Insurance??? Pre existing conditions???

martyap

Really need advice!

Booked a 14 day Med cruise months ago. Added a few days pre and post cruise on our own in both Istanbul and Barcelona. Both in our 50's and in general good health. We know we need trip insurance, primarily for medical and medical evacuation. Used FF miles so we are insuring only the cost of the cruise.

Since we did not secure trip insurance when the initial deposit was made on the cruise, companies like Travelex and Travel Guard have pre-existing conditions ranging from 90 to 180 days.

Our departure date is 10/24 so we are within that time frame. What exactly does the pre-existing mean?

Should we purchase one of these policies now?

Another company, CSA, was suggested because they waive pre-existing medical as long as you purchase the insurance before you make your final trip payment.

:confused: Really confused........please HELP!!!!

Marty

Generally, pre-existing means a condition that you saw a physician for, took prescribed drugs for or sought consultation for in XXX number of months before you had to cancel your trip. XXX number of months could 3 or 6 months (90 or 180 days) etc., depending on the policy. You have to secure the insurance before you make final payment to have pre-ex waived, after that, pre-ex applies the thought is that you are only buying it because you need it. We are in good health as well, but will be taking it for our Med cruise this summer. We got burned in February - dh had to have an emergency procedure and we missed our trip and lost because we didn't take the insurance. Even if you are in good health, you never know what emergency could come up.

On many policies, that "pre-existing" clause also covers your family members. If you have a parent that suffers from a heart condition, and something happens to them making you miss your cruise, without the "pre-existing" clause you lose.

That is why we book our insurance within 7 days of booking a cruise. i have diabetes-so MANY things could happen to be that would be diabetes related and hense may be considered "pre-existing"

I am surprised you found a company that allows you to book 90 days after booking a cruise-I always thought it was 9-15 days for the differant companies.

I would if I were you-if you know you have diabetes or a heart condition or even cancer-go for the insurance that would cover you-in case something like that happened to you. Even if you pay more-you will have peace of mind.

Pre-existing generally does not mean a condition that is controlled by medication, such as diabetes or high blood pressure UNLESS you have had a change in the condition and/or medication within the prescribed time.

We are both in good health and don't purchase our insurance until after we make the final payment. Pre-existing is an illness that you have before you book the trip. I don't know if it includes anyone else that is not travelling, you would have to ask the insurance company that question. I just don't want to give any insurance company any money until it's absolutely necessary.

However. depending on your age, you may want to get it ahead of your next birthday, if you are having a birthday between now and your final payment. Go to www.insuremytrip.com and get quotes both ways to see if it makes any difference.

Pre-existing generally does not mean a condition that is controlled by medication, such as diabetes or high blood pressure UNLESS you have had a change in the condition and/or medication within the prescribed time.

Well I still will not take any chances-this last cruise we booked the Travelguard was $120. We put down $500 for the cruise-the rest is due in June. If we can afford $500, we can also afford $120 and I would rather be safe then sorry.

I would hate to be evacated off a cruisehsip in a helicopter-have a $60,000 bill and then find out because I have had diabetes for 14 years the insurance would not cover it.

"We are both in good health....". How do you know that? My "healthy" sister developed a blood clot in her leg that turned into a pulmonary embolism. My "healthy" aunt dropped to the floor from a brain anurysm. Well, you get the picture. I'm not here to lecture (well, maybe I am :D), but I constantly see posts from people who don't purchase travel insurance because they're supposedly healthy.

Roz

I'd get the insurance. My husband who had no symptoms of heat probelms had a heart attack while we were in Panama so we were disembarked and sent to a hospital in Colon. Luckily they were able to stabilize him so we could fly home, because I later found out that medical evacuation would have cost $70,000 or more. Now we always get insurance.

Note: In pricing insurance therough InsureMytrip for our cruise this summer, I noticed that one company will waive the pre-existing medical condition clause If you buy it within 24 hours of final payment.

They're not pre-existing; I realize that. Maybe I got a little off topic, but still on the subject of insurance. The point I was trying to make is that some people don't buy ANY insurance, on the basis that they're "healthy". I've known healthy people who have fallen and injured themselves on the ship or on an excursion, only to find that their health insurance didn't cover them.

Also, my experience with insurance companies is that if they can find a way to make something pre-exisiting, they will! Better to be safe than sorry. And the point about pre-exisiting conditions for family members is also a valid point.

Roz

Marty, I think you're confused about the pre-existing condition clauses regarding the 90 to 180 days. This doesn't mean you purchase the insurance anywhere from 90 to 180 days before your departure. What they mean when they say 90 or 180 days is, they consider a condition pre-existing if you've been treated for any medical condition either 90 or 180 days before your departure depending on what company you choose. Some insurance companies say they will not cover any pre-existing condition if you've been treated for something within 90 days of departure, and some have the 180 day limit. In order to be covered for all pre-existing conditions, you have to purchase the insurance from 10 to 14 days of booking the cruise. You can cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance later, but it will be much more expensive than if you had purchased it at the time of booking. And, you must look carefully at all policies. Some consider anything you're taking medication for as pre-existing, but others say that taking meds for long term problems, such as diabetes, aren't pre-existing unless you've had a change in your condition or if your doctor has changed your medication for that condition within the 90 to 180 day limit.

Kitty9,

You did a good job of clarifying things. Thanks!

My general advice to anyone booking a cruise is buy travel insurance and buy it sooner rather than later.

Roz

"We are both in good health....". How do you know that? My "healthy" sister developed a blood clot in her leg that turned into a pulmonary embolism. My "healthy" aunt dropped to the floor from a brain anurysm. Well, you get the picture. I'm not here to lecture (well, maybe I am :D), but I constantly see posts from people who don't purchase travel insurance because they're supposedly healthy.

Roz

My poor fatherinlaw died of a stroke at 66-he was very health conscious-watched his diet, ran every day and looked much younger then 66-but it happened.

I know it is my responsibility to know my own insurance picture, but even my agent tells me the biggest waste of your insurance dollar is double covering. Is anybody a "subject matter expert" in knowing what coverages are provided by credit card automatic travel insurance if you book using an gold AMEX card for example? Does homeowners or auto coverage get you any piece of the coverage? I am just trying to see where I might find at least some coverage in my existing insurance picture.

I absolutely see the risk is much more than "loss of vacation $", which I thought was the biggest issue, before I found this forum.

If you don't purchase your insurance when you make your initial deposit...

there will be a pre-existing medical clause. This will date back 90 to 180

days FROM THE DATE YOU PURCHASED. It includes not only the travelers but family members NOT traveling.

If for example you purchased today....your sister was diagnosed with a new

medical problem three weeks ago.....ultimately you had to cancel your trip because of your sister's pre-existing problem....YOU WOULD NOT BE COVERED.

My main reason to purchase this insurance is for medical/medical evacuation in countries like Turkey, Italy, Croatia. Could be expensive. I'd rather be safe knowing I have it.

CSA is the only company that waives this pre existing if the policy is purchased prior to FINAL PAYMENT....NOT DEPOSIT.

Has anyone used CSA????? Might be better off at this point with a policy w/o these pre-existing loopholes.

Marty

Be very careful as some insurance carriers are primary or secondary providers. I believe tha CSA is secondary provider. If memory serves a secondary provider is just that and will only pay after all other venues for payment have been exhausted.

If this is not correct, please someone correct me.

Thanks Chipster....

CSA told me they are not primary or secondary.....they are "EXCESS" insurers. You are correct....they will pay only after YOU have exhausted all other venues for payment.....health, credit card, auto, homeowner's etc.

Sounds like lots of red tape.

Marty

CSA: yes, they are secondary providers. We use CSAfor insurance coverage. I had to make a claim for medical charges while on the QM2. Our primary insurance took care of the bill (a small amt. of $120), so no need to file with CSA.

However, our primary insurance would not have covered medical evacuation, trip interruption, etc.

I know all this pre existing is confusing, but CSA does cover relatives not traveling as well.

If you don't purchase your insurance when you make your initial deposit...

there will be a pre-existing medical clause. This will date back 90 to 180

days FROM THE DATE YOU PURCHASED. It includes not only the travelers but family members NOT traveling.

If for example you purchased today....your sister was diagnosed with a new

medical problem three weeks ago.....ultimately you had to cancel your trip because of your sister's pre-existing problem....YOU WOULD NOT BE COVERED.

My main reason to purchase this insurance is for medical/medical evacuation in countries like Turkey, Italy, Croatia. Could be expensive. I'd rather be safe knowing I have it.

CSA is the only company that waives this pre existing if the policy is purchased prior to FINAL PAYMENT....NOT DEPOSIT.

that is why we usually buy the mid priced Travelguard as it will cover pre-exisiting conditions. that ran us this upcoming cruise $60 a piece for a $2000 cruise. We are not flying but driving so I did not have to insure for that. I amsure it will be a couple of hundred each at least for your med cruise-but what is $400 when you are spending thousands?

Now we have never had tocash in on our policies so far- but it does keep me from worrying about what might happen.

We used to say we did not need it-then 5 yrs. afo my father-inlaw died suddenly and we thought him in great health. Three years ago hubby had a sudden attack about 6 weeks before a scheduled cruise. It was his gall bladder and they took it out that day-as it was severely infected and he did not even know! I was just thankful it did not happen on the cruise 6 weeks later.

Archived