Magica - Christmas 06 ?

Taf

Are there any other "early birds" booked for the Christmas cruise from Port Everglades on 23.12.07?

This will be our 2nd Costa cruise - we went on the Atlantica from La Romana last year and had a fantastic cruise, the only thing missing was fellow English speakers! 95% of that cruise was European (mostly Italian and French) On the last evening we met a group of 20 or so Canadians, and discovered that we weren`t quite the only English speakers aboard!

So this year we hope to meet loads by sailing from a US port.

Are there any other "early birds" booked for the Christmas cruise from Port Everglades on 23.12.07?

This will be our 2nd Costa cruise - we went on the Atlantica from La Romana last year and had a fantastic cruise, the only thing missing was fellow English speakers! 95% of that cruise was European (mostly Italian and French) On the last evening we met a group of 20 or so Canadians, and discovered that we weren`t quite the only English speakers aboard!

So this year we hope to meet loads by sailing from a US port.

:D :D I AM ON,BUT 2006 (((SO FAR)ITS MY 2ND CRUISE ON COSTA,AND GUESS WHAT?FIRST ONE WAS ON ATLANTICA :D DEC 2004

We are going too. We are doing a back to back sowill also be on for New Years

First time on Costa. Will have our two daughters with us also.they are 3 and 16.

Regards

Roger

Great! Thats 2 people I can talk to at least!!

Goldenbonny - what a coincidence - both on the Atlantica!:D I thought it was a lovely ship, great balcony cabins, delicious food, good service - I´m hope the Magica will be as good.

Awol - My daughter is 13, and my son 10 - so there should be some other English speaking kids in the kids club zone! This was a slight problem for us on the Atlantica - the kids activities were great but my kids had no-one to talk to apart from the staff!

I am travelling with my husband and 2 kids, mother in law, and my mother and father (:eek: ) Should be fun!!!!!:D

I was very impressed with my 1st Costa cruise - have been on NCL and Carnival before and found Costa to be better - just my opinion.

Great! Thats 2 people I can talk to at least!!

Goldenbonny - what a coincidence - both on the Atlantica! I thought it was a lovely ship, great balcony cabins, delicious food, good service - I´m hope the Magica will be as good.

Awol - My daughter is 13, and my son 10 - so there should be some other English speaking kids in the kids club zone! This was a slight problem for us on the Atlantica - the kids activities were great but my kids had no-one to talk to apart from the staff!

I am travelling with my husband and 2 kids, mother in law, and my mother and father (:eek: ) Should be fun!!!!!:D

I was very impressed with my 1st Costa cruise - have been on NCL and Carnival before and found Costa to be better - just my opinion.

YOU HAVE TOOOO MUCH PARENTS AROUND YOU))))I BEEN ON NCL LAST YEAR:eek: I PREFER COSTA:D

We too are on the 23 December sailing on the Magica from Fort Lauderdale. Although not Americans, we are from Britain so English speaking.

We too sailed on the Atlantica (a few years ago in the Med) and only a handful of English speaking people on board that time (and only met 2 US cruisers in the whole week!). I am hoping that there will be more in the Caribbean.

I will be sailing with my husband, two daughters (aged 9 and 12) and my mother. The girls enjoy kids clubs on board ships.

We have a villa in Orlando so will be staying there the week before and after the cruise before flying home. Heard a lot of bad reviews about Costa (I liked the Atlantica, food not good but the waiters told us that in the Med it changes completely to cater to European tastes so the Caribbean should be different) but I am sure it will be fine. It will be Christmas week, no food to cook, no housework, no beds to make, lovely places to visit so what could be better . . . ? Fantastic child prices in the UK (almost went through US site but although cheaper for adults, couldn't beat the overall price as I only paid £85 in total for each of the children!!) so an offer too good to miss.

The only problem is how to get Santa on board. It was bad enough last year getting Santa to visit the villa in Florida (not as easy as when we are at home) - how will I explain how he arrives on a ship! The 9 year old is just at the stage where she wants to believe, but doesn't quite.

Tracey

(England)

We are British too!!! But travelling from Germany (we live in Austria). We also got a great deal with the kids - 150 Euros - although my daughter is full price as she is sharing with my mother in law - it was a better deal to do this than pay the single suppliment.

As for Christmas, my kids got Nintendo DS`s last year as they were small and convienient to pack!! and their grannies bought them the games.

Friends who travelled with us last year took photos of their large gifts and put them in a card (a bike and a dolls house) with a message on the photo saying "This bike belongs to Jack" I though it was a nice alternative to carting the actual bike to the Carribean!!:) My son is still at that "do I/don`t I " believe stage with Santa - he daren`t quite come out and declare absolute disbelief - just in case!!!

Our Atlantica cruise was in Carribean last year over New Year and the food was outstanding - as you say, no cooking and no bottle washing for a week sounds - good to me.

Tracey (yes that`s my name too!)

The child price was unbelievable, wasn't it? I opted to pay child price for Katie and single supplement for my mum and booked her through a US site. Her ticket was hardly any more expensive than our adult price by doing it that way (a single in the UK was £900, by doing it through the US it was £750). Katie will probably end up with her most of the time - but I wasn't passing up that great child price. It made the difference between going on a cruise and staying in the villa. Last Christmas we were so busy in the villa (we only bought last Easter) and spend the whole three weeks painting, cleaning, putting up curtains, buying things . . . that we felt we missed out on Christmas. We were determined to not do the same this time so this is the best of both worlds. Work hard in the villa (and visit parks), total week of being waited on and then back to work and Disney parks. The children had mostly $US from friends last time and Santa bought the youngest a Game Boy so she was happy. But it was a busy day so not a proper Christmas. This year will be different.

It was interesting on the Atlantica in the Med. I thought she was a beautiful ship (if a little gaudy with all the red) but apparently, things change as they cross the Atlantic. The waiters said that the portions get much smaller, there is much more emphasis on fruit and salad at the buffets (and the Italians put me to shame as they had a snack of fresh fruit every time whilst I had cake and biscuits - no wonder they are so slim) and the air con is switched down. Simon used to sweat like mad at dinner in his suit (in the Caribbean I always freeze indoors). Tips are also much lower as well.

I will miss eating whenever I fancy (last 2 cruises were on Princess and there is always something to eat). Simon and I are going on Norwegian Jewel at Whit (end May) for a week (from Barcelona) without the children and it is completely freestyle dining there. That will be a new experience. But, not having to cook is good enough for me and I have never had bad food on a cruise, just some better than others.

Why do you live in Austria? The 150 Euros doesn't include airfare does it? Ours is just cruise only as we have already got flights to Orlando.

Went on the Glory last Feb and thought she was a lovely ship. Magica is supposed to be the same class of ship so should be just as good.

Have we got anything else in common then apart from both being British (I assume you are Welsh, my family live in North Wales), taking two children almost the same age, (parent(s)) and having the same name? It is our 15th wedding anniversary this year (this is why we are going on NCL next month and are having the anniversary package for free - Costa don't offer anything). Not yours too??

Tracey

just had to say hello to a Jones and a Taf. Witha a name like daffodil you'll know where I come from too.

We are big fans of costa, had four cruises, 5th on the new ship Concordia for new year coming up. it's so good to have some Welsh on Cc. Cymru am Byth.

Daffodil

Ooops - I´m giving the wrong impression here. Taf are my initials, not my "ethnic origins" - sorry I´m not welsh, Daffodil! Tracey was taken as a sign in name, as was Tracey1, Tracey2 through to Tracey794, so Taf it was!!!

Hi Anyway Daffodil:)

The Concordia sounds great, it will be nice being on a brand new ship.

I must ask Tracey, are you a child of the sixties, growing up watching HOW, knowing the lyrics to all the Abba songs, and being in love with the lead singer of the Bay City Rollers????? I have a theory that most Tracey´s were born mid 60`s. :rolleyes:

We have just had our 16th wedding anniversary, but instead of a romantic kiddie free cruise, my husband stuck to form and forgot all about it!! We went on our first NCL cruise for our honeymoon and have been keen on cruising ever since. Atlantica as our firts Costa cruise, and apart from the lack of other English speakers, we were very impressed. Hope to solve that problem by ssailing from the US this time.

The Magica cruise prices are excellent - we compared them to RCL and HAL but found their prices generally to be much more competetive and the kids deal was a real bonus. Most were quoting 800 - 900 dollars for child places. We have booked 3 balcony cabins in a row, on deck 6 - where are you? Last year my m-i-l booked a single cabin but was only allocated an inside, hence us paying full price for Megan to ensure she gets a balcony cabin this time.

We live in Austria because of our work. My husband is a Golf Pro and we run a golf school & pro shop at the course here in the summer. We were origionally only here in Summer, moving back to the UK in winter, but since the kids are now at school we have had to be based full time here. But we love it, we live in the alps so great for skiing in winter, and we get lots of friends and family coming over to ski!

Sounds like a lot of hard work at you Villa, but worth it I´m sure. Do you get over there often?

We have rented a house in the Keys for a week after the cruise, for some R & R after the stress of cruising (!!!!!!!)

Roll on 23rd Dec!!!!

Daffodil - I am sorry too but my name is also misleading. My maiden name was Evans (my dad is Irish) and my married name is Jones (but husband's family not Welsh either). My sister is now married to a Hughes - and her husband isn't Welsh either!! However, we live in Dorset but the rest of the family live just over the border from Cheshire.

Taf - yes I was born mid sixties (as were most of the Traceys that I know). But not Bay City Rollers - the Osmonds (and I still am a big fan, went to see them the other week).

Austria, lovely place to live. We have a motorhome and keep meaning to drive down as far as the Alps but not made it yet.

We have just booked inside cabins and are happy with that. I like complete darkness and last year on the Golden Princess didn't feel the outside cabin was worth the extra money (plus the children woke up early each morning with the light) so have gone back to inside cabins. Did you book your flights separately? They have gone dear, haven't they?

Only just bought the villa (almost a year now) so had a lot of work to do on our first visit. Most of it done now. Got quite a few bookings this year and next - so hoping to break even next year.

Flippin`Eck! That was a good deal. Maybe they do it on certain itineries or certain weeks - it wasn`t all inclusive on our Atlantic trip, and the Magica isn`t. They are offering a 9.90 Euro drinks inclusive deal per person per day, but during the day we usually eat at the buffet where some of the drinks are free anyway, and at night we will have the wine package with jugs of "tap" water provided (they only charged for mineral water and let you ask for as much jugged water as you like) The offer only includes drinks during meals, so I don`t think it is such a great offer unless you are a big wine or beer drinker at lunch or dinner.

We will have to arrange a meeting point for all Cruise Critic members - or maybe we`ll recognise each other in the queue other outside the kids club?? Hopefully nearer the time there will be more people to join the party!!

I am so excited - Can hardly wait and its Aaages yet!!!:)

Have you looked into what you`ll do it the ports? I´ve got some good tips off these boards, Grand Turk looks wonderful, and we plan to do Geofreys tour in St. Thomas, maybe go to an all inclusve resort for the day in La Romana unless they have the tenders again over to Catalina Island. St Juan is only an evening visit - not sure what to do there......

Tracey

I think that they only did an all inclusive offer at certain times. There were two dates offered the year we went and only with certain travel agents. it seemed that eveyone on the late sitting and upper deck of the dining room had the same package as bottles of wine were alreaady on the table when you went in, you could order anything else you liked during the meal and at the end of the meal it was a bit of a joke as everybody would be rushing to pay for the round of drinks. "Put it on my card" . . . "No put it on mine" . . . Everyone normally ended up with a whiskey, Baileys, Port, etc. Then off people went to the shows and more drinks. I am not a big drinker so didn't really benefit (sea sick easily - drink makes it worse - and travel sickness tablets - shouldn't really drink). However, I did enjoy my Bailey's Pina Colada during the day by the pool. I think there were lots of companies on that trip as they had business name cards on the tables - maybe they do all-inclusive specials for lots of corparate bookings?

Ports, St Thomas. Been there twice, love it. My favourite island. Took a taxi to Megans Bay and just floated on the water on a lilo. Beautiful. Taxi fare pay per person and entrance fee into Megans Bay. Taxi driver wouldn't stop to let me take photos from the top - a stunning view. Second time took the local bus (exactly the same as the trolleys that run from the port but just have to walk a little way from the ship to where the locals stop). Think it was something like $1 a ride. Stopped at all the bus stops though and a longer ride - plus dropped you off at the bottom of the road to Coki Beach (is that right?) and you had to walk a good half mile.

San Juan, we just walked around the city. That is Christmas Day too isn't it? Depends where you dock, Princess docks way out (a good half hour walk), others dock in the town itself. May even stay on the ship.

Can you tell me more about La Romana? The UK advance brochure said Catalina Island, it now appears it is no longer on the itinerary. Is it the same place? Are they close? We really would like to do the private beach resort - hope this is possible.

Grand Turks, no idea, never been.

I am sure there will be more people nearer the time to set up a meeting. On the last Princess cruise, someone contacted the cruise director and he set up a meeting place with free drinks, snacks and free Princess beach bags. Don't know if Costa does the same?

Tell me more about the drinks package. How did you get details of this as I cannot find it? I don't really drink but Simon likes an occasional beer and glass of wine with meals. Especially with it being Christmas week, might be a nice idea.

Speak with you soon,

Tracey

Our Atlantica cruise went from and back to La Romana. The port is very small and not near the town as far as I could tell - certainly not within walking distance. There are fantastic beaches in this area though, and I know Sunscape Hotel and the Iberostar at Bayahibe do day passes for their hotels, the beaches are all public in the DR and there are also little restaurants and bars etc on the beach if you don`t do an AI. I think the ship runs a trip to one of these hotels (not sure, just read it here I think) There should be taxi`s etc on the dock side if people want to go anywhere. It has bad reports on these boards, but we had a wonderful time in the DR on holidays and found the people very friendly and helpful.

Catalina Island is the Carnival Private Island, and is about 25 minutes from La Romana on the ship (took us 25 minutes to cruise there on the Atlantica from La Romana the next morning) They then used tenders to get people ashore. I think they may dock in La Romana and offer tenders to the passangers to Catalina (again, not sure but it seems silly if they don`t use their own island when it is so close, probably quicker to reach by tender than manovering the big ship!!) There was a beautiful beach with a beach chairs and parasols, and Costa had a delicious barbeque buffet on the beach, as well as small private bars and shops. Christal clear water, soft white sand..... lovely. I may have 1 or 2 photos I could send if you are interested.

As for the drinks package, it is available to book here at 9,90 Euros (about 6 pounds?) per person per day and includes beer, house wine and soft drinks but only at meal times in the dining room. It is in our (german version) Costa broshure, so I would check with your Costa booking rep.

We have just joined the Costa Club, it gets you 20% discount on wine packages, laundry, mini bar in the cabin, and other special priveliges such as cocktail receptions, fruit in cabin etc. Have also found out that if we had joined before making the booking, we would have got a 5% discount on the cruise price!! Shame!! You have to have completed one Costa cruise to join.

That is a good idea about contacting the cruise director for a "meet and greet" from CC. I`m sure more people will be on contact nearer the time.

Thanks for the info on La Romana. We want to do a beach day so will look into it. Much more convenient to tender in from their private island than to dock somewhere else and then take boats over. Not as easy to go backwards and forwards to the ship. Does this also mean that they won't provide the usual private island facilities such as BBQ / food, etc? Labadee was my favourite stop on Royal Caribbean (their private island). Yes, please would like to see photos. Can you post them?

Can't find any info on drinks package on the UK or US site. And as I don't speak German, couldn't locate it on that either. Must be a special offer for certain countries.

We are an Americans couple with no children in our 50's, both teachers. We got a balcony in case we need time out from all the children. I love Holiday cruises. This will be our third one for the Holiday and our 17th all together. We have not tried Costa. The price was to good to pass up. PH

Hi PH. We had a great time on Costa, I´m sure you will too. We also have balcony cabins, I love breakfast in the fresh air in my nighty!

Hi Tracey - I´ll see if I can post some pics (not very tech. minded, so it may take a while ---- watch this space). The details for the drinks package is only in the broshure, I can`t find it on the costa website here either - can you check with Costa direct - or with who you made the booking with?

Hi PH. I am also a teacher. Primary age group (that's 4 to 11). Yes, too good a price to pass up for Christmas week. Especially child price. Taf, will get around to asking Costa sometime. Loads on at the moment and NCL Jewel only 5 weeks away now. Got to lose some weight QUICKLY! Been reading up the menu in the Bistro and boy, sounds lovely. The filet mignon and the chocolate fondue . . . .yum, yum, yum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, We just booked 3 cabins and we are excited to try Costa. My wife and I will have 1 of our grandsons with us, while my daughter and her husband will have our other grandson and a new baby (debuting in July) with them. The other cabin has my son-in-law's sister and husband and 2 teens. Both my grandsons have been cruising since they were infants and we thought we'd start the new baby off right.

Monarch Sun 8/75

Majesty of the Seas 8/94

Norwegian Dream 4/99

Century 4/00

Galaxy 12/00

Dawn Princess 12/01

Infinity 4/02

Horizon 4/03

Grand Princess 12/03

Constellation 2/05

Constellation 12/05

Caribbean Princess 4/06

Costa Magica 12/06

Hi All,

I am possibly going to look into this sailing, but first was wondering from Costa past guests, how bad the smoking was on the ship. I know the cruise line attracts many European travelers and that could mean more smokers on board. I don't want to offend anyone, but my daughter uses an inhaler. Please let me know if there is a "side" where smoking is allowed, and does someone try to control this.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Hi

My father is an asmatic and also uses an inhaler, but on our Atlantica cruise he had no problems with smoke. We didn`t notice a smoky atmosphere anywhere in particular, I think the restaurants are no smoking and smoking is only permited in certain areas - not sure though. I can only say that we didn`t have a problem with smoke, although other people have mentioned that it bothered them on some cruises. And ours had a very high percent of French and Italians passangers on board who tend smoke much more than Brits and Americans (although Italy has now adopted a total no smoking ban in public places!!!)

You have to decide for yourself how sensitive you daughter is to any smoke, but imo I don`t think it would be a problem on Costa any more than other cruise line.

Hope to see you there :)

Hi All,

I am possibly going to look into this sailing, but first was wondering from Costa past guests, how bad the smoking was on the ship. I know the cruise line attracts many European travelers and that could mean more smokers on board. I don't want to offend anyone, but my daughter uses an inhaler. Please let me know if there is a "side" where smoking is allowed, and does someone try to control this.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Hi Robin, We were on the Magica (3/5) and did not have a problem with second-hand smoke. The only place I even noticed it was in the casino while playing table games. That definitely bothered some when others lit up while seated nearby. That wouldn't be a problem if your daughter is underage and won't be in the casino. On Deck 9/Giotto, they do have a side with smoking allowed. This is a major activity area with the pools/hot-tubs fore and aft of the Bellagio Buffet with sun-decks, music and dancing also around this outdoor area. The 2 sides of the ship feature indoor and outdoor seating for buffet diners and as a former smoker I did notice a smoking allowed sign (and ashtrays) on one side of the ship. The cruises in the Caribbean have much less European smokers than the cruises in the Mediterranean Sea. If it's any help, we loved our Magica cruise!

Archived