Celebrity Error - Build a "Class System" into Your Ships

16 minutes ago, Cruising89143 said:

And for some such as us, we prefer the amenities and entertainment that the larger ships give us while still allowing us the choice to book places like the retreat if we want. At this time in our life have no desire to cruise on the smaller “luxury” lines. Celebrity currently fits our needs. People should book what they’re comfortable with. 

That's great. If you prefer the larger ships after trying a luxury one, why consider anything but the larger ship. I have not seen many posts regarding the port experience differences, so I tried to point a few out that may not be considered when choosing a cruise. I have not sailed a luxury cruise in the Caribbean - a location of the world where I mostly stay on the ship - so I am splitting my 2025 winter sailings between Celebrity, MSC, and Silversea. Perhaps I'll decide I enjoy one line more or maybe the added variety of jumping ships will prevail. Time will tell...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yes!  People keep saying “well I know the cruise you want is more expensive on Celebrity but here’s one you don’t care about that is cheaper on a luxury line.  It’s only $25,000 a person but anyone can afford that. Equality!”  Some of us have done the math but I’m happen to listen to anyone with a like for like.

I ask everyone, how is the entertainment on those 400 person ships?  Because entertainment, food and excursions are why we cruise.

lol exactly, it normally when I price it out is 20k or more and I've never paid that with Celebrity and I'm a solo cruiser so normally get nailed for more $ anyway.

I find it a little ironic about the whole class thing when in the past cruising was for the rich, now its more accessible and there are levels based on what people are willing to pay. But really if you aren't paying for a suite then you aren't going to get the same levels. Sorry that offends people but that's the way of the world. I come from a poor background and worked my way to middle class, I know what my money is worth and what I am willing to pay for. I'm not going to throw a fit over people who have paid more getting priority access to seats (that if you waited you would also have access to - they aren't even the best seats).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

If you add in all of the costs that Celebrity charges, you will find that you are probably paying more on Celebrity.  Celebrity drink package, upgrade to Celebrity drink package, additional costs per glass of wine, room service charges, Wi-Fi, upgrade to Wi-Fi, specialty dining, chefs table, wine pairing for chefs table, excursions, and more.  Depending upon the line, many of these charges are included in the base fare of a premium/luxury line.  

On my last non-Celebrity cruise I dined at the Chef's table 3 times with wine pairings for no charge.  My additional bill was zero for two weeks.

I’ve never heard of free (non-promotional) chef’s dinner on any cruise line even for 1 time during a cruise.

11 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I’ve never heard of free (non-promotional) chef’s dinner on any cruise line even for 1 time during a cruise.

On AMA Waterways we dined there 3 times with wine pairings.  Walked off of the ship with a zero dollar bill.  We even got to watch the chef cook if we desired.  Pricing included wine, excursions,  everything on the ship was a step above Celebrity.  The excursion buses were nicer buses.  The wine was local and the food was local.

A better elevated experience IMHO.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

On AMA Waterways we dined there 3 times with wine pairings.  Walked off of the ship with a zero dollar bill.  We even got to watch the chef cook if we desired.  Pricing included wine, excursions,  everything on the ship was a step above Celebrity.  The excursion buses were nicer buses.  The wine was local and the food was local.

A better elevated experience IMHO.

Oh, a river cruise.  My note was regarding ocean cruises.  On our last Seabourn Pursuit expedition cruise (with included 7/24 black caviar) chef’s dinner was for a large fee and even more with wine paring.

Edited by kirtihk

22 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

lol exactly, it normally when I price it out is 20k or more and I've never paid that with Celebrity and I'm a solo cruiser so normally get nailed for more $ anyway.

I find it a little ironic about the whole class thing when in the past cruising was for the rich, now its more accessible and there are levels based on what people are willing to pay. But really if you aren't paying for a suite then you aren't going to get the same levels. Sorry that offends people but that's the way of the world. I come from a poor background and worked my way to middle class, I know what my money is worth and what I am willing to pay for. I'm not going to throw a fit over people who have paid more getting priority access to seats (that if you waited you would also have access to - they aren't even the best seats).

Same here.  I have an MBA and I do not understand how a $15,000 cruise on Celebrity is elitist but a $50,000 cruise on Regent is egalitarian.  Yes I’ve done the math.  I am comparing the equivalent of Sky Suite or Aqua Class.  I think some of these people find a cheaper price for a Penthouse suite and call that egalitarian.

• Like 1

When we “discovered” Celebrity Retreat late in the last decade, we found a cruise option which was almost as good overall as the Regent and Silversea cruises we had been taking — for a much lower fare. We had the same service in the Retreat, including the in suite mini bar, drinks in the Retreat venues and ship wide, and Retreat only places to escape the crowds that sometimes were experienced in parts of the main ship. Plus, we could get a larger suite for less money. But in more recent times, we have found the Retreat more costly than the lux lines, so we have returned to them (Regent). But last July Regents stopped including air and ground transfers in their prices on new bookings after then. As a result, I don’t have a handle on the comparative costs. 

Regarding the reserved theater seating, if it were offered only to Retreat guests, it might be understandable. But to sell this perk to non-Retreat guests seems like more nickel and diming. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

When we “discovered” Celebrity Retreat late in the last decade, we found a cruise option which was almost as good overall as the Regent and Silversea cruises we had been taking — for a much lower fare. We had the same service in the Retreat, including the in suite mini bar, drinks in the Retreat venues and ship wide, and Retreat only places to escape the crowds that sometimes were experienced in parts of the main ship. Plus, we could get a larger suite for less money. But in more recent times, we have found the Retreat more costly than the lux lines, so we have returned to them (Regent). But last July Regents stopped including air and ground transfers in their prices on new bookings after then. As a result, I don’t have a handle on the comparative costs. 

Regarding the reserved theater seating, if it were offered only to Retreat guests, it might be understandable. But to sell this perk to non-Retreat guests seems like more nickel and diming. 

So do you think a company should not be allowed to offer a perk for $75 a day if someone else pays $500 a day for their cabin and gets the same perk?  Or is your problem with giving customers a choice of what they can pay for?

I’m just not interested in spending $20/30/50,000 on a luxury cruise so that I can sit in a small restaurant and compare who spends more on their vacation.

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So do you think a company should not be allowed to offer a perk for $75 a day if someone else pays $500 a day for their cabin and gets the same perk?  Or is your problem with giving customers a choice of what they can pay for?

I’m just not interested in spending $20/30/50,000 on a luxury cruise so that I can sit in a small restaurant and compare who spends more on their vacation.

On our multiple cruises no one was comparing prices they paid (or bragging in any way), and I talk a lot around small (and not so small) ships.

Edited by kirtihk

29 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

There is a wrong concept regarding Tegent “free” air.  It was never free.  Yes, it was included, but the price was adjusted up front to include an air price. After they “excluded” air price I saw for cruise sailing (existing prior to the change) the base price was reduced by the air price.  The Regent, however, increased the air price at the same time, but that is a different topic.

Edited by kirtihk

25 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

There is a wrong concept regarding Tegent “free” air.  It was never free.  Yes, it was included, but the price was adjusted up front to include an air price. After they “excluded” air price I saw for cruise sailing (existing prior to the change) the base price was reduced by the air price.  The Regent, however, increased the air price at the same time, but that is a different topic.

So with airfare removed is it still cheaper than Celebrity?

In fairness the "class system" is cruising now. If it erks you move to luxury lines where their is no class system. You pay more for a better cabin. But generally the perks are the same throughout the ship. And I will say, the people paying for Retreat or Yacht Club ARE PAYING the same as going on a small ship luxury line. Which I will never understand. If I am paying for a luxury cruise I am paying to be pampered. I love Celebrity. By far the best mainstream cruise out there imo. But it is NOT a luxury cruise line. Until you actually take a luxury cruise you cannot understand the difference. The vibe is ENTIRELY different. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

But co paring Regent to Celebrity is ridiculous anyways. There is nothing to compare. 

People compare pricing.  The rest is truly not comparable.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Until you actually take a luxury cruise you cannot understand the difference. The vibe is ENTIRELY different. 

I agree with that. You may or may not enjoy it but you won't know until you try it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness the "class system" is cruising now. If it erks you move to luxury lines where their is no class system. You pay more for a better cabin. But generally the perks are the same throughout the ship. And I will say, the people paying for Retreat or Yacht Club ARE PAYING the same as going on a small ship luxury line. Which I will never understand. If I am paying for a luxury cruise I am paying to be pampered. I love Celebrity. By far the best mainstream cruise out there imo. But it is NOT a luxury cruise line. Until you actually take a luxury cruise you cannot understand the difference. The vibe is ENTIRELY different. 

Yes, yes, yes!!!

• Like 1

I’m still waiting for someone to explain why small ships are better.  I asked about entertainment and no answer.  I’ve already tried Viking.  I’m not sure why Regent, or Oceania or Silver Sea is better.  Can I really get a 14 day cruise on these luxury lines for less than $10,000 for a balcony cabin with two pax?

Silversea 6 day 3 port cruise smallest cabin assigned by company $8400.

Regent 11 day Tokyo round trip $9800 PER PERSON.  Smallest cabin.

I believe neither include airfare.

Edited by zitsky

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m still waiting for someone to explain why small ships are better.  I asked about entertainment and no answer.  I’ve already tried Viking.  I’m not sure why Regent, or Oceania or Silver Sea is better.  Can I really get a 14 day cruise on these luxury lines for less than $10,000 for a balcony cabin with two pax?

If "entertainment" is the most important to you. Then...Yes dont try luxury cruising. The entertainment will make you feel underwhelmed. Regent is the exception in luxury cruising. Their shows are pretty incredible. But their food, while great, is not the best, And that is where the game plays out. What is REALLY important to you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If "entertainment" is the most important to you. Then...Yes dont try luxury cruising. The entertainment will make you feel underwhelmed. Regent is the exception in luxury cruising. Their shows are pretty incredible. But their food, while great, is not the best, And that is where the game plays out. What is REALLY important to you?

I’ve already said what’s important to me AND that I’ve already tried small ship.  But I guess I must be stupid for not trying another small ship at 2/3/4 times the price of Celebrity.

Food is bad.  No entertainment.  But I paid twice as much as Celebrity so I feel great!

Edited by zitsky

Just now, zitsky said:

I’ve already said what’s important to me AND that I’ve already tried small ship.  But I guess I must be stupid for not trying another small ship at 2/3/4 times the price of Celebrity.

Woah. Apparently I walked into a conversation here.....I will step out and let you educate us on the comparison between Celebrity and small ships...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Woah. Apparently I walked into a conversation here.....I will step out and let you educate us on the comparison between Celebrity and small ships...

I think the people advocating for small ships should educate people, not me.  This is not the Regent forum.  Apparently you have a problem with me not being convinced how awesome they are.

Just now, zitsky said:

Apparently you have a problem with me

I dont know you. I was simply saying comparing Celebrity to a luxury cruise is laughable. Any luxury line. There is no comparison. And I still cruise Celebrity. Because I love the brand. THE BEST mainstream line. But not even close to a luxury cruise

• Like 3

Well, sorry if I offended anybody. The whole idea with the Retreat was to offer those who normally take lux lines a reasonable other choice to the lux lines, at less cost. And late in the last decade X did that. Now, not so much. I have reviewed what a Retreat cruise costs, and what a lux line cruise costs now. With all the changes (none for the benefit of guests), we may just stay in our home on a mountainside in the Colorado mountains until ALL the cruise lines get real! And, yeah, I think all guests on a cruise should have equal treatment in the areas open to all guests. It is confusing when a ship has exclusive venues for suite guests. Should that exclusion extend into areas accessible to non-suite guests with privilege granted to the suite guests? IDK. But should non-suite guests face an extra charge for priority seating?  I think not, as it is nickle- and diming the non suite guests. 

• Like 2