Tipping Wine Sommelier - Is this to much?

Champagne

I was looking for other peoples experience when it comes to tipping at the end of a cruise. My husband and I really enjoy good wines and often splurge on ship. Are you supposed to tip the wine sommelier extra at the end of the cruise over the 15% they get? Last time we did, but I think it might be crazy because he already got a tip of a $100.00 from the required 15% off the wine we purchased. Am I crazy or am I cheap? What do others do? I know it’s tacky to ask but how much do you tip the Assistant Maitre'd up front to get the personalized service you want? Or do you even need to do this? I want everyone to know these boards are great and you all are a great help. Thank you:o

Hi, Champagne (what a great screen name!) - We tip extra (above the automatic 15% gratuity) if the sommelier has clearly put some thought and care into serving us. If he/she just takes our order and delivers the wine, we feel that the 15% is enough.

Like you, we enjoy good wines and share a bottle every night at dinner. We talk with the sommelier the first evening and tell him/her that we like to try new things, and that we want him/her to challenge us to experiment. We also mention that we're from California and so we'd prefer to try lots of non-US wines that we might not find at home. Sometimes sommeliers have taken that as a fun challenge and have really enjoyed discussing wines with us; others seem to just want to take an order from us and move on. You can tell who gets tipped extra! ;)

On our last cruise (Millennium Transatlantic in Nov '05) we had Zanna as our sommelier, and she clearly enjoyed our challenge. She was so great that we quickly started adding a little extra tip every night (roughly an extra 10% on top of the 15%) and at the end of the cruise added an extra $20. We felt that she really deserved it.

We've never tipped the Assistant Maitre d' extra at the start of the cruise, although we do and have tipped extra on the spot if he (it's always a man) doesn't something extra for us during the cruise.

We have provided our own wine that we have raided from our cellar. We understand that of the $15 corkage, the sommelier gets only $5. Would it make sense to pay each corkage in cash and let the sommelier decide what to do with it?

We've never tipped the Assistant Maitre d' extra at the start of the cruise, although we do and have tipped extra on the spot if he (it's always a man) doesn't something extra for us during the cruise.

Actually, on our December cruise on Summit our Assistant Maitre d' was a very nice lady. She came to our table most every night to check on us.

We also enjoy - well, let's be honest - a LOT of wine with dinner. The sommeliers who went out of their way to make our dining experience enjoyable got a tip in proportion to their service. I can only remember one who didn't make the cut. Most others found out what we liked, made recommendations, kept our glasses filled during the meal and made us feel like honored guests. As we assume that no server ever gets the whole 15%, we don't mind extending an extra thank you after outstanding service. Our best experience was with a sommelier named Borys, who introduced me to a number of wines that I now buy by the case, gave us tastes of wines he thought we would particularly enjoy, and one night even took us into the wine service area to show us around. I wish we could have taken him home with us.

We usually give the Assistant Maitre D' the standard tip at the end, as long as he/she has at least chatted with us nightly. Again, if they do something outstanding, like the gentleman on Mercury who found let the 2 of us sit at an empty table for 8 for the week instead of our assigned 2-top because the party of 8 next to us was so ill-behaved. He moved us with a smile and he got a nice tip immediately.

I guess we subscribe to the "anybody who really, really wants to make your cruise extra special deserves a special gift" policy. It's worked pretty well.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Hi Champagne, (I also love your screen name:) ).

I really think your question is different for different people.

Rather the answer is different for different people;)

The Sommeliers do receive 15% off every bottle they sell so in

reality they are getting extra.

Of course, as you see, for those people who feel they have

received extra good service, an extra amount is given.

I have done it both ways....so it varies for me cruise to cruise.

There is no right or wrong that is for sure.

I know for example when I sailed Summit in October we had

an 8 top of folks from our Roll Call and we ALL DRANK. I left

our Sommelier a bit extra and I felt good doing it. (We had at least

2 bottles each night).

Now, when I sailed Zenith in February all I had was a glass of

wine during dinner. It was a 5 night cruise I just didn't drink

during dinner. So, this time I didn't tip him extra. (One glass in all

5 nights).

Do you what you feel most comfortable with:)

I think Brucemcdou has the right idea. When you receive special service, an outstanding personality, it makes sense to add something over the 15%.

Also, 15% is no longer considered the upper range of tipping. 18% and above is not unusual, at least here in California.

We're with KirstenT on this. We tip the wine steward, who always checks with us and recommends wines he knows we like (lower alcohol, because if you're sharing a bottle between two, you can get pretty swacked on some of those 14-plus percent Californians and Aussies). I also carry around a wad of singles to hand out to the bar waiters and waitresses who serve at the pool, etc. It ain't much, but believe me, on QM2 where smiles were sometimes (repeat, sometimes) in short supply, we were always greeted warmly by the guys & gals who knew us from the various watering holes. KirstenT, like you, we like wine A LOT, too. So much so that because of our wine bill on QM2 (the GNP of some 3rd world countries), we jumped at the chance to sail on Silversea (a line we normally would not have considred because of price), because all booze is included in the price :)

when you book the 11/27 cruise join our group at CC connections :)

Thanks Thomasale, we intend to do just that. I so enjoy the roll calls. We'll be booking this cruise while aboard Infinty next month. Love those cabin credits!:)

Thanks for all the reply’s I feel better about tipping extra. Most times I usually get excellent service and feel good about tipping extra. However, last cruise I was on Zenith, back to back in Feb. I had an average wine sommelier, Anna, who was very rushed and didn’t go out of her way to do much. Even if we ordered nice wines she wouldn’t bring out the crystal glasses. She tried to serve us a very nice bottle of champagne in those tiny champagne glasses they give you once you board. I guess I should be positive because I think you can get 12 glasses of champagne per bottle with the smaller glass as apposed to 6 with the standardJ. After we asked for the larger champagne glasses she rolled her eyes and said only if it was ok with the wine master. Of course it was ok with him, and ironically he was our wine sommelier on the second cruise. We tipped her extra, next time I’m only tipping extra to those who provide good service. So what is the deal with the different glasses, I notice if you order more expensive wines they give you real crystal glasses as opposed to the glasses on the table. Does anyone know how they determine what glasses to bring? I’m sure price has something to do with it.

Actually, on our December cruise on Summit our Assistant Maitre d' was a very nice lady. She came to our table most every night to check on us.

It's very possible that was Danuta, from Poland. Last time we ran into her (on Infinity), she was indeed an Asst. Maitre d', and I think one of the first females to get this job on a Celebrity ship. She was originally a waiter for us on Century (and was also recognized as one of the first female waiters in the main dining room on Celebrity) ...

So, it is no longer just a man's job.

It's very possible that was Danuta, from Poland. Last time we ran into her (on Infinity), she was indeed an Asst. Maitre d', and I think one of the first females to get this job on a Celebrity ship. She was originally a waiter for us on Century (and was also recognized as one of the first female waiters in the main dining room on Celebrity) ...

So, it is no longer just a man's job.

Tbelian and CaliforniaDreaming - that's great news that there are some female Maitre d's on Celebrity! I've just never seen one, and always wondered whether it was real discrimination or just coincidence. Most Celebrity sommeliers are male, but our favorite sommelier was Zanna on the Millennium last fall (the "okey-dokey girl," as she called herself. If you've had her you'll remember her!). We also had a female sommelier in the Olympic Specialty Restaurant on the same cruise, but I'm afraid I don't recall her name. Otherwise all other sommeliers we've ever had have been men. I hope it's something that will change over time as women come up through the waitstaff.

:) Hi, we had Ruby as our Maitr'd on Connie when I sailed

in Dec 2004. She is from South Africa and was fabulous:)

So there is another female Maitr'd:D

I think Brucemcdou has the right idea. When you receive special service, an outstanding personality, it makes sense to add something over the 15%.

Also, 15% is no longer considered the upper range of tipping. 18% and above is not unusual, at least here in California.

Personally, I think 10% is adequate for a tip, and 15% is then above and beyond adeqate. (Hey, it's my opinion, so let's not start crapping all over me for it!) When we Canadians add a 15% tax on everything, and then add a tip on top of that, it really adds to your bill in a restaurant.

Who decides what is minimal?

Who then decides that the minimum needs to be raised, and why?

Who dedided that tipping was to be done as a percentage, and not a flat rate?

When was it decided that everyone must tip everyone for everything? (Tip jars are popping up everywhere, from ice-cream stands to when you attend a buffet and you do all the work of serving yourself!)

Where will it all stop? 30%? 50%? more?

You can't pay cash for anything on Celebrity ships other than perhaps gambling.

Bruce

.>>

Oh, really! What about the cash tips, such as the $2 pp tip at the alternative restaurant or the ten spot you slipped The Man to get that table for two or the two bucks to the guy or gal who delivers your breakfast to your cabin? There is no law prohibiting paying the $15 corkage in cash directly to the wine steward.

To the OP,

Should we tip extra. Personnel choice. We always give the wine steward more than the 15%. I do it a little different though. We know that we will spend on wine for dinner. We will spend a good amount on wine at dinner..."Cheers".:D So I always give the wine steward a "Tip" (to insure prompt service) the first night. Not alot...just enough. Guess what...while people are sitting at their tables waiting for their wine...guess where the wine steward is...:rolleyes:

If you feel that what is added to your tab is enough, that is up to you. When you are standing at the pool bar, martini bar, disco bar, piano bar, Crow's Nest Bar, The Rendez-Vous Bar, on your lounge by the pool and are not getting the service, think about this. That the 50 year old gentleman with a dark beard and a head full of hair that is smiling from ear to ear...is.

I'm on vacation...I came to have a good time and spend money. I always get "Great service".

DO YOU?:p

To the OP,

Should we tip extra. Personnel choice. We always give the wine steward more than the 15%. I do it a little different though. We know that we will spend on wine for dinner. We will spend a good amount on wine at dinner..."Cheers".:D So I always give the wine steward a "Tip" (to insure prompt service) the first night. Not alot...just enough. Guess what...while people are sitting at their tables waiting for their wine...guess where the wine steward is...:rolleyes:

If you feel that what is added to your tab is enough, that is up to you. When you are standing at the pool bar, martini bar, disco bar, piano bar, Crow's Nest Bar, The Rendez-Vous Bar, on your lounge by the pool and are not getting the service, think about this. That the 50 year old gentleman with a dark beard and a head full of hair that is smiling from ear to ear...is.

I'm on vacation...I came to have a good time and spend money. I always get "Great service".

DO YOU?:p

To Champagne,

I was sitting today thinking how I worded my post to you. I was not directing the second paragraph in your direction. I read this entire thread and saw that you like most, agree that the se people deserve more. I was directing this towards the folks that always seem to think that a 15% tip is enough or "too" much.

These folks on ships work very hard. Their base pay isn't the greatest. But like all of us, it is what they choose to do for a living.

Two years ago at Christmas we were on the "Horizon" and had a very good wine steward. Her name was "Oana". On the second or third night of the cruise my wife gave her a vey nice (not expensive) Christmas pin for her lapel on her jacket. You would have thought we gave her the "Hope Diamond". She even teared up. Wife was happy...Oana was happy. In St. Maarten we were having a drink at a little kiosk bar on the main drag. The bartender walked over and gave us another. I ask for the tab and he told me we had none. He said the young lady over at the table had taken care of it. It was Oana. We went over to thank her and she introduced us to her hubby to be. They got engaged that day. The ring was beautiful. But all she talked about was the pin Elaine had given her, which she was wearing.

All I have too say is this...a little extra goes a long way. I have never been on a cruise were the staff has been nothing but great. Then again...we treat them the same way we like to be treated. They like all of us always deserve a little extra for a job well done.;)

JMHO

Jeff

:) Hi Jeff, what a nice story. Lots of folks tear up when people

do nice things for them.

To Oana, that pin WAS the Hope Diamond!:)

we like good wine and travel by the motto,life is to short to drink cheap wine.I always get the wine list from the specialty restaurant in the main dining room(yes ,they have you just have to ask).We get the next days menu from the assit maitre d (they always have it in their pocket).You can order the next days wine before you leave.Remember the wine form the specialty restaurant is 3 decks down, sometimes it is hard to get during dinner, but if you do it is worth the tip.For this sevice we always pay the standard tips plus an envelope of appeciation at the end of the cruise. vineyard66

We're with KirstenT on this. We tip the wine steward, who always checks with us and recommends wines he knows we like (lower alcohol, because if you're sharing a bottle between two, you can get pretty swacked on some of those 14-plus percent Californians and Aussies). I also carry around a wad of singles to hand out to the bar waiters and waitresses who serve at the pool, etc. It ain't much, but believe me, on QM2 where smiles were sometimes (repeat, sometimes) in short supply, we were always greeted warmly by the guys & gals who knew us from the various watering holes. KirstenT, like you, we like wine A LOT, too. So much so that because of our wine bill on QM2 (the GNP of some 3rd world countries), we jumped at the chance to sail on Silversea (a line we normally would not have considred because of price), because all booze is included in the price :)

I also prefer lower alcohol wines (so I can drink a half bottle without feeling whacked) but have only been met with blank stares when I mention this. Your post gives me the idea to at least try this tack on our next cruise. If our sommelier meets this request, I will happily tip extra!! Meanwhile, I

if you have any hints about lower alcohol content wines on Celebrity, I would love to know. (We are cruising the Constellation in a few weeks.)

Nany

Archived