More Sun Princess Questions

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Does the ships basic daily schedule, the Journey View thing, show up on the APP?

Has it been showing up before departure?

I wonder how soon before sailing you can see the events or shows that are scheduled for each day.

Yep, majority of all events show up on the app.  Keep in mind, due to changes in ports, etc… they do update.  The app will update as well.

Keep in mind also that you will not have the filled in schedule until much closer to departure, on the app now, you will have some of the major stuff but not all.

7 hours ago, Esprit said:

They had Grolsch in the Cascade bar when I was aboard in August.

Thanks. Pre-Covid I could get Grolsch at any bar. I was on the Caribbean Princess in April and the only place I could get Grolsch was in the MDR. Maybe I can try and ask if they can restock my minibar with Grolsch. It's worth a try.  🙂

• Like 1

On 10/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, nasa1974 said:

Thanks. Pre-Covid I could get Grolsch at any bar. I was on the Caribbean Princess in April and the only place I could get Grolsch was in the MDR. Maybe I can try and ask if they can restock my minibar with Grolsch. It's worth a try.  🙂

Just home from the Sun's TA and Grolsch was a available at every bar I asked for it.  So if it wasn't available on other ships it was a temporary situation. One thing I feel Princess needs to do is have all of the beers and wines by the glass readily available at all the bars/restaurants.  Beer wise they seems good on the Sun, wines by the glass were another story.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 12:49 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Those that have sailed on the Sun Princess did you find it to be warm or cold on the ship? I’m trying to decide if I should just bring a bunch of dresses and skirts along with a sweater or two. Would you also pack pants and jackets? 

As another noted, we just came off the TA and the ship was hot and humid inside for the most part.  Makes me wonder if the ship has adequate cooling capabilities.  Many other passengers we spoke with felt the same way. I also noted that some doors to the outside seemed to be kept open a lot, which when it is warm and humid out is a really bad idea.

I do also want to note my wife and I life in a low humidity environment, so we struggle a bit more than many when we go to the Caribbean, etc. The first day out is especially brutal for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rmsmith said:

As another noted, we just came off the TA and the ship was hot and humid inside for the most part.  Makes me wonder if the ship has adequate cooling capabilities.  Many other passengers we spoke with felt the same way. I also noted that some doors to the outside seemed to be kept open a lot, which when it is warm and humid out is a really bad idea.

I do also want to note my wife and I life in a low humidity environment, so we struggle a bit more than many when we go to the Caribbean, etc. The first day out is especially brutal for us.

Thank you. I think I’m leaning towards packing, mostly dresses and skirts. I might bring one or two pairs of pants. I also do not do well with humidity so this may be interesting for me 

Can anyone tell me about how large the Sanctuary area on Deck 18 is? I recently booked a Sanctuary Balcony room for a trip in May, which includes access to this area. There are 215 total rooms in the Sanctuary classification, so 430 people total at double-occupancy. Curious as to how full it might get?

On 10/1/2024 at 7:49 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It's October and time for me to start packing! I have a few questions if you have time to answer…

Those that have sailed on the Sun Princess did you find it to be warm or cold on the ship? I’m trying to decide if I should just bring a bunch of dresses and skirts along with a sweater or two. Would you also pack pants and jackets? 

We like to watch MUTS at night. We have never sailed in the Caribbean and are wondering if it gets cold at night like a West Coast cruise? We are sailing the Eastern and Western Caribbean if that makes a difference. Speaking of MUTS does anyone remember what newish movies are playing? 

We are really looking forward to the Sun Princess! Thank you for your helpful replies. 

I feel the cold, and I felt, for the most part it wasnt too bad on the Sun, although I did wear a cardigan a lot.

We also did MUTS. We were in Europe when it was warm, but when the ship sails, it can be windy up there.
I used to wrap myself up in several blankets and was fine. To be honest, sometimes I took up a hot water bottle to keep me warms.
The movies were a mix. We had Dirty Dancing one night. A Jurassic parc movie...I think it was the newest one....and something that was brand new but cant remember the name of it.

• Thanks 1

Sun Princess is HOT!! Everyone said take layers and be prepared for cool weather but that just wasted suitcase space. Wish I had taken 2 pr shorts instead of 1. (Sun Princess 9/23/24-10/11/24)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Sun Princess is HOT!! Everyone said take layers and be prepared for cool weather but that just wasted suitcase space. Wish I had taken 2 pr shorts instead of 1. (Sun Princess 9/23/24-10/11/24)

Thank you. Sounds like I should leave the 3 pairs of jeans and long sleeve shirts at home? 

56 minutes ago, LittleTinker said:

I feel the cold, and I felt, for the most part it wasnt too bad on the Sun, although I did wear a cardigan a lot.

We also did MUTS. We were in Europe when it was warm, but when the ship sails, it can be windy up there.
I used to wrap myself up in several blankets and was fine. To be honest, sometimes I took up a hot water bottle to keep me warms.
The movies were a mix. We had Dirty Dancing one night. A Jurassic parc movie...I think it was the newest one....and something that was brand new but cant remember the name of it.

Thank you. I will bring a warm outfit for MUTS nights. 

3 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you. Sounds like I should leave the 3 pairs of jeans and long sleeve shirts at home? 

I wore jeans sometimes but only because I didn't want to wear the same pair of shorts every day. My sweater never made it out of the suitcase. But I'm a Californian, maybe a Floridian would have a different take 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I wore jeans sometimes but only because I didn't want to wear the same pair of shorts every day. My sweater never made it out of the suitcase. But I'm a Californian, maybe a Floridian would have a different take 

I’m a Californian too. I’m now leaning towards dresses, and skorts with a tee and a zip up hoodie. 

9 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m a Californian too. I’m now leaning towards dresses, and skorts with a tee and a zip up hoodie. 

Thought so but didn't want to assume. My reference to Florida was more of anyone living in hot humid vs warm dry climates. Your clothes sound perfect. Much smarter than what I packed

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ombud said:

Thought so but didn't want to assume. Your clothes sound perfect. Much smarter than what I packed

Right now I think I have my entire closet packed so I’m glad you all told me what works out best for you. Time to unpack and repack. 🤣

• Haha 1

Question; What is everybody’s experience with the medallions? I have been quite intrigued by them, especially since I have a sailing booked on the first of March. I have never sailed Princess before and was just curious.

54 minutes ago, deckrbert said:

Question; What is everybody’s experience with the medallions? I have been quite intrigued by them, especially since I have a sailing booked on the first of March. I have never sailed Princess before and was just curious.

Very Convenient! I have the sustainable watch band and it’s easy to not forget, I put it on in the morning and wear it all day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deckrbert said:

Personally, I love the medallion. Hate carrying around those cards. You just walk up to your door and it unlocks. No signing little paper receipts ever, locates your travel companions...And the Ocean Now, which I now some complain about, always has worked well for me. Love ordering food or drink and having it delivered to you whereever you are.

• Like 1

How is the Ocean Now delivery system working?  We have been on other ships with that feature and either the food/drinks never arrived or it took over 1 hour.  We will be on the Sun Princess in November in a Deck 9 cabana cabin If I place an order and I am in my cabana or on my balcony will I be able to hear them at the door or will they know I am  "outside" and arrive to my cabana or balcony.  

1 hour ago, FLAlaska said:
3 hours ago, deckrbert said:

Personally, I love the medallion. Hate carrying around those cards. You just walk up to your door and it unlocks. No signing little paper receipts ever, locates your travel companions...And the Ocean Now, which I now some complain about, always has worked well for me. Love ordering food or drink and having it delivered to you whereever you are.

1 caveat: watch your bill. You don't need to tap your medallion for you to be charged and the server's tablet picks up everyone within radius. 2× I had other drinks on my tab (standard fare cruiser so it matters). Crew chat rapidly adjusts / corrects / removes charges. Don't waste time going to guest services

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, deckrbert said:

The medallion is absolutely great.  Virgin Voyages uses a similar RFID bracelet; and I suspect that over time, other cruise lines will follow.

The medallion is very convenient for all things that require interaction with ship staff and/or for booking and payment.  Plus, I like how I can locate my friends and family in other parts of the ship by either using the app or going to one of the interactive displays by the elevators.

3 hours ago, sandyoftheseas said:

How is the Ocean Now delivery system working?  We have been on other ships with that feature and either the food/drinks never arrived or it took over 1 hour.  We will be on the Sun Princess in November in a Deck 9 cabana cabin If I place an order and I am in my cabana or on my balcony will I be able to hear them at the door or will they know I am  "outside" and arrive to my cabana or balcony.  

we used the delivery a handful of times. No issues other than the menu is pretty limited.  It was nice to be on the cabana deck and have some food and drinks delivered to us.  We didn't try to use it on the lido deck and frankly given there are at least 3 convenient bars and plenty of food options up there they should disable delivery orders for those areas around the main pool - my opinion may not be popular there though.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 9:57 AM, Wishing on a star said:

Somebody posted screenshots from another website that seemed to show the Sun Princess going between the hurricane and other Tropical disturbance.  This showed all of the wind currents and everything.  It was like it was going right thru the middle of where these weather patterns meet,  weaving its way thru the path of least resistance, with a good tailwind.

Looks like these ships have really good weather guidance.

Cruise Mapper has the wind speeds as an option.

6 hours ago, sandyoftheseas said:

Poorly. We found it usually said unable to deliver and directed us to the local bar. Except once in a while it worked. Same seat in the dome, two days apart...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sandyoftheseas said:

So far it’s been working great for me.  We’re aboard right now (presently docked at Amber Cove), and the bar lines on sea days have sometimes been pretty epic (the ship is completely full and very busy), but my orders with OceanNow have usually shown up within about 10-15 minutes.  Your message reminded me that my drink was empty, so I ordered one to see how long it took - for the first time it just didn’t work.  After 45 minutes it said “delivered” but emphatically was not.  This is the first time I’ve ever had it not work.  Usually it’s 15 minutes or less.

I’m sitting back on the wakeview terrace, but the bar here doesn’t open until 10am, and the bartenders have really struggled to know who arrived when, so the assertive new arrivals tend to get served first while those of us quietly waiting…. wait.  Their tablet knows who we are, but not apparently how long we’ve been standing there.

• Thanks 1