Don't get too attached to the cabin you selected!

A year ago I signed up for Club Orange and selected V5050 on the Rotterdam. It's an April 2025 cruise. That cabin has a double wide balcony and has a window in addition to the sliding glass door. That cabin is not a triple or a quad. HAL just notified my TA that I was being re-assigned to another V cabin, it was for "operational reasons" and I couldn't have V5050 back. 

I contacted the Office of the President. This was the response. 

"We truly regret that you were dissatisfied with the stateroom we assigned you on board. We make every effort to accommodate our guests’ wishes and needs, and we do reserve the right to reassign guests as needed due to operational reasons. While we can certainly understand your disappointment, we are unable to reassign this stateroom to you and hope you can understand that guests are moved as a last resort.  We hope that the above information is helpful, and we do apologize for your dissatisfaction."

And no, they wouldn't clarify what the operational reasons were. The cynic in me thinks that some VIP really wanted that cabin - and there you go. 

Final payment on this cruise isn't until the end of this year. In the meantime I will decide if I am sufficiently irritated about how HAL treats it's 4* Mariners to cancel the cruise. Just be forewarned. I do hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Wow, I’ve heard they’ve moved 2 people that were in a cabin that could have 3 or 4 in it, but not like what’s happened to you.  That is not reassuring at all.  The response you got is also not impressive either.  

I certainty would not be happy at all. Operational reasons is not a satisfactory answer either for this situation in my opinion. 

• Like 10

Could be worse. Peruse the NCL board for the ongoing saga of itineraries being changed immediately after final payment is made when it isn't possible to get a full refund. Loads of angst there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope you were allowed to choose the cabin you were being reassigned to or at least approve their choice.  People who choose their cabin usually pay more for their cabin for a good reason.

I became so concerned about losing my 4 person occupancy room I had booked for two of us in November that I just went ahead and cancelled before final payment.  For me the cabin was more important than the itinerary.  I don’t understand why you would be bumped from a 2 person stateroom and HAL gave no reason. 🤔☹️

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

A year ago I signed up for Club Orange and selected V5050 on the Rotterdam. It's an April 2025 cruise. That cabin has a double wide balcony and has a window in addition to the sliding glass door. That cabin is not a triple or a quad. HAL just notified my TA that I was being re-assigned to another V cabin, it was for "operational reasons" and I couldn't have V5050 back. 

I contacted the Office of the President. This was the response. 

"We truly regret that you were dissatisfied with the stateroom we assigned you on board. We make every effort to accommodate our guests’ wishes and needs, and we do reserve the right to reassign guests as needed due to operational reasons. While we can certainly understand your disappointment, we are unable to reassign this stateroom to you and hope you can understand that guests are moved as a last resort.  We hope that the above information is helpful, and we do apologize for your dissatisfaction."

And no, they wouldn't clarify what the operational reasons were. The cynic in me thinks that some VIP really wanted that cabin - and there you go. 

Final payment on this cruise isn't until the end of this year. In the meantime I will decide if I am sufficiently irritated about how HAL treats it's 4* Mariners to cancel the cruise. Just be forewarned. I do hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. 

Did you ask since this was obviously not due to any fault of yours and being a 4* mariner is there any chance you could be upgraded?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I hope you were allowed to choose the cabin you were being reassigned to or at least approve their choice.  People who choose their cabin usually pay more for their cabin for a good reason.

I became so concerned about losing my 4 person occupancy room I had booked for two of us in November that I just went ahead and cancelled before final payment.  For me the cabin was more important than the itinerary.  I don’t understand why you would be bumped from a 2 person stateroom and HAL gave no reason. 🤔☹️

I didn't like the cabin they first assigned me but was able to change to one that was acceptable. I would never have chosen it initially when booking, but after a year a lot of the good ones are already booked.

• Like 4

That's just so wrong! And what "operational reason" do they know about so far in advance, yet it can't be fixed in 6 months? I can understand a last-minute move if there's a sudden problem with the cabin, like no water.

The only thing I can think of to justify this move (sort of) is that they plan to put in a sofa bed to make it a triple. 

• Like 5

So on the very first cruise I ever booked with HAL (Koningsdam), I selected VB4154 or 4156, one of the cabins with the giant balconies.  Was told later that I couldn't have it (supposedly because it was used as Covid rooms).  I was reassigned to another Verandah, absolutely refused it, and told them to cancel.  They offered me a Vista Suite 5127, which I accepted.  Personally, I wouldn't accept anything but an upgrade.  Tell them you want a Vista Suite for your troubles or tell HAL to shove it.

Edited by srsurman
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Asking for an upgrade is a good suggestion. I was on a cruise when I heard about the change - and talked it over with some of my fellow passengers. That was one of the suggestions. Another that I found interesting is to go by that cabin if I take the cruise, knock on the door and introduce myself - with the preface - hey, are you enjoying my cabin?🤣

I reread tae last email. In part it says: "

While it’s always difficult for us to hear about the disappointments our travelers may encounter, the Guest Relations Department was created to listen to our guests’ comments, both positive and negative, so we may continue to evolve with guest satisfaction in mind.

While we can understand your disappointment, as stated previously, the stateroom change was made for operational reasons. Stateroom V5053 is no longer affiliated with your voyage. We are unable to assist with your request."

So that cabin has been removed from the ship?  Moved to another Pinnacle class ship?  What does "...no longer affiliated with your voyage" mean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

14 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

"While we can understand your disappointment, as stated previously, the stateroom change was made for operational reasons. Stateroom V5053 is no longer affiliated with your voyage. We are unable to assist with your request."

So that cabin has been removed from the ship?  Moved to another Pinnacle class ship?  What does "...no longer affiliated with your voyage" mean?

Probably along the lines of "you're not going to be sleeping there, so it's none of your beeswax." Or perhaps simply "no longer assigned to you".

53 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

Asking for an upgrade is a good suggestion. I was on a cruise when I heard about the change - and talked it over with some of my fellow passengers. That was one of the suggestions. Another that I found interesting is to go by that cabin if I take the cruise, knock on the door and introduce myself - with the preface - hey, are you enjoying my cabin?🤣

I reread tae last email. In part it says: "

While it’s always difficult for us to hear about the disappointments our travelers may encounter, the Guest Relations Department was created to listen to our guests’ comments, both positive and negative, so we may continue to evolve with guest satisfaction in mind.

While we can understand your disappointment, as stated previously, the stateroom change was made for operational reasons. Stateroom V5053 is no longer affiliated with your voyage. We are unable to assist with your request."

Converting it to a storage locker? Converting it to an art studio because of the good light for painting?  

Windsailer,

In your first post you stated that you picked V5050.  Yet, your post (#11) states V5053 is not available. Since you picked V5050 why are they referring to V5053?  This is especially interesting to me as I am on the Rotterdam from Nov 17 to Dec 8 this year in V5050.  At least that is what I requested and that is what shows on the information I have received from HAL.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sherry H said:

Windsailer,

In your first post you stated that you picked V5050.  Yet, your post (#11) states V5053 is not available. Since you picked V5050 why are they referring to V5053?

Thanks for asking - I was just drafting that same question to @Windsailer.

@Sherry H I hope you get your cabin.

I am sorry. I misspoke.  I booked V5053. Two days after HAL released the cruise.  It's exactly the same as V5050. I have been wanting to stay in one of those cabins for a long time. Guess it's not meant to be. 

Edited by Windsailer
  • Like 1

I booked V5050 when I was on my Jan. 2024 cruise.  The cruise consultant helped me choose it as it would be easier for my husband to navigate with his walker.  I had a look at V5050 while I was still on the ship (Kongingsdam) and loved it!  Have also booked it for Jan. 2025.  I'm going to be very disappointed if I don't get it.  I am also 4 star and purchased CO.  I would certainly pursue an upgrade if they try to move me. 

• Like 1

A similar situation recently happened to us. We were on the Volendam in August with 2 other couples. We all decided to book an August 2026 cruise on the Nieuw Statendam while onboard. We booked three cabins in a row with VH category Club Orange and upgraded to VA category verandah cabins 6068, 6070 and 6072, which we got confirmations for. This was our preferred location midship on deck 6 and why we booked so early. Two weeks after we got home we found out we had been reassigned to 6068, 6070 and 6074 which were not in a row. I had my TA find out why and she was told cabin 6072 was needed for a booking that included a B2B cruise after ours, which shouldn't have happened since we booked our bookings first.  At the time there were not any 3 cabins in a row available on deck 6 in the VA category. The only available 3 cabins in a row were on deck 5 in a V Category midship, which after threatening to cancel all 3 bookings HAL grudgingly moved us to. This whole ordeal left a sour taste in my mouth for HAL. After over 20 cruises on several cruise lines, this is the first time we got moved after booking and without our permission.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I am sorry that they did that to you. It is obvious that this is a coveted room and booking it way in advance should give you some expectation of keeping it. I would cancel unless they offer to upgrade you substantially. I know that I would be upset if this happened to me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Could also be a leak or some problem with the cabin so they had to take it out of service.

For six months???? They know there are "operational issues" now but OP isn't sailing until April.

11 hours ago, VermeulT said:

or a VIP will be onboard that they wanted to give that room...

Sadly, that's more likely.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For six months???? They know there are "operational issues" now but OP isn't sailing until April.

Sadly, that's more likely.

The excuse of "Operational Issues" is a generic reply HAL uses to explain many booking issues. In my case, as I explained in my post #22 above, that was the first response we got for moving our booked cabin that I forgot to mention. I called BS and demanded a real reason from HAL, that was when my TA found out it involved a booking on a B2B cruise. Someone who had booked cabin 5072 on another leg of the B2B cruise wanted it when they must have added our cruise segment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1