How do you ....?

MHS4

Let's say you've had breakfast, chosen a pleasant spot for sunning (or shady as you wish), settled down with a book... time passes & a second cup of coffee would hit the spot. Do you leave something on the chair? take everything with you (camera, book, sunscreen, towel)? As a first time solo traveler (senior lady) this is a new situtation for me -- pior DH always would stay while I got coffee for both of us or visa versa. Same sort of thing if you sit down with your buffet lunch & then realize you didn't get any butter for that yummy roll.

Help! Any practical suggestions on situations the solo faces that simply don't occur when traveling as a couple? -- other than the dining issue which seems to have been well covered. Thanks.

Good morning:)

If I wanted a 2nd cup of coffee? I would ask a waiter for it.:)

If there was some sort of dessert I wanted? Yes, I would probably

leave my glasses, book or something else there...find a waiter in

the area and tell him I would be back promptly.

I have never had a problem with it...but then again I have always

sailed solo and never had anyone to "watch my stuff".

If it were me, I would leave my stuff on the chair and go get the coffee and bring it back. If you were going to drink it inside, then I would take my stuff with me.

If I needed something from the buffet, I would get the attention of the waiter servicing the area I was sitting in just to let him know that I am coming right back. Most people will leave a fresh tray of food for a few minutes assuming someone is coming back. The bigger problem I have had is when I finish lunch and go back up to get some dessert. The waiter clears the tray and someone else sits down at the table thinking it is available. The remedy is to leave a book or something on the table, or get a table close to the buffet that you can keep an eye on.

• 3 weeks later...

I've thought about bringing a small laminated sign that says something like "gone for coffee - be right back" since even when I travel with DH, we often do different things during the day.

Let's say you've had breakfast, chosen a pleasant spot for sunning (or shady as you wish), settled down with a book... time passes & a second cup of coffee would hit the spot. Do you leave something on the chair? take everything with you (camera, book, sunscreen, towel)? As a first time solo traveler (senior lady) this is a new situtation for me -- pior DH always would stay while I got coffee for both of us or visa versa. Same sort of thing if you sit down with your buffet lunch & then realize you didn't get any butter for that yummy roll.

Help! Any practical suggestions on situations the solo faces that simply don't occur when traveling as a couple? -- other than the dining issue which seems to have been well covered. Thanks.

Since I don't carry any real valuables with me around the ship, I just leave my stuff and go back inside to get what I want. I've never had a problem. Now on embarkation day, if I'm carrying all my carryons around with me at the buffet, because the cabins weren't ready yet, I would probably hesitate to do that. I wouldn't want my laptop computer walking off. But in that case I just make sure to sit near the coffee station inside ... where I could keep an eye on my stuff while I went back up to get more java. If I'm enjoying an alcoholic libation, and decide I want another, I just make sure I sit near the bar ... where I could easily signal a bartender to get me something else. Also, if you are eating at the Lido in that sort of situation, it's unlikely you're gonna get a table to yourself during the busy embarkation time, so you could always ask those you are sharing with to watch your stuff while you get more coffee.

I guess it is a little more difficult for us solo travelers in that we have to do a bit more planning for situations like this. But, I know that I usually try to meet people onboard, and will usually not have to sit by myself while on deck. So, there's always someone who can watch my stuff while I go back inside for something else ... and vice versa.

You'd be surprised how many people sail alone these days ... and even if they are onboard with family and friends, they're not glued at the hip with them and will often be sunning on the deck alone just like you. I've never had a problem in any of these situations while onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

All great ideas....I do the same..if there is a waiter in the area..I let him know that I will be right back....and if there is no waiter...and if someone sitting nearby looks like they are going to be there a while...I'll simply ask if they could keep an eye on my stuff that I'm just getting a coffee and will be right back. You would be amazed at how friendly and accommodating other cruisers are. Deep down...most people wish the best for others and are so eager to help....as you would if the situation was reversed.

But, I don't leave a big valuable sitting there..I wouldn't want to burden another cruiser with having the responsibility of worrying about an expensive camera being grabbed off the table....so I will simply put my camera around my neck before I ask a neighbouring table to watch my book, food, etc.

Solo cruisers do have a few more logistical problems than couples...but it does all work out.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found myself in a similar situation on my last cruise. I simply left my things on the table, and asked a person sitting nearby to keep an eye on it while I ran back up to get another coffee. fellow passengers will usually have no problem doing that for you, and will also be more likely to let a busboy know that you'll be right back if they see one starting to clear your table.

I would suggest that you take any "valubles" (sunglasses, camera, S&S card, etc) with you, but to leave something such as a book, or sun lotion on the table so that people (and busboys) should know someone is sitting here & has obviously gone back up to the buffet line to get something. (just a good idea to ask someone sitting near you to keep an eye on it for a little extra assurance that both your table & your belongings will be there when you get back.

That's the nice thing about cruising "solo". The more times you do it, the more of these little tips you learn, and the more comfortable you become in cruising solo again (and again, and again:-)

I hope this info will be helpful to you.

Island Annie . . . (18 "solo" cruises:-) (so far;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
What about beach shore excursions? Do you try to sit near peeps that have your ship's type towels?

Hi Ali, wow, this thread is 8 years old:eek:.....

It depends on the beach and/or the resort. Do I try to sit near people

who have ship's towels? It depends. IF I am going an actual "excursion"

there are probably others going too.....maybe would sit by them. If

I am going to a resort for the day on my own? I may look for other

people to sit by or if I just feel like being on my own? A chair and

umbrella are good for me.