HAL cruiser first time on NCL

This is just a short synopsis of my opinion after our first NCL cruise.  Devoted HAL cruiser but got a good price on NCL to Canada from Boston, ports we had not visited before.

Overall enjoyed NCL Jade for its smaller size and ease of dining.  Also like the casual dress code.  Because the Grand Pacific dining room is smaller and the way it is arranged many seats have a window view.  We didn’t like the Alizar though, it felt like eating in the basement.  My biggest complaint of all the included dining venues was the quality of food.  95% was OK but not great.  The French restaurant was good but not outstanding.  Portions were always too carb centric and large except for veggies, more a garnish or for color. The buffet’s selection was better of course, and the layout made it much easier than HAL to access.  We particularly like the great outdoors buffet and outdoor seating area.  

Bars were ok but crowded and noisy, most of the time we had to order at the bar.  The first production show was outstanding, the next was an acrobatic performance that we didn’t particularly like but others seemed to.  Musicians around the ship were quite good but as bars were loud not as enjoyable. 

Overall for us the cruise reinforces our commitment to HAL.  On food quality and healthy options alone it wins.  And I find the variety of bars and evening entertainment more our style. So that was our first and last NCL cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Last year, we did three cruises over a four month period on HAL Konigsdam, Celebrity Millennium, and Norwegian Epic.  At the time, that was our first cruise on all three lines and we wanted to experience a number of lines before making any commitments to one line or the other.

I want travel to be stress-free.  I want to pay my money, pack, head to the ship, board the ship, have great food, have some fun, and disembark.  If I can do that very easily, I am happy.

We really disliked NCL for the following reasons:

1) In-person Muster drills (since changed) where the employees screamed at us for 75 minutes.

2) Most of the entertainment venues on the Epic were tiny for a 4000+ passenger ship.  There was no uniformed staff to manage the crowd.  For example, the comedy club venue held 125 MAX and most of the seats were "saved" an hour before the show.

3) They actively discourage table sharing in the MDR.  We have met so many friends on cruises by sharing a meal with them.

4) The variety of the food in the buffet was mediocre.

5) The staff was VERY UNHAPPY.  Almost no one was smiling and the service showed.

There were other issues but those were the big ones.

As for the HAL buffet, I initially did NOT like being served most food.  However, on HAL, I can pick up my plate of food, find a table easily and have a staff member bring me a beverage and clear my table so that when I complete the meal, my table is turned immediately, freeing up space for the next patron.  This is a contrast to having to hunt a table down for 5-10 minutes with your food on my last Celebrity cruise ...

Since these experiences, I have booked two more cruises on Celebrity and three more on HAL.  NCL joined Costa in my "never again" list,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Lizard13 said:

This is just a short synopsis of my opinion after our first NCL cruise.  Devoted HAL cruiser but got a good price on NCL to Canada from Boston, ports we had not visited before.

Overall enjoyed NCL Jade for its smaller size and ease of dining.  Also like the casual dress code.  Because the Grand Pacific dining room is smaller and the way it is arranged many seats have a window view.  We didn’t like the Alizar though, it felt like eating in the basement.  My biggest complaint of all the included dining venues was the quality of food.  95% was OK but not great.  The French restaurant was good but not outstanding.  Portions were always too carb centric and large except for veggies, more a garnish or for color. The buffet’s selection was better of course, and the layout made it much easier than HAL to access.  We particularly like the great outdoors buffet and outdoor seating area.  

Bars were ok but crowded and noisy, most of the time we had to order at the bar.  The first production show was outstanding, the next was an acrobatic performance that we didn’t particularly like but others seemed to.  Musicians around the ship were quite good but as bars were loud not as enjoyable. 

Overall for us the cruise reinforces our commitment to HAL.  On food quality and healthy options alone it wins.  And I find the variety of bars and evening entertainment more our style. So that was our first and last NCL cruise.

Like you when looking for cruises we look for where we can get more bang for our hard earned dollar. Yes, we have eliminated a few lines as the years have gone by. Smaller ships which have dwindled down the choices so itineraries are our next in line for cruising.

thanks for these reviews.  I always "shop" NCL but get turned off by the prices for what I would expect to be an inferior cruise.  When booking our next sailing I was wowed by all the "free" offers that were being touted, but when I checked out, I was being charged for all the perks.  Cruising is too expensive now (we are a family of four) to spend 12K+ to try out a new cruise line.  

On 10/8/2024 at 11:46 AM, Lizard13 said:

So that was our first and last NCL cruise.

Suggest that you try the newest big ships. They've been designed to accommodate large numbers. The traditional designs don't work when you cram in 3rd and 4th pax in the cabins.

Recently, I was on MSC's Meravilgia. Its slightly large in GT with slightly more pax. But, its a decade newer than the Epic. Whilst my cabin was the in Yacht Club section, I did wander into the public area. Much impressed and enjoyed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2999977-review-meraviglia-march-2024/#comment-67166012

Meraviglia DSC_7922 Dome.jpg

Meraviglia DSC_7931 Jean Philippe.jpg

NCL must make someone happy as they are selling cabins and building more ships.  They have a loyal following.  DW and I are not in that group.

HAL loyalists (but not fanatics) because of what we see as HAL's consistency.  Top Notch Service, clean ships, safe ships, good food (especially buffet) and well developed itineraries.  Happy with HAL even today's version.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

NCL must make someone happy as they are selling cabins and building more ships.  They have a loyal following.  DW and I are not in that group.

HAL loyalists (but not fanatics) because of what we see as HAL's consistency.  Top Notch Service, clean ships, safe ships, good food (especially buffet) and well developed itineraries.  Happy with HAL even today's version.

💯!

This is why I sail HAL also (especially the longer itineraries).

When I'm looking for a bit more energy, I book another line. When I'm looking for a 'chill' cruise to interesting ports, I book HAL. 

• Like 1

I don’t sale and ships with toys on the top unless the itinerary is beyond amazing. Those ships are too busy have too many children too many choices. I like the maturity and class of a Holland ship and its passengers. 

• Like 1