trunks (tailored shorts).  Even gala night says the only thing "required" is a smile.  LOL

461844507_10227445531507083_4242630622866661203_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1