Celebrity Error - Build a "Class System" into Your Ships

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know you. I was simply saying comparing Celebrity to a luxury cruise is laughable. Any luxury line. There is no comparison. And I still cruise Celebrity. Because I love the brand. THE BEST mainstream line. But not even close to a luxury cruise

I don’t know who you are or why that’s relevant. I’m glad you like Celebrity.  I’m pretty sure I could afford a “luxury” line.  I choose not to.  

I’m still waiting for someone to compare A to A and B to B.  Don’t tell me that a basic cabin on a luxury line is cheaper than the most expensive on Celebrity.  Every time I price these “luxury all included lines” I shake my head at the money some people are throwing away.  I am not seeing these amazing deals everyone is talking about.  

If I want luxury, I just have to get in my car while I drive to the nearest McDonald’s.  Celebrity gives me good food and good service and decent entertainment.  Why would I pay twice as much?

1 minute ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, sorry if I offended anybody. The whole idea with the Retreat was to offer those who normally take lux lines a reasonable other choice to the lux lines, at less cost. And late in the last decade X did that. Now, not so much. I have reviewed what a Retreat cruise costs, and what a lux line cruise costs now. With all the changes (none for the benefit of guests), we may just stay in our home on a mountainside in the Colorado mountains until ALL the cruise lines get real! And, yeah, I think all guests on a cruise should have equal treatment in the areas open to all guests. It is confusing when a ship has exclusive venues for suite guests. Should that exclusion extend into areas accessible to non-suite guests with privilege granted to the suite guests? IDK. But should non-suite guests face an extra charge for priority seating?  I think not, as it is nickle- and diming the non suite guests. 

There are events on board reserved for Elites aka Zenith.  I’m excluded from certain areas at certain times.  I don’t think that’s fair.  Do you?

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Well thats cool. Than dont try ro compare them. Because you simply cant.

I have a Mercedes and a BMW in my garage.  If I want a back massage I drive the Mercedes.  If I want an underpowered car that thinks it’s fast, I drive the BMW.  Some 25 year olds think a BMW is “luxury” compared to their parent’s Toyota.  I guess I’m 25 again because to me, Celebrity is “good enough”.

What is your definition of luxury?  

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I have a Mercedes and a BMW in my garage.  If I want a back massage I drive the Mercedes.  If I want an underpowered car that thinks it’s fast, I drive the BMW.  Some 25 year olds think a BMW is “luxury” compared to their parent’s Toyota.  I guess I’m 25 again because to me, Celebrity is “good enough”.

Wait so the cars in your garage are supposed to influence my vacation....LMAO. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Wait so the cars in your garage are supposed to influence my vacation....LMAO. 

You ask me “who are you” and “should your cars change how I cruise”.  Please step away from the mushrooms.  Go learn how the internet works.

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No I did not. I said you dont know me. Thats it. We should probably end this now. 

The way people usually end conversations is by not replying.  Not by replying again and again.  😳

My conclusion on this topic: 

On a vacation, I can choose a camping trip, a train trip, an organized tour etc.

If I choose a cruise, it's because I love the ocean. Being deprived of 25% of the ocean horizon, because I chose not to buy the retreat, is hurtful to me. 

Of note, I don't care about Luminae, Michael's, butlers, priority lines etc. All I care about is the ocean. This is why I cruise. Therefore, paying that much more money for a suite, for all these other unwanted perks feels like wasted money, to me.

I used to have free access to 360 degrees view on the ocean. I chose RCL for my first cruise, just because of their Viking Crown Lounge and their wrap around walking deck.

On Celebrity E Class, I was told too bad, so sad!!! 

P.s. I am fully aware of what my options are. I am just expressing, a heartfelt disappointment, which will likely turn me away from an experience I used to love.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I am also seeing MSC Yacht Club cruises that are priced the same as I just paid for my SV on Apex.

Yes, but did your SV on Apex include all the benefits that come with the YC e.g. 1 bottle of liquor, free mini-bar (beer, soda, water), premium drink package, butler service 24/7, etc.? 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know you. I was simply saying comparing Celebrity to a luxury cruise is laughable. Any luxury line. There is no comparison. And I still cruise Celebrity. Because I love the brand. THE BEST mainstream line. But not even close to a luxury cruise

Don’t bother please to explain. I figured it’s not possible.  Besides, we do not need to convince anyone.  I said 5-7 times within last 3 days - everything is relative.

Not comparable doesn’t mean luxury cruise lines are better in every single aspect.  It means all parts of their product in each category (that an individual tries to compare) are different in a sense of delivery of what is considered as an achievement of a perfect vacation.  When delivery occurs, one experiences feelings of joy, education, accomplishment, satisfaction, relaxation, …. We are all different, and combination of individual personalities, expectations, education (yes, education, too), and their feelings produces a variety of out coming conclusions.  As result, some would prefer to stick with Celebrity (and similar cruise limits) and their level of production of items they are important and critical to fulfill one’s vacation time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

On AMA Waterways we dined there 3 times with wine pairings.

You are comparing a river cruise with an ocean cruise.  Okay .. I thought we were dealing with apples to apples.  Now what you have been saying makes more sense. 

Just my two cents.  We have sailed most of the lines at least once, but we have settled in to Celebrity, and have maybe 35 cruises or so with Celebrity.  Yes, the S-class remains our favorite, but our next three cruises are on the Beyond and Ascent.  We'll see how that goes.  We really were not crazy about our cruise on the Edge, but maybe we were just fretting about the "no balcony" for the entirety of the cruise.   We have gotten over that, we'll see how we like our next three Edge class sailings.  We like the size of the Celebrity ships, large enough to enjoy a variety of music, dancing, activities and overall entertainment, and the opportunity to just get lost and do our own thing.  We enjoy all the activities, and if we so desire, we do not have to mingle should we just  want to enjoy just being "us".  We cruised on the Regent Navigator a few years back.  I think that ship held maybe 540 passengers.  Way too small for us.   Very little entertainment and certainly lacked a variety of entertainment.  There was a piano player who was supposed to play each evening on this 14 night cruise.  There was little else to do, SO my wife and I enjoyed listening to the piano guy.  As that was all the choice we had.  One evening, it was about 10:05 P.M., and the "daily planner" said the piano player would play until "late".  Well, he started playing at 10:00 P.M., and after one song, he got up and was about to leave.  There were only two couples listening to him.  My Wife and I and one other couple.  Everyone of the other 500 passengers must have gone to bed.  We asked where he was going. and he said his contract states that "if no one is here to listen, he could leave."  I said you were playing for we two couples, And who knows maybe someone else will show up. He said 4 people is just like no-one, and he just left.  So, at 10:00 P.M. om the Regent Navigator, (a Luxury Line) there was not one thing going on.  And that is why we do not cruise those smaller luxury lines.  Price had nothing to do with it.  Just the lack of activities. And, yes, the food was a little better, but it did mot make up for the fact that there was nothing to do in the evening.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I said a few days ago the music provided by HAL is

important to us which is one of the reasons for leaving

Celebrity but we also like occasionally treating 

ourselves to Viking, Azamara and Silversea. Viking and

Azamara tend to be a bit more lively in the evenings but

we did enjoy our recent Silversea cruise even though we

had to accept that the variety of entertainment would be

rather limited. It was a sociable cruise which filled gaps

but the food, service and free excursions justified our

choice. It is an inevitable fact that there will be less

entertainment on the smaller ships compared to X

and HAL. Ultimately, choices have to be made (isn’t 

it a tough life?!!).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

Just my two cents.  We have sailed most of the lines at least once, but we have settled in to Celebrity, and have maybe 35 cruises or so with Celebrity.  Yes, the S-class remains our favorite, but our next three cruises are on the Beyond and Ascent.  We'll see how that goes.  We really were not crazy about our cruise on the Edge, but maybe we were just fretting about the "no balcony" for the entirety of the cruise.   We have gotten over that, we'll see how we like our next three Edge class sailings.  We like the size of the Celebrity ships, large enough to enjoy a variety of music, dancing, activities and overall entertainment, and the opportunity to just get lost and do our own thing.  We enjoy all the activities, and if we so desire, we do not have to mingle should we just  want to enjoy just being "us".  We cruised on the Regent Navigator a few years back.  I think that ship held maybe 540 passengers.  Way too small for us.   Very little entertainment and certainly lacked a variety of entertainment.  There was a piano player who was supposed to play each evening on this 14 night cruise.  There was little else to do, SO my wife and I enjoyed listening to the piano guy.  As that was all the choice we had.  One evening, it was about 10:05 P.M., and the "daily planner" said the piano player would play until "late".  Well, he started playing at 10:00 P.M., and after one song, he got up and was about to leave.  There were only two couples listening to him.  My Wife and I and one other couple.  Everyone of the other 500 passengers must have gone to bed.  We asked where he was going. and he said his contract states that "if no one is here to listen, he could leave."  I said you were playing for we two couples, And who knows maybe someone else will show up. He said 4 people is just like no-one, and he just left.  So, at 10:00 P.M. om the Regent Navigator, (a Luxury Line) there was not one thing going on.  And that is why we do not cruise those smaller luxury lines.  Price had nothing to do with it.  Just the lack of activities. And, yes, the food was a little better, but it did mot make up for the fact that there was nothing to do in the evening.  

Hear, hear!  Folks pushing “luxury” lines keep saying how great they are.  I’ve not been on “luxury” but I’ve been on small ship.  If I have to go to my cabin to watch a movie because there is no theater show, then I’m not interested. 

My husband and I are both 57.  He is more active but we walk at least 2-3 miles a day.  He says we’ll go back to Viking (or Regent) when we’re both in a wheelchair.  And deaf and blind so we don’t care about entertainment.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

My conclusion on this topic: 

On a vacation, I can choose a camping trip, a train trip, an organized tour etc.

If I choose a cruise, it's because I love the ocean. Being deprived of 25% of the ocean horizon, because I chose not to buy the retreat, is hurtful to me. 

Of note, I don't care about Luminae, Michael's, butlers, priority lines etc. All I care about is the ocean. This is why I cruise. Therefore, paying that much more money for a suite, for all these other unwanted perks feels like wasted money, to me.

I used to have free access to 360 degrees view on the ocean. I chose RCL for my first cruise, just because of their Viking Crown Lounge and their wrap around walking deck.

On Celebrity E Class, I was told too bad, so sad!!! 

P.s. I am fully aware of what my options are. I am just expressing, a heartfelt disappointment, which will likely turn me away from an experience I used to love.

If you are aware of your options then why the lamentation?  There are two other CLASSES of ships you can book on Celebrity or dozens of ships on other cruise lines to give you what you want.

Seriously some of you act like the police broke in and made you book a cruise you don’t like?!  And you act like you are forced into an inside cabin 24 hours a day and not allowed to see the ocean.  

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Hear, hear!  Folks pushing “luxury” lines keep saying how great they are.  I’ve not been on “luxury” but I’ve been on small ship.  If I have to go to my cabin to watch a movie because there is no theater show, then I’m not interested. 

My husband and I are both 57.  He is more active but we walk at least 2-3 miles a day.  He says we’ll go back to Viking (or Regent) when we’re both in a wheelchair.  And deaf and blind so we don’t care about entertainment.

And besides that issue (as well as price), there is the issue of size in general.  I get seasick fairly easily and I know I just couldn't handle those smaller ships.  The smallest I've sailed was the Celebrity Horizon and I had issues on that sometimes.  I need bigger ships which are overall more stable.

13 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And besides that issue (as well as price), there is the issue of size in general.  I get seasick fairly easily and I know I just couldn't handle those smaller ships.  The smallest I've sailed was the Celebrity Horizon and I had issues on that sometimes.  I need bigger ships which are overall more stable.

Same here.  We’ll get seasick on medium sized Celebrity ships in places like South America so we book midship.  I’m waiting for someone to say, Well I know you get sea sick on small ships, but you really don’t know what you’re missing…….  🙄

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, but did your SV on Apex include all the benefits that come with the YC e.g. 1 bottle of liquor, free mini-bar (beer, soda, water), premium drink package, butler service 24/7, etc.? 

The Celebrity SV included none of these perks.  That is why I am starting to browse MSC Yacht Club...

When I add the premium drink package on Celebrity,  Celebrity is more expensive.

Edited by NMTraveller

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

You can have my old Toyota Tercel 🤣

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

You can have my old Toyota Tercel 🤣

No thanks.  A V4 BMW 5 series is already slow enough.  Pretty pathetic when a V8 Mercedes limousine is faster than a 5 series.  

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Celebrity SV included none of these perks.  That is why I am starting to browse MSC Yacht Club...

When I add the premium drink package on Celebrity,  Celebrity is more expensive.

I found a decent 10 day Japan cruise but I have no idea what prices will be.  2025 Yacht Club is sold out and 2026 is not published.  I’ll check the MSC forum.

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, sorry if I offended anybody. The whole idea with the Retreat was to offer those who

normally take lux lines a reasonable other choice to the lux lines, at less cost. And late in the last decade X did that. Now, not so much.

Well, sorry but I believe this thesis it totally inaccurate. 

The whole idea with the Retreat was, for the Royal Caribbean Group, which also owns Silversea (a lux line), was to try to get into the "ship-within-a-ship" game after noting the massively positive and successful MSC Yacht Club which was the first challenge to the NCL Haven.  A little history (more confirmation of such is available in the RCCL Group annual reports and investor relations presentations of the E Class ships referencing the information below).

image.thumb.jpeg.fdacce6f9ebc0bb0fe37b750ecddec46.jpeg

Again, the group already has a lux line in Silversea with a fleet of ~

SEA SHIPS

SILVER DAWN

SILVER MOON

SILVER MUSE

SILVER NOVA

SILVER RAY

SILVER SHADOW

SILVER SPIRIT

SILVER WHISPER

EXPEDITION SHIPS

SILVER CLOUD

SILVER ENDEAVOUR

SILVER ORIGIN 

SILVER WIND

With all the changes (none for the benefit of guests), we may just stay in our home on a mountainside in the Colorado mountains until ALL the cruise lines get real! 

Yikes, now all of the cruise lines, which have build tens of billions of dollars of new, beautiful, amenity laden ships, are 'bad' too?

And, yeah, I think all guests on a cruise should have equal treatment in the areas open to all guests. It is confusing when a ship has exclusive venues for suite guests. Should that exclusion extend into areas accessible to non-suite guests with privilege granted to the suite guests? IDK. 

I don't understand the confusion of 'you get what you pay for' being extended into 'giving the same to those who chose not to pay for?'

For example, price out a Disney World trip for 4 for a week, but remember if you pay for the All-Star Resort you don't get to go use and sleep at the Grand Floridian, if you don't buy Genie or + you don't get to go to the front of the line, etc., and you won't get the menu and experience of Victoria & Alberts or the California Grill if you reserve and pay for the menu and experience at the Plaza Restaurant at the Magic Kingdom.

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

If you book an MSC cruise and purchase an excursion, do they have an English-speaking option?

I have only sailed on MSC from US ports. No problem with English speaking tours. On other cruise lines that I have sailed on in various part of the world English has always been an option. I cannot comment specifically on MSC because I do not have personal experience sailing from non US ports. 

• Thanks 1