Passport vs Drivers License

debnrick

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The birth certificate does not have to be the original copy. If you do not have an original copy, you can get a certified copy from whatever jurisdiction issued the original. We had to do this when DW's Mom threw out the original and mailed her the hospital copy, a copy that will not suffice as proof of identity.

I should’ve added certified. When our kids were little we made several photocopies of their birth certificates for sports, they wouldn’t be valid for cruising.

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

For certain countries, but not for most cruises.

Agreed, however, there are counties with a 3 or 6 month(s) or no requirement.  However, per CCL document requirements if using a passport "The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the completion of travel." as previously posted in the thread.  I would not want to be the test subject to CCL rules and possibility get denied boarding if a passport that expires within 6 months of my cruise.      

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I should’ve added certified. When our kids were little we made several photocopies of their birth certificates for sports, they wouldn’t be valid for cruising.

Yes, they would be. The regulations for closed loop cruises do say that a photocopy may be used as does Carnival's FAQ.

Edited by sparks1093

3 hours ago, JMAE said:

Agreed, however, there are counties with a 3 or 6 month(s) or no requirement.  However, per CCL document requirements if using a passport "The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the completion of travel." as previously posted in the thread.  I would not want to be the test subject to CCL rules and possibility get denied boarding if a passport that expires within 6 months of my cruise.      

Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with and I would be more than comfortable showing up with a passport with less the 6 months remaining for a closed loop cruise.

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Actually, most cruise companies recommend 6 months validity, some do require it for all itineraries but those are typically the upscale lines. It would be silly to require those with a passport to have six months validity while there are people boarding without a passport at all. (And regardless of Carnival's wording they are not going to deny boarding if someone's passport happens to have less than 6 months validity remaining if it is not actually required by the itinerary.)

OP, she will need a government issued birth certificate to board and it can be a copy. If she has had to give a copy of her birth certificate to anyone and they still have it then she could get a copy of that (as long as it's legible) and use it. (Not the best situation but better than missing a cruise.)

I am right there with you and argued this point until I am blue in the face but you would be hard pressed to convince 95% of the people on the internet that this is true.It just doesn't make sense to be able to cruise with a birth certificate and drivers license and can't with a passport with less than 6 months left on it for a closed loop cruise.

This sounds like a question for Ferrywatcher. I am on the side that Carnival won't deny boarding for a closed loop with a passport that is within 6 months of expiring. So people with a license that expires in a month and a birth certificate can board but someone with a passport that expires in 5 months with be denied for a closed loop US cruise? I don't think there is any logic in this, especially since Carnival clarifies further down that document paragraph what is needed.