Specialty reccomdendations

PFK56

We will be sailing with Oceania for the first time next month and I am interested in your favorite menu items in Toscana and Polo Grill. And also, choices that were big disappointments. I understand that tastes vary, so seeing what pops up the most might help us out.

Since you are only talking Polo and Toscana, you must be on an R ship but by your second dinner, I would suggest you head to the O Club Ambassador and talk to her about booking a future cruise and get all your benefits. You will love O. 
Back to food.

Polo, Jumbo shrimp cocktail, Waldorf Salad, Caesar Salad, Filet of Sole in any restaurant is always great, Filet Mignon Med. Rare, Desert, I go for the Quintet or quartet so I get a taster and then future visits I zero in on my favorite.  One friend always goes for Key Lime Pie. 
Toscana, Bread basket with Focaccia and all the wonderful olive oils and balsamic,Caesar Salad, DW’s ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is the Lasagne, appetizer or entire size, Sole, Filet of Sole, Filet Mignon and any Chef’s Pasta Special of the night. Quintet or quartet, whichever offered.

GDR, if you see any nightly special from Red Ginger and they have the Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass or Jacques Chicken, definitely get it. Soufflé of the day is a great desert. 

Just Enjoy. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

We have found that the shrimp cocktail as an appetizer is always larger earlier in the cruise - colossal vs jumbo, but both are good with a choice of sauces. You can always request a larger portion as an entree. 

The Dover Sole is always good. 

Either restaurant has tasty veal and lamb dishes. If you're really hungry they do an awesome 40+ ounce steak in Polo.

Ditto to the Chilean Sea Bass and Jacques Chicken. The Sea Bass is probably the favorite from Red Ginger, as is the chicken available in specialty restaurants on other ships. If you can indulge further seek out the watermelon and duck salad when its served in the MDR.

Enjoy!!!!!

• Like 1

Based on our Vista cruise, earlier in the year:

POLO - Pork belly and Waldorf salad to start. New York strip and fillet to follow - both OK. Cooked accurately as requested . Not as much flavour as we're used to, but then it is American beef, so to be expected. An OK dinner, but nothing to rave over, which has been our similar experience on two previous cruises

TOSCANA - the only speciality to pass our "holiday restaurant" test - if it was close to home, would we become regulars. The bread basket is the best on the ship.  I enjoyed the stuffed artichokes, gnocchi in pesto, veal escalope in marsala sauce and the Toscana quartet. My companion in life enjoyed the roast vegetable salad, lobster risotto , Dover sole and the berry tiramisu (that not being an improvement on a traditional tiramisu). A very nice meal, as previous occasions, but there's no single "must have" dish for future visits.

As  ever, these were just the dishes we fancied eating on the day. On another day, we might well have ordered something else, which is why its difficult to respond to the sort of question posed in the OP. It's no help whatsoever me recommending the pork belly, if the OP is Muslim or Jewish. Or simply doesnt enjoy fish. My only real recommendation to the OP is ignore what we're all saying and just order what you want to eat when you sit down for dinner. 

We also very much enjoyed eating in Ember, which is only on Vista. Which is more than can be said for Red Ginger. We've eaten in Red Ginger on two different ships and both times it was very underwhelming, with little of the vibrancy you expect from East Asian food. We've decided not to book there on the next cruise - we'll enjoy a meal in the GDR  more. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 2

By the by, I remember reading on a food forum I play on, that the "Dover sole" usually served in America is actually a Pacific flounder, rather than the Dover sole, caught off Northern European waters (like near the town of Dover) which is an actual sole. I don't have a good enough palate to know which Oceania serves

I think asking what is good is so subjective.  I don't like mushrooms.  I don't think of myself as a picky eater, but I still don't like mushrooms.  They're mushy and taste like dirt.  I'm pretty sure the rest of the world loves them as does my family, but they didn't get them when I was cooking for my family when they were growing up because I didn't like them because i was the chief cook and bottle washer.  I cooked things I wanted to eat.  And at this point in my life I feel a little silly picking the mushrooms out of my food so I avoid food with mushrooms.  But believe me I've done it many times in my life.

Just look at the menu and select something that looks good to you.  I've tried the Miso Sea Bass that so many others rave about.  I didn't find it that good.  It certainly wasn't terrible but I wouldn't have it again.  To me it was just kind of blah and a little too sweet.   But others love it and I respect their opinion.  Everyone has different tastes and that's why the menu has so many items on it.  

Just pick what sounds good to you.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Huib said:

There are lots of rave reviews of the miso glazed sea bass in Red Ginger.  I found it too sweet and not to my liking. The lamb rack was amazing though. Dover Sole is great. 

When we want sugar we order dessert.
Totally disliked the miso glazed fish from the first time it was served. It is always good to have choices.