Did you get your refund from a recent cruise?

I returned from a cruise on the Nieuw Statendam on October 5 and I had a refundable balance of several hundred dollars.  I expected to see the refund on my credit card in a couple of days, but that didn't happen.  HAL has always been very prompt in processing refunds on all of our previous cruises.  I called today to check on my refund and I was told there was a problem in processing many of the refunds.  I was told that HAL recently changed the company processing the refunds and many of the refunds weren't processed.  The recovery plan seems to be that HAL will send out checks instead of resubmitting the refunds to the credit card.  I was told that my refund had not been submitted to get a check and the representative said he would send an email requesting immediate processing.  We'll see if this helps.  I'll check again next week if I don't get any updates.

If you are missing a recent refund, you may need to call check the status.

You can cash out the night before, or even early morning of, disembarkation. We had no issues getting $525 returned very recently when we got off the Eurodam. Deposited it on the way home, so it was in our account same day we disembarked.

I would much prefer that to waiting several weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

You can cash out the night before, or even early morning of, disembarkation. We had no issues getting $525 returned very recently when we got off the Eurodam. Deposited it on the way home, so it was in our account same day we disembarked.

I would much prefer that to waiting several weeks.

Good to know for next time.  Previous refunds had always been credited with a couple of days.  Not much help for my current situation or others in the same situation.

Edited by bigbeergut
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

Good to know for next time.  Previous refunds had always been credited with a couple of days.  Not much help for my current situation or others in the same situation.

I understand. I have also previously received refunds very quickly, but after reading that people were waiting on checks, we decided to cash out this cruise. Now I'm glad we did. We've done that before, but not routinely; I think it may be our new norm.

Sorry you're waiting.

We had about $120 in refundable OBC related to port fees/ taxes on a 14 day Alaskan cruise.  I went down on the last full day of the trip and asked for a cash refund as we had another 12 days of the trip.  They gave us an immediate refund.

• Like 2

I got off the Volendam on Aug 20 and got a check for a refund of my refundable OBC on Oct 4th.  Today I got an email from HAL explaining the delay - below is their email.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your sailing on ms Volendam. We appreciate your patience regarding your onboard settlement reimbursement. We do sincerely apologize for the delay in response and resolution. 
  
At Holland America Line, the security and privacy of our guests and employees are of the utmost importance. We are committed to protecting personal data and continuously seek innovative ways to enhance our financial safeguards. Recently, we partnered with a new software vendor for onboard financial transactions. Due to this change, automatic billing refunds cannot be processed if no original charges were assessed to the registered card. Instead, our shoreside accounting team manages these refunds individually. 
  
While we anticipated minimal impact for our Guests, unforeseen factors have caused significant delays during this fleetwide initiative. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, as we understand this is not the level of service you expect from us. 
  
As a result of this change, our accounting department has manually processed your onboard account refund by check. Please know, this check will be mailed to the address we have on file, as noted above, and will be issued by third-party vendor, Paymode X or bottom-Line Technology. Please know if you have not already received and cashed your check that we show it is on its way. 

We sincerely apologize for any disappointment and frustration this delay may have caused and can assure you we are working to provide your refund as soon as possible. We thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we work through this process. 
  

Sincerely,

Hailey Amaranthine
Special Advisor
Office of the President
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Due to this change, automatic billing refunds cannot be processed if no original charges were assessed to the registered card. Instead, our shoreside accounting team manages these refunds individually. 

I'm having trouble understanding this scenario. Does it refer to when you originally book the cruise or precruise dinners or excursions? Does it just refer to onboard purchases?

Isn't there a certain small amount automatically charged to passengers' cards on every cruise to make sure the card is viable?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

automatic billing refunds cannot be processed if no original charges were assessed to the registered card.

Then this will be a continuing problem for them, as if you are due a refund, then no original charges will have been assessed to the card.

Unless they rewrite the software.....and we know what happens then 😱

• Like 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

Then this will be a continuing problem for them, as if you are due a refund, then no original charges will have been assessed to the card.

Unless they rewrite the software.....and we know what happens then 😱

Then everyone gets a refund!!🤞

• Haha 1

Thanks for posting that letter, @iflyrc5.

All I can say is… wow.  I knew that HAL struggled with successful implementation of technology, but I see they also struggle with internal processes and poor communication from the top on down.  Yikes.

Edited by *Miss G*
Grammar
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I'm having trouble understanding this scenario. Does it refer to when you originally book the cruise or precruise dinners or excursions? Does it just refer to onboard purchases?

Isn't there a certain small amount automatically charged to passengers' cards on every cruise to make sure the card is viable?

We are 5 star so we get 2 free dinners at the upcharge restaurants.  I book those before boarding to get the dates and times we want and must put them on my credit card.  Once I am on the ship and have our meal the charges are moved to my free 5 star dinners and what I have paid on my credit card is put on my onboard account as reimbursable on-board credit.  If I do not use any of this for purchases once on board it is then normally reimbursed to my credit card within a day of two of returning home.  This time it was 6 weeks and came by check.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

We are 5 star so we get 2 free dinners at the upcharge restaurants.  I book those before boarding to get the dates and times we want and must put them on my credit card.  Once I am on the ship and have our meal the charges are moved to my free 5 star dinners and what I have paid on my credit card is put on my onboard account as reimbursable on-board credit.  If I do not use any of this for purchases once on board it is then normally reimbursed to my credit card within a day of two of returning home.  This time it was 6 weeks and came by check.

I am sure there are many customers who do not prebook or prepay for anything (except using HIA) and wait until onboard to use OBC etc.  (Me for one!)

I understand that we are discussing Refundable credit and that will limit the extent of the liability, however on my last 3 cruises I was due a refund for various reasons (usually pre payment of Crew Appreciation which was covered by OBC).  I would be very unhappy if I could not get a cash refund on board, as exchange rates etc would decimate the cheque payment.

Just something to add to the 'list of things to do' on the last few days of the cruise!

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

That’s a hold, not a charge.  I think the letter refers only to the onboard account, nothing prebooked and paid before embarkation.

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

I got off the Volendam on Aug 20 and got a check for a refund of my refundable OBC on Oct 4th.  Today I got an email from HAL explaining the delay - below is their email.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your sailing on ms Volendam. We appreciate your patience regarding your onboard settlement reimbursement. We do sincerely apologize for the delay in response and resolution. 
  
At Holland America Line, the security and privacy of our guests and employees are of the utmost importance. We are committed to protecting personal data and continuously seek innovative ways to enhance our financial safeguards. Recently, we partnered with a new software vendor for onboard financial transactions. Due to this change, automatic billing refunds cannot be processed if no original charges were assessed to the registered card. Instead, our shoreside accounting team manages these refunds individually. 
  
While we anticipated minimal impact for our Guests, unforeseen factors have caused significant delays during this fleetwide initiative. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, as we understand this is not the level of service you expect from us. 
  
As a result of this change, our accounting department has manually processed your onboard account refund by check. Please know, this check will be mailed to the address we have on file, as noted above, and will be issued by third-party vendor, Paymode X or bottom-Line Technology. Please know if you have not already received and cashed your check that we show it is on its way. 

We sincerely apologize for any disappointment and frustration this delay may have caused and can assure you we are working to provide your refund as soon as possible. We thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we work through this process. 
  

Sincerely,

Hailey Amaranthine
Special Advisor
Office of the President

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  It unbelievable that HAL and the software vendor roll out this new software to the entire fleet without testing it.  If they would have tested it on just one sailing on one ship, they would have seen the problem.   Whoever is in charge of this software roll out should be fired.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  It unbelievable that HAL and the software vendor roll out this new software to the entire fleet without testing it.  If they would have tested it on just one sailing on one ship, they would have seen the problem.   Whoever is in charge of this software roll out should be fired.

It goes even further back from that. It was missed during the investigation process in the “what if/what happens/how does it handle” scenarios. Kind of makes you wonder if they involved the people who do the actual work.

Solidifies my decision to continue to Cash Out rather than accept a CC credit on future cruises. This last cruise (needed Oct 5) I gave them a card onboard and had no issues cashing out.

Interestingly, 2 new bookings do not give an option of selecting cash during check-in, must register a card, even though the blurb for cash deposits is still there. Now I think it must have something to do with this new change. 

7 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

  
  
  

  

Sincerely,

Hailey Amaranthine
Special Advisor
Office of the President

Just to make sure I read this right. TWO WEEKS after you got the check, they emailed you to say the check was on its way?

Does anyone at HAL have a clue about what is going on??????

15 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Just to make sure I read this right. TWO WEEKS after you got the check, they emailed you to say the check was on its way?

Does anyone at HAL have a clue about what is going on??????

In mid-September I email guest services about the delayed reimbursement, then finally got the check on Oct 4 - then a couple weeks later got the email response.