Live From – Crown Princess 26 Oct Round Australia Cruise

Ozwoody

2 minutes ago, Uniqueguy4 said:

Thank you very much OZWOODY we will be watching your posts with great interest as we will be traveling for the very first time on the Crown or any princess ship at all in December. Also as an (off chance) would anyone know if there is a power outlet beside the bed in cabin C301 an accessible cabin as we have to bring two life saving machines with us and one only has a lead of about 5 feet. I have rung Princess Australia and was connected to an extremely nice lady living in South Africa, and unfortunately knew very little at all.  

cheers, Glenys & Alan

Hi @Uniqueguy4 If no one can answer your question, I will see if I can speak to the occupant's and find out from them.

Regards 

John

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

must remember to replenish my stock of masking tape to cover those blasted night light sensors. They are appalling, especially the one justb outside the bathroom door

I have to disagree. I have limited mobility and not so steady on my feet. I am always aware of the risk of having a fall on a ship which is moving about. So I really appreciate the sensor lights near the bathroom door. It would be easy to forget there is a step up to get into the bathroom. I haven't had any trouble with the sensors turning the lights on randomly, and they are not bright enough to affect my night vision. So I'm pleased that they are installed on ships.

On land, I always bring both a small torch and a plug-in night light for nocturnal trips to my hotel bathroom.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, arxcards said:

Penny just dropped. I saved a heap of money by switching from a MD cabin to a MF guarantee during last years Black Friday sale. Heck, they are mostly identical cabins on deck 9 so how bad can it be, right. Our Diamond mini hasn't been allocated yet, so positive thoughts, positive thoughts!

Originally I had booked a ME cabin on deck 8 aft when you could still select certain ME cabins.  However like you when the Black Friday sales came on I saved around $1600 by rebooking but it was gty.  Thought the odds were ok but ended up with a cabin on deck 9 (no cover) and only 3 from the front of ship.  Exactly where I didn't want it.  Boy did I get a lot of steps in going to the buffet.  Them's the breaks.  At least it was quiet with no engine noise or noise from Club Fusion!!!

36 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I have to disagree. I have limited mobility and not so steady on my feet. I am always aware of the risk of having a fall on a ship which is moving about. So I really appreciate the sensor lights near the bathroom door. It would be easy to forget there is a step up to get into the bathroom. I haven't had any trouble with the sensors turning the lights on randomly, and they are not bright enough to affect my night vision. So I'm pleased that they are installed on ships.

On land, I always bring both a small torch and a plug-in night light for nocturnal trips to my hotel bathroom.

Fair enough, I do realise that some people need or prefer to have night lights but they should have the option of turning them off. 

By your signature it appears you haven't cruised on Princess recently, ie since they installed the exceptionally bright night light outside the bathroom doors. This light is at least twice as bright as the normal lights in that area and because it reflects off the metal sill of the bathroom door can give a false sense of the height of the sill. I nearly broke my toe in the sill the first time I encountered one of these lights so be careful.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

You mention you will be in Brisbane prior to the cruise, are you boarding here or Sydney?

Regards

John

@Ozwoody  We are boarding in Brisbane having previously enjoyed 3 days in Sydney in 2009 before sailing 30 great days to LA. Besides having the opportunity to experience some of your city, when we booked on the first day prices from Brisbane were 1/3 cheaper although with more limited cabin availability.

When ending in Brisbane we weren’t comfortable with the flight availability to Auckland to cruise Royal Princess 22-days back to LA…a much more comfortable way to go than on any flight. ☺️ So we’re spending another night at Royal on the Park & flying the next morning to AKL before boarding the ship the next day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

@Ozwoody  We are boarding in Brisbane having previously enjoyed 3 days in Sydney in 2009 before sailing 30 great days to LA. Besides having the opportunity to experience some of your city, when we booked on the first day prices from Brisbane were 1/3 cheaper although with more limited cabin availability.

When ending in Brisbane we weren’t comfortable with the flight availability to Auckland to cruise Royal Princess 22-days back to LA…a much more comfortable way to go than on any flight. ☺️ So we’re spending another night at Royal on the Park & flying the next morning to AKL before boarding the ship the next day.

Oh yes definitely cruise back any time in preference to flying.🤣

I'm not a happy flyer, I'm not as bad as my wife makes out, but not my favourite means of travel.🥴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

Excited to follow this thread in anticipation of my Round Australia cruise on Crown next March. Especially interested in learning about any excursions you undertake, both Princess and non. 

But why isn’t this thread on the main Princess board? I never would have seen it except a member on my RC mentioned it. 

Have a fabulous trip!

It is also on the "Live" Board, linked there by the admins so that anyone interested in following active cruises would see it. Glad you were given the tip. I agree with Julie's comments. Aussie content and relevance gets somewhat lost on the Sun Princess board.

This is exciting for us, as this will be the first Aussie based Crown Princess cruise, and she will be relevant to the forum as she will be our locally based ship for the next two years.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

That is easy then - no masking tape for you. No probs if I am going to the bathroom, as I am already awake. Much different when the light wakes you each time your partner goes to the bathroom.

I get the need for them, but unlike all the other cabin lights, you don't have the luxury of turning them off if you don't want them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Originally I had booked a ME cabin on deck 8 aft when you could still select certain ME cabins.  However like you when the Black Friday sales came on I saved around $1600 by rebooking but it was gty.  Thought the odds were ok but ended up with a cabin on deck 9 (no cover) and only 3 from the front of ship.  Exactly where I didn't want it.  Boy did I get a lot of steps in going to the buffet.  Them's the breaks.  At least it was quiet with no engine noise or noise from Club Fusion!!!

I think the worst spot for any of those minis is to be aft, starboard above the ashtrays. We had handpicked an aftish port cabin on deck 9, handy to the aft lifts. We saved a shipload by switching to a Black Friday guarantee too, but it is so much nicer to have control.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

A torch is a permanent packed item regardless if the holiday is land or sea. Always handy to have.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I think the worst spot for any of those minis is to be aft, starboard above the ashtrays. We had handpicked an aftish port cabin on deck 9, handy to the aft lifts. We saved a shipload by switching to a Black Friday guarantee too, but it is so much nicer to have control.

Geoff what deck are you referring to?. I have an aft deck 8. I had similar on Royal with no issues, but before I pay I certainly don’t want one near ash trays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Geoff what deck are you referring to?. I have an aft deck 8. I had similar on Royal with no issues, but before I pay I certainly don’t want one near ash trays.

For Crown, Diamond etc, the all-hours promenade ashtrays are on the starboard side just outside from the doors at the aft lift lobby. If you have an aft facing vista suite, Port side is better than starboard but both should be OK. If you have a side facing mini suite, The even numbered Port ones are fine. E721 would be at the bottom of my preferred list, then gradually improving as you head further aft.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For Crown, Diamond etc, the all-hours promenade ashtrays are on the starboard side just outside from the doors at the aft lift lobby. If you have an aft facing vista suite, Port side is better than starboard but both should be OK. If you have a side facing mini suite, The even numbered Port ones are fine. E721 would be at the bottom of my preferred list, then gradually improving as you head further aft.

What about e726? We have a B2B2B on Crown. Need to know it is ok before final payment. We had the aft facing vista on Royal and all was good. No noise at all either.

Just now, resordanis said:

What about e726? We have a B2B2B on Crown. Need to know it is ok before final payment. We had the aft facing vista on Royal and all was good. No noise at all either.

No probs - it is on the opposite side to the ship. The promenade deck ashtrays are on starboard, you are on port.

• Like 1

OZWOODY, how neat is that John, I didn't expect anything like that, we would be soooooo grateful if you could do that for us....we booked this cruise just over 2 years ago but didn't expect to be going on it, because Glenys was told she wasn't expected to live that long with incurable lung cancer but, a miracle happened and 3 months ago with the treatment she has been given, plus TBD oil, and a unbelievable ( i'm gunna beat this thing attitude) and heaps of prayers  she was told she is clear of that cancer, its now a celebration cruise...we have sooo much to be grateful for

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Uniqueguy4 said:

OZWOODY, how neat is that John, I didn't expect anything like that, we would be soooooo grateful if you could do that for us....we booked this cruise just over 2 years ago but didn't expect to be going on it, because Glenys was told she wasn't expected to live that long with incurable lung cancer but, a miracle happened and 3 months ago with the treatment she has been given, plus TBD oil, and a unbelievable ( i'm gunna beat this thing attitude) and heaps of prayers  she was told she is clear of that cancer, its now a celebration cruise...we have sooo much to be grateful for

Best post ever!! That is great news and I hope you have a lovely cruise!

Re the cabin, C deck (Caribe) have the best largest balconies, half covered/half open.

Have a look on cruisedeckplans and there are lots of photos of your exact cabin, although I am not sure how many are available if you are not a paid member.

Your cabin is large with a beautiful balcony in a good midship/forward location.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Uniqueguy4 said:

So pleased with your good news.

Only to pleased to help.

Regards

John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We stayed at Royal on the Park a couple of years ago. Although an older hotel the room was very comfortable with a great bathroom.

The restaurant was superb - modern Australian/Asian cuisine. 

It's an easy walk into the main shopping area from there, and the Botanical Gardens are just across the road and through them you reach the river walk. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We stayed at Royal on the Park a couple of years ago. Although an older hotel the room was very comfortable with a great bathroom.

The restaurant was superb - modern Australian/Asian cuisine. 

It's an easy walk into the main shopping area from there, and the Botanical Gardens are just across the road and through them you reach the river walk. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences & insights.

18 hours ago, arxcards said:

That is easy then - no masking tape for you. No probs if I am going to the bathroom, as I am already awake. Much different when the light wakes you each time your partner goes to the bathroom.

I get the need for them, but unlike all the other cabin lights, you don't have the luxury of turning them off if you don't want them. 

Getting exposed to light as bright as those night lights, even if you are already awake, can mean you end up staying awake instead of getting back to sleep quickly. I've been on other cruise lines that have night lights but they are very low powered lights. The Princess ones are ridiculous, they are far too bright to be night lights. 

• Like 4

On 10/21/2024 at 10:05 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

But on some cruises you have to pack warm weather clothes and cold weather clothes. Layering works for some things but I can't wear jeans in hot weather so need alternatives. Anyway I got it pretty right on the world cruise, everything I took got worn except my fleece - I was sick during the Iceland stops so didn't go ashore there.

You do too especially on a WC, you need to basically pack your wardrobe.  Not only do you need winter/summer/tween weather clothing with matching jackets/cardis but you need something to wear of an evening and that can't be the same thing twice in a week, then you need shoes to match everything and bags to match shoes.  A couple of strands of pearls are OK but OMG, the earrings need their own bag as each top needs matching earrings. Then there's the undies and bathers and hats and coverups.  I could go on and on and on but in the end I've just gotta say, thank goodness for packing cubes aka suitcases and porters.  

• Haha 3

ahh guys, 😆between lights & packing your making cruising sound like hard work.🤣

But it's fun isn't it, finding out all these things, and then working out how to counter them, for our own unique needs.

Its a long time since I had to fly to board a ship. Our port is only a 20min drive from our place, and the only trouble with packing was deciding what to leave behind.😁

Now I'm thinking, "Do I Really, Really, Really need this or that.

It's progressing.......

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

You do too especially on a WC, you need to basically pack your wardrobe.  Not only do you need winter/summer/tween weather clothing with matching jackets/cardis but you need something to wear of an evening and that can't be the same thing twice in a week, then you need shoes to match everything and bags to match shoes.  A couple of strands of pearls are OK but OMG, the earrings need their own bag as each top needs matching earrings. Then there's the undies and bathers and hats and coverups.  I could go on and on and on but in the end I've just gotta say, thank goodness for packing cubes aka suitcases and porters.  

We managed with seven bags of various sizes, two boxes of consumables, our regular carry-ons and two backpacks with our meds in them.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We managed with seven bags of various sizes, two boxes of consumables, our regular carry-ons and two backpacks with our meds in them.

That's two more than we managed on our WC.

I don't feel so bad now.🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

ahh guys, 😆between lights & packing your making cruising sound like hard work.🤣

But it's fun isn't it, finding out all these things, and then working out how to counter them, for our own unique needs.

Its a long time since I had to fly to board a ship. Our port is only a 20min drive from our place, and the only trouble with packing was deciding what to leave behind.😁

Now I'm thinking, "Do I Really, Really, Really need this or that.

It's progressing.......

Throw it all on the bed. Pack half the clothes, take twice the money.

• Haha 3