Island Princess - Condition AFTER September, 2024 Refurb?

Smokeyham

We are scheduled to go on Island Princess in January, 2025 for a two week cruise through the Panama Canal.  I am a bit worried because I am reading multiple threads about the poor condition of the ship, especially about the air conditioning system and plumbing issues.

I know the ship is just completing a multi-week refit so if are on/have been on the ship since the refit can you give us an update on how things were on board?  

Thanks,

• Like 1

My SIL disembarked when it left the Palermo dry dock. The ship left late due to propulsion problems apparently! 

Strangely it is back at Palermo today but presumably as part of it's scheduled itinerary.

I was on the 10-day med cruise prior to dry dock in early September 2024.

As mentioned in other threads, given some people's reviews, I was expecting things not working and stuff falling from the ceilings.  Nope, that didn't happen.  It was (and assuming still is) a clean, well-run ship. We had a great time.

• Like 1

I have to agree with JGmf. I did two cruises on her in the Fall of 2023 and she was a great little ship, I didn't really notice any major wear and tear.  No issues with AC or plumbing to speak of, no gross smells down the hallway.  

I hope Princess keeps her and Coral Princess in the fleet for years to come, it's nice having that option for a small ship!

Andrew

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

We are scheduled to go on Island Princess in January, 2025 for a two week cruise through the Panama Canal.  I am a bit worried because I am reading multiple threads about the poor condition of the ship, especially about the air conditioning system and plumbing issues.

I know the ship is just completing a multi-week refit so if are on/have been on the ship since the refit can you give us an update on how things were on board?  

Thanks,

DH and I board the Island next weekend. Our Bayou Steakhouse dinner reservation was changed to Crown Grill so I'm assuming she now has a CG.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, muffydawg said:

DH and I board the Island next weekend. Our Bayou Steakhouse dinner reservation was changed to Crown Grill so I'm assuming she now has a CG.

I had heard that was made.  If you could make some comments back here on the condition of the ship after your cruise it would be most appreciated.

38 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

The problems were confined to quadrant 7. Rear starboard from deck 7-14. 

I read a number of different threads which identified air conditioning issues in various parts of the ship.  Hopefully all have been resolved during the refit.

8 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

I read a number of different threads which identified air conditioning issues in various parts of the ship.  Hopefully all have been resolved during the refit.

Not much success with conditions “AFTER refurb” comments it appears. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Not much success with conditions “AFTER refurb” comments it appears. 

Thinking about it, I probably should have just waited for a few more weeks to post the question!

7 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Thinking about it, I probably should have just waited for a few more weeks to post the question!

Don't think delaying posting your question to some point in the future would stop the inevitable, "well, I sailed on the Island in 2005 and..............."  responses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I was referring to plumbing issues. We didn’t have air conditioning problems on our cruise in an aft penthouse suite.

Thanks for that clarification!

i can give an update.  I'm on the Island Princess now, boarded Sept. 25 & its 1st after drydock.  this is my 1st & last Princess cruise.  we are E721, balcony aft.

the sewage smell complained of prior to drydock is still here.  a couple of the aft elevators are so bad that by the time i reached Lido deck my first morning, i was so nauseous I could only eat dry toast.  in passing through the halls on way to stairs a couple of the suites look lije they have flooding issues, they are constantly working on them & there is a mold smell.

food is soso, i had better on Carnival years ago.

staff is friendly but heaven help you if you ask for gluten free.  whrn i adked at Salty Dog if they had gf buns i was told i can only get them from bakery & thats a very long way away.

it was a nightmare getting stuff straight prior to cruise, app & website said contrary things, they removed my daughter from our table when i asked if we could specify a perimeter table due to her autism.  took me waiting to talk to maitred to fix it onboard.

Daughter has also gotten some gluten because her behavior has deteriorated, despite us constantly asking for verification.

if you have low expectations, you may be ok.  but i expected better.  

the ports are gorgeous in Med (not our 1st med cruise), but do private tours, cost of Princess are ridiculous.

i have to say overall Princess only advantage is most of their staff onboard.  other than that, i rate them below Carnival.  oh, & the entertainment is pitiful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boarded the Island Princess earlier today. As previously mentioned the Bayou Steakhouse was converted to a Crown Grill with wood floors. Additionally the Horizon Court was outfitted with soap, water, sink hand washing stations with underground paper towels. TTFN.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2024 at 6:21 AM, wantocruisemore said:

i can give an update.  I'm on the Island Princess now, boarded Sept. 25 & its 1st after drydock.  this is my 1st & last Princess cruise. .........

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time.  I hope you have a better time for the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muffydawg said:

Boarded the Island Princess earlier today. As previously mentioned the Bayou Steakhouse was converted to a Crown Grill with wood floors. Additionally the Horizon Court was outfitted with soap, water, sink hand washing stations with underground paper towels. TTFN.

What are "underground paper towels"?

• Like 2

On 9/27/2024 at 9:05 AM, muffydawg said:

The had already changed the menu prior to changing name. Too bad  I used to love the smothered steak

Boarded the Island Princess earlier today. As previously mentioned the Bayou Steakhouse was converted to a Crown Grill with wood floors. Additionally the Horizon Court was outfitted with soap, water, sink hand washing stations with undermount

paper towels. TTFN.

• Thanks 2

Staff in Wheelhouse Bar told us the venue received new carpet, had some furniture reupholstered. Lower counters at Good Spirits at Sea and Wheelhouse Bar were installed to accommodate folks using wheelchairs, scooters. TTFN.

• Thanks 2

Just finished and hot off cruise yesterday.  Unfortunately while the mildew smell improved, the air conditioning on our side of ship not working. Took several tries to get charges fixed because had plus package yet kept putting charges for drinks.  Finally got all straight after standing in line twice at guest services.  Entertainment on board pitiful.  Standards were below past Carnival cruises. Never again on Princess.  
only place for gluten free was main Provence dining room.  Buffet went downhill as cruise progressed.  Glad to get off, but then told to be at Wheelhouse Bar at 7:40 and they called our group early.

there were a few positives but overall disappointing.  

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2024 at 9:21 AM, wantocruisemore said:

i can give an update.  I'm on the Island Princess now, boarded Sept. 25 & its 1st after drydock.  this is my 1st & last Princess cruise.  we are E721, balcony aft.

the sewage smell complained of prior to drydock is still here.  a couple of the aft elevators are so bad that by the time i reached Lido deck my first morning, i was so nauseous I could only eat dry toast.  in passing through the halls on way to stairs a couple of the suites look lije they have flooding issues, they are constantly working on them & there is a mold smell.

food is soso, i had better on Carnival years ago.

staff is friendly but heaven help you if you ask for gluten free.  whrn i adked at Salty Dog if they had gf buns i was told i can only get them from bakery & thats a very long way away.

it was a nightmare getting stuff straight prior to cruise, app & website said contrary things, they removed my daughter from our table when i asked if we could specify a perimeter table due to her autism.  took me waiting to talk to maitred to fix it onboard.

Daughter has also gotten some gluten because her behavior has deteriorated, despite us constantly asking for verification.

if you have low expectations, you may be ok.  but i expected better.  

the ports are gorgeous in Med (not our 1st med cruise), but do private tours, cost of Princess are ridiculous.

i have to say overall Princess only advantage is most of their staff onboard.  other than that, i rate them below Carnival.  oh, & the entertainment is pitiful.

Hope aft improves before May, think I'm glad our favorite E723 cabin wasn't available we took a Penthouse Aft suite on a higher deck. I do know if there is sewage smell we won't be staying on the ship. My husband won't be able to sail if it is as bad as you have had to deal with. Will keep checking before final payment though, thanks.