Question about dress

smeesme

We are going on a partial Panama cruise on the Rotterdam at the end of October.   My husband lives in jeans regardless of temp.   Would he be able to wear them in the dining room for dinner?   They are nice,  not ripped or anything.   He would wear a polo with them.  For formal night,  he'd wear dress slacks.   We've gone on carnival,  royal Caribbean and msc and he's always worn jeans.   Please let me know if I need to start shopping for him.   Thanks. 

Here is the fine print.....you are good to go with what you have planned....

Enjoy the cruise....

From the HAL website:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool and beachwear, distressed jeans and tank tops are not permitted in table service restaurants.

On Dressy Nights we take it up a notch and recommend slacks, skirts, dresses, blouses, collared shirts and jackets.

Jeans, shorts and T-shirts are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smeesme said:

For formal night,  he'd wear dress slacks. 

And (except for Grand Voyages) it's called "dressy nights" so again, what you have planned fits the HAL rules!

Enjoy the cruise.....

• Like 1

Thank you all.   I know the dress code says non-distressed jeans are fine but will he look out of place?   Not that he'd really care but I would. 

By the way,  I've been lurking here for awhile getting lots of great information from all of you.   You're great! 

My husband prefers to wear casual slacks and a long sleeved shirt on casual nights with no tie and on formal nights he wears dress slacks and dress shirt with a tweed sports jacket and usually a tie.  He wears jeans during the day.

Just his preference.  He’s a Brit so I think this is why he likes to dress for dinner.

However, jeans in the MDR are perfectly acceptable on casual nights.  We just returned from a Princess cruise and many men wore shorts, tshirts and ball caps to the MDR even on formal night.  Usually accompanied by flip flops.  Apparently, dressing up for dinner is a thing of the past.

30 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We just returned from a Princess cruise and many men wore shorts, tshirts and ball caps to the MDR even on formal night.  Usually accompanied by flip flops.  Apparently, dressing up for dinner is a thing of the past.

Wow! That's certainly a change from our last Princess cruise.  We traveled with sister & brother-in-law and he attempted to enter the dining room in shorts and it was a no-go.  He was pissed.  But we all had pointed out to him that the suggested dress code said "no shorts" at dinner.  He refused to eat in the dining room for the rest of the cruise.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, smeesme said:

Thank you all.   I know the dress code says non-distressed jeans are fine but will he look out of place?   Not that he'd really care but I would. 

By the way,  I've been lurking here for awhile getting lots of great information from all of you.   You're great! 

He will be fine....I wear khaki pants and a sports shirt/long sleeve every night in the MDR no matter casual or dressy night....

I think the line is drawn at shorts...I've seen those poor souls sent away but that's about it.

As long as I am following the required dress code, I am fine....

Yes, he will be fine in jeans, but I can assure you that the Panama Canal is wicked hot and not conducive to jeans.  My DH travels with casual, comfortable slacks that dress "up or down", depending on his mood.  

• Like 2

I said get chinos or dockers in a posting above. That's good advice if you want to do the minimum, but if I could be so bold to suggest something else?

I have two tuxedos that I got for cruises starting back in 2012. I bring one or both (if they still fit!) when I cruise and let me tell you, I feel like a million bucks when I wear them on the ship gala nights.So many compliments from the ladies and yes, even the other men! I got them made-to-measure for a darned good price from a company called indochino.com, a Canadian company but I believe they do business in USA too and also online. The fit if measured properly is so well done that it doesn't feel stuffy or uncomfortable at all, something we forget was a thing in this age of off-the-rack mass-produced fast-fashion. Now hubby doesn't have to get a tux for a HAL cruise, but a dressy 'something' from them or elsewhere would certainly work, and he'd have it forever for any future cruise or event that requires a bit of dressiness.

Key point: You can't ever be 'over-dressed'. You never see posts about people worried that they might be too fancy.. it's always how low can they go and get away with it. Something to think about, and it is not nearly as expensive as one would think!

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Wow! That's certainly a change from our last Princess cruise.  We traveled with sister & brother-in-law and he attempted to enter the dining room in shorts and it was a no-go.  He was pissed.  But we all had pointed out to him that the suggested dress code said "no shorts" at dinner.  He refused to eat in the dining room for the rest of the cruise.

Honestly, nobody was turned away.  Backwards baseball caps were not an issue either.  It made me cringe, but things have changed a lot on Princess.  It felt more like a Carnival cruise.  We’re Elite, but we decided that would be our last Princess cruise.  Back to exclusively HAL.