Live from Rotterdam - Northern Transatlantic, Oct 12 - 27, 2025

81Zoomie

@81ZoomieThank you for a very entertaining live thread.  The Rotterdam is our favorite ship.

If possible, I have a favor to ask.  We were on the Rotterdam from August 17-31.  We had every meal (except specialty dining) in Club Orange and were waited on by Wi and his team.  Every evening before dinner, we had a drink, served by Joann in the Half Moon bar.  Unfortunately,  on the 29th, my husband fell and fractured his neck.  Our friends informed our favorite wait staff about his accident and they were devastated.  Now for the favor, if you see them,  could you tell them that Jonathan’s surgery went well; he is now out of his neck brace and will begin physical therapy next week.  Thank you- Tina

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

T

If you like corn beef, the New York deli is very good.  I did not find it till our 4th day onboard in 2023.  

How are they slicing the corned beef? I have had it both sliced both thin and thiick on various cruises. I am partial to thin sliced.

Thanks

• Like 2

DH decided to nap 😴 , which meant it was a perfect opportunity for me to gym it.  Yes, I took the forward stairs to check out the building art!

image.thumb.jpeg.ffd57c4b59da5b10aa34435b08eb5773.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.20b06e4e3dc8e19fda189ea222213ceb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fa199c39072fecb4808b315297d0145c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1d4f9a2760eb8847b54bf2174f014468.jpeg

I thought the best plan might be to grab an upright exercise bike 🚲 and hang on for dear life 🧗🏼‍♀️.  I was so excited to see one vacant.  I ran 🏃‍♀️ and grabbed a wipe to clean it.  That’s when I noticed the ‘out of order sign’, and the ‘out of order’ signs on the 2 adjacent recumbent bikes as well. 😫  There are 5 recumbent and 2 upright bikes on the floor.  3 recumbent and 1 upright were functional. Plan B, the elliptical. That worked out well.  The movement of your arms and legs helps to offset some of the sway and pitch caused by the waves.  Note - The ship is only 3 years old, but there are no video screens on the aerobic machines.  It’s BYO entertainment.  I tried a few free weights, but the motion made that impractical and not worth tweaking a muscle 💪.

image.thumb.jpeg.52e3c3e4ad2a14ea708e03960150d412.jpeg

View from the gym:

image.thumb.jpeg.e7a6859099ee589c2d96e3611f8ffa88.jpeg

For those interested, a pic of the spinning bikes.  The room is locked when not in use.  There are no Peletons on the ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.269cbc2b83cb081d82aa6636a2280937.jpeg

Celebrity offers teeth whitening, acupuncture, and facial fillers for those brave souls so inclined to experiment on vacation 💉🔬🧪.   The footprint analysis has been around a long time.  Let’s throw in “eat more to lose weight”🤣, the perfect cruise 🛳️ pitch!  However, HAL has taken body analysis to a whole new level with tongue 😛 and pulse 〰️ analysis.  Just saying…. really 🙄???

Decisions, decisions, where to enjoy a pre dinner beverage?  The Captain’s reception will be at 6:45 poolside.  I wonder if HAL stacks champagne glasses and then pours from the top?  Has anyone seen this recently?  Perhaps HAL’s new house branded bubbly 🍾🥂🍾 will make an appearance?  Time will tell!

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 7

On Saturday at 10PM the Cruise Critic group is supposed to have a star-gazing party with us all meeting at the Pickleball court in mid ocean.  The cruise staff is suggesting that we would be better off postponing it until closer to the time we are in Bermuda.  It will be clearer the closer we get to Bermuda.  Tomorrow I'll work with the staff to choose a better day.  But for anyone who shows up Saturday night at 10PM, I'll be there to meet you at the Pickleball court. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Day 7 - Evening

We opted to join the Captains reception on Deck 10 so it would be less crowded.  Thankfully the crew had slightly parted the roof 🛖 over the pool to allow the warm moist air to escape and cool it off a bit.  Speaking of the pool, it was a slosh fest.

image.thumb.jpeg.322c8f7aa57a4b125b6fa60d5d770e2d.jpeg

There was a reasonable passenger turnout.  The Captain gave his customary thanks and a toast with his staff.  Champagne 🥂 was provided.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e9bb3a2b68af0ec078274e67d9c588b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d1a0877f73491b9b25368771b81a78e6.jpeg

There was a wide array of passenger attire from tuxedos 🤵‍♂️ and sequins 🪩, stilettos 👠 to flip flops 🩴🩴, and everything in between.  A few passengers took photos with the Captain 👨‍✈️.  

To answer my questions… there was no champagne glass fountain, nor would it have probably survived in the rough seas 🌊🌊🌊.  HAL rarely pours wine out of a bottle 🍾, so it’s not clear what brand they were pouring.

We left after the festivities 🥳 for dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.  It was much quieter than our first visit.  This is most likely due to it being a “fancy” night when the food offerings in main dining are more upscale.  We started the evening by ordering a bottle or wine,  The bottle DH selected was not available and we had the option of choosing between 2 similar selections.  DH chose the Grgich Cab, EXCELLENT choice!  

image.thumb.jpeg.37198039fd7f957aaf05825975216054.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b5c0c7a442af864ec14dffda2790bbbe.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ce12c9a53d6912196b995a80b5c15f8f.jpeg

Tonight DH had the Crab Cakes, tenderloin with lobster dumplings, and baked Alaska.  I had the shrimp cocktail, halibut and chocolate soufflé.  We ordered asparagus, creamed spinach, and mushrooms as sides.  Our waiter brought ice cream as well.  It was all delicious 😋 with very large portions!  

image.thumb.jpeg.1d850fdbef49e69af7ed401ba66fae4a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2ced51e6bd0c150f543374c1c6425588.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9eb31ecbde063465a73a3d8a9a77a6d4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.52d69d198a44af2851517adce1b333cf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8dd7e07d56721bd30b9aa5de2bc6fd2a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.de6808286e18eac82c636693e540a77d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.20fe705518eacb38685a2026f8be1f1a.jpeg

We had a very leisurely dinner, and unfortunately, missed the beginning of the show.  Plan B was The Rolling Stones Rock Room.  We enjoyed the band again.  This evening the dance floor was moving and grooving 💃🕺💃🕺, just like the ship and the band!

image.thumb.jpeg.28a6260966976373186d227131ae1f22.jpeg

When we returned to our room we found 2 coveted items….  a towel animal 🐘, and chocolates 🍬🍬.  I haven’t realized it before this evening, but these were the first pillow chocolates and towel animal we have received in a week of cruising with HAL.

image.thumb.jpeg.09f226a9152e6d38561de7b107fb5207.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.574ffcd15b941ef41133794eb9a868fb.jpeg

We are ready to let the ship gently rock us to sleep 💤.  Good night to all!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Day 8 - At Sea (3)

Good morning from the Azores 🇵🇹!  Yes, we are currently sailing through the islands. It appears we have transitioned to a southern crossing!  It’s  a bit warmer at 72 deg, we have some sun, but it is still very windy with a bit of rocking.  We are hoping to maybe get to use our verandah later today.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0f73174d7f4847ae537d53742c8d883.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ef5b076268c85b683931bde70401dc7f.jpeg

We planned to eat breakfast in Club 🍊.  Planned is the optimum word.  When we arrived at 8:45 the hostess informed us that we were #11 waiting for a table.  Doing the math, that would be quite a wait.  So up we went to the Lido.  Not my favorite on a sea day, but we rolled with it.  DH had an omelet and I planned on French toast.  However, one glance at the French toast made me change my mind.  Looked like only one piece of quasi French toast remaining.  I’ll let you be the 👩‍⚖️.

image.thumb.jpeg.8ca84cdddaaaed7ed93d62097cb1caad.jpeg

I decided that the crepes looked much more appealing 😋😋😋.  So banana caramel crepes for breakfast!

image.thumb.jpeg.32ecf38f77db8460171846ab0aadeb9f.jpeg

Following breakfast DH was very interested in the Honey Sriracha Salmon cooking demonstration.  Off we went to the theater/World Stage.  It was quite well attended with ~75% of the seats taken.  DH was salivating and intends to order it this evening.  Not for me as it is loaded up with my dreaded soy.  It was interesting, and the lobsters on ice were alive!

image.thumb.jpeg.37f493a7d11ca260c2afe8ee97b3bc67.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.773c1872739894d8f0587f01dbab8fa4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a56d8effb250f3ac3516e08713014345.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.47a39ec286ab59c4ff7bd854a80f7296.jpeg

It is now chill time before lunch.  We walked the promenade deck and that was quite sporty!  Wind and sun on one side, wind and sea spray on the other.  There were quite a few people walking and the narrow areas were congested. I am certain everyone is excited about the sun and warmer temps.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b94220ea0fd1b6198a83a0d52b260bb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9253602fa4556905de95f316d68c5488.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Jumping in another time on @81Zoomie very nice blog, thank you for the great write up and photos

as some of you may recall my dining experiences on various HAL ships this year been far less than stellar.    Kudos to this team on the Rotterdam.  I have eaten in MDR, Tamarind, PG (lunch and dinner) and Canaletto.  The service is excellent in all and every single meal I have had in MDR has been served at correct temperature in appropriate timing with absolutely beautiful presentation.  The only disappointment was the Canaletto as they have changed the salad, a dish I always looked forward to.

Also during the coffee talks it was mentioned the PG menu will be changing fleet wide in the next month. 

• Like 6

Just now, Mary229 said:

Jumping in another time on @81Zoomie very nice blog, thank you for the great write up and photos

as some of you may recall my dining experiences on various HAL ships this year been far less than stellar.    Kudos to this team on the Rotterdam.  I have eaten in MDR, Tamarind, PG (lunch and dinner) and Canaletto.  The service is excellent in all and every single meal I have had in MDR has been served at correct temperature in appropriate timing with absolutely beautiful presentation.  The only disappointment was the Canaletto as they have changed the salad, a dish I always looked forward to.

Also during the coffee talks it was mentioned the PG menu will be changing fleet wide in the next month. 

@Mary229, thanks for jumping in.  Appreciate your thoughts!  

• Like 1

Lunch today was Dive In.  I always get a cruise hot dog, regardless of cruise line.  The Dive In, has the BEST FRENCH FRIES AT SEA hands down.  No one we have ever sailed on comes close!

image.thumb.jpeg.eaf9cc04cfb7f014f283333b4ba41d5d.jpeg

That said, we ordered on the app and waited and waited, 30 minutes for our order.  Note: Walk up orders went faster.  Additionally, there was no place to sit and eat on the Lido or Deck 10 poolside.  We ended up eating in the Oceanview.

The sun has come and gone.  We are back in the pea soup with intermittent rain.  Walked to the rear and checked out the Sea View area aft, it is wet and the pool is drained.

image.thumb.jpeg.82506baad243e7e126f35d26210bbf89.jpeg

It was a good afternoon for cards and we eventually found an empty table near the pool.  Cribbage was the game of the day!  We have an awesome lightweight self contained set we have taken on many trips 😀.  Since we are ON VACATION, an adult beverage was in order!

image.thumb.jpeg.ccdd10e819b4c0834be6c3db8ce846e3.jpeg

Winner, winner, chicken 🐓 dinner.  No, it was not me 😢.  DH elected to celebrate with a nap 💤.  I have decided to roam so I don’t make any noise and wake him.  

The pool continues to look like a wave 🌊 pool.  The staff is doing their best to keep the decks dry and non slip.  It’s an endless mission.  Earlier today the roof was cracked and it unexpectedly began to rain in.  People were quite surprised when they got a shower 🚿.

image.thumb.jpeg.a1fefa531061c95a750e1f83e786ccbb.jpeg

I haven’t booked a massage on a cruise in a long time.  I have had some pretty memorable ones at sea, not in a good way.  One time it was so rough a cart rolled back and forth for the entire time in the treatment room.  Once on Princess, the tech pressed so hard my scalp hurt for a week.  Another time I was so coated in oil it took 2 showers to de-slime.  So I am holding my breath for my massage (non refundable OBC) this afternoon.  I am hoping for the best!

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I hope this question is permitted. How do you feel Club Orange compares with your smaller dining room experience on other ships you mentioned. We prefer that over the MDR and have it on the Koningsdam on our next trip. It didn’t work well at all on the ship that offered CO but just in the MDR. Thanks for your insight.

• Like 1

Cruise Critic is rescheduling the star gazing party for Tuesday October 22nd at 10PM at the Pickle ball Court (the night before Bermuda).  There is at best a rare peak between clouds tonight.  Again, for anyone who doesn't get the message, I'll be at the Pickle ball court tonight trying not to get blown off.  Questions, contact Kathy in 6216. 

• Like 1

@81Zoomie curious...when Club Orange is busy at breakfast, why not give the MDR a try vs. the Lido? On our recent cruise we had bkfst in the MDR almost every day and really enjoyed the peace and quiet and having our food brought to us vs. the crazy busy atmosphere in the Lido. Thanks for this Live. We did this cruise last October and also just got home end of Sept. from two weeks aboard the Rotterdam. Love that ship.

Edited by grannyshell
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, grannyshell said:

@81Zoomie curious...when Club Orange is busy at breakfast, why not give the MDR a try vs. the Lido? On our recent cruise we had bkfst in the MDR almost every day and really enjoyed the peace and quiet and having our food brought to us vs. the crazy busy atmosphere in the Lido. Thanks for this Live. We did this cruise last October and also just got home end of Sept. from two weeks aboard the Rotterdam. Love that ship.

We thought about eating in the MDR until we rounded the corner and saw the line there too!  

4 hours ago, Emme1233 said:

I hope this question is permitted. How do you feel Club Orange compares with your smaller dining room experience on other ships you mentioned. We prefer that over the MDR and have it on the Koningsdam on our next trip. It didn’t work well at all on the ship that offered CO but just in the MDR. Thanks for your insight.

@Emme1233 you asked,,, 🤓.  Our most recent experience is with Celebrity.  Their suite dining room is Luminae.  Their Aqua Class dining room is Blu.  Both Luminae and Blu have dedicated wait staff and sommeliers.  Luminae has a different menu than the MDR, with some of MDR options available.  It is enclosed, much larger, much more sophiscated, and service is very attentive.  It is also open for lunch on sea days.  We have made special requests in Luminae such as Cioppino which have been accommodated.  Luminae is a clear winner above Club 🍊.  Blu is also a separate enclosed dining room.  It focuses more on “clean” menu items.  It is chic and has blue and white decor.  It may be a closer comparison.  The other comparison with Celebrity is the Elite and above loyalty breakfast.  It is  a cold/continental/fruit/salmon/deli etc. breakfast in a separate dining room (usually a specialty restaurant).  Specialty coffees, mimosas, and bloody Mary’s are complimentary.  This is a wonderful option we frequent.  The service is great!

It’s all subjective….  I would say that Club 🍊 is a good start for HAL.  It’s more personal than the MDR, but with the same menu +1.  Perhaps it will develop into something a bit more special.  

Maybe others can relate their Princess or MSC experience?

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2024 at 3:11 PM, 0106 said:

@81ZoomieThank you for a very entertaining live thread.  The Rotterdam is our favorite ship.

If possible, I have a favor to ask.  We were on the Rotterdam from August 17-31.  We had every meal (except specialty dining) in Club Orange and were waited on by Wi and his team.  Every evening before dinner, we had a drink, served by Joann in the Half Moon bar.  Unfortunately,  on the 29th, my husband fell and fractured his neck.  Our friends informed our favorite wait staff about his accident and they were devastated.  Now for the favor, if you see them,  could you tell them that Jonathan’s surgery went well; he is now out of his neck brace and will begin physical therapy next week.  Thank you- Tina

@0106, so glad to hear your husband is healing.  We wish him a complete and speedy recovery.  We will look for the staff you mentioned and pass along your message ❤️‍🩹.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 81Zoomie said:

Luminae

1 hour ago, 81Zoomie said:

@Emme1233 you asked,,, 🤓.  Our most recent experience is with Celebrity.  Their suite dining room is Luminae.  Their Aqua Class dining room is Blu.  Both Luminae and Blu have dedicated wait staff and sommeliers.  Luminae has a different menu than the MDR, with some of MDR options available.  It is enclosed, much larger, much more sophiscated, and service is very attentive.  It is also open for lunch on sea days.  We have made special requests in Luminae such as Cioppino which have been accommodated.  Luminae is a clear winner above Club 🍊.  Blu is also a separate enclosed dining room.  It focuses more on “clean” menu items.  It is chic and has blue and white decor.  It may be a closer comparison.  The other comparison with Celebrity is the Elite and above loyalty breakfast.  It is  a cold/continental/fruit/salmon/deli etc. breakfast in a separate dining room (usually a specialty restaurant).  Specialty coffees, mimosas, and bloody Mary’s are complimentary.  This is a wonderful option we frequent.  The service is great!

It’s all subjective….  I would say that Club 🍊 is a good start for HAL.  It’s more personal than the MDR, but with the same menu +1.  Perhaps it will develop into something a bit more special.  

Maybe others can relate their Princess or MSC experience?

We have eaten in Lumanie many times, and always thought it was very pleasant. HAL really needs to work on their suite experience. However we are giving them one more try this next trip and we do have CO. Thank you.

I survived my massage.  It was not the best, but not the worst.  A couple of things to note 📝.  One, the form you fill out listing your stress level (on a cruise 🤪), medical conditions, medication 💊, etc.  The very next form talks about how the spa company can share your information.  At the bottom of that form it said if you have an issue it will be resolved base on the European country where you reside.  The whole thing left me feeling very uncomfortable.  Needless to say, I did not share anything I did not want in a mystery information system.  At the conclusion of my massage the spa lady told me my shoulders are tight because “my lymphatic system is clogged” and she would “prescribe something to fix that” 😮🙄😮.  I passed.  Nothing a foam roller and a little more stretching can’t remedy.  For reference, my 75 min massage cost $211 including the automatic 18% gratuity.  Yes, the masseuse did point out the tip line “if you would like to leave a tip” when I signed the slip.

I returned a bit late from my spa visit and needed a shower.  We decided to forget cocktails and go right to dinner.  It was busy in Club 🍊, but we were seated upon arrival.

image.thumb.jpeg.d85bf8897cc08ff9a0b5d330488956f1.jpeg

DH had the salmon spinach cake and the honey sriracha salmon.  I had the quinoa pomegranate salad and the shrimp.  Both were excellent.  Dessert was the ice cream Sunday.

image.thumb.jpeg.c06130b13d3695184ebbb98fbefd20c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5406f377960cdbb043c2fb5d10dab852.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8279166aa8b74ef6b31aca4a4da15996.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cbb48e22e96afd7949ae2626aeb57d9a.jpeg

Timing didn’t work out for the production show.  We pivoted and enjoyed the piano player in Billboard.  She was taking requests.  It was standing room only.  

image.thumb.jpeg.38d3744cbdabb69f87357e4a8a315c2b.jpeg

When the set in Billboard ended we walked across to Rolling Stones.  The band was setting up and we enjoyed another set of lively music.  The audience was a bit more reserved than the previous evening.  Guess we are all tired from doing nothing 🤓.  

It’s time to turn the clocks back another hour  🎶 Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care…🎶

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2