Magica - Christmas 06 ?

Taf

We booked our air tickets. We used 50,000 points with Delta and another 50000 with Capitol One Visa. Got tickets on the same plane the day before the cruise. I was afraid that we were going to have to drive from Atlanta. We are all set and counting down the days. PH

We are all booked up too - flying into Miami from Paris on 21st and staying in Fort Lauderdale a couple of days before the cruise. No air miles though - ha ha

We MUST see some "Gators" before we board .. we plan on doing an air boat trip in the Everglades..... any tips from a local???

I can feel another song coming on........"I`m so excited......"

Hey we've usually seen plenty of gators just driving on alligator alley - they are laying all over the sides of the road in the spring but ... I don't know abot December. I will get back to you - we went to a park once just a little south of Miami where there were a lot and my daughter's class did the airboat ride thing for a field trip last year. I will get the name for you. Personally, I am afraid of them and stay as far away as possible.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished booking my hotel rooms and can now say we are all set to go. We have been to all the ports already except for the Turks but we enjoy cruising no matter where the ship takes us. Hope that Costa proves to be a good choice since it is our first time with them. Hope to see you all in a few months.

Monarch Sun 8/75

Majesty of the Seas 8/94

Norwegian Dream 4/99

Century 4/00

Galaxy 12/00

Dawn Princess 12/01

Infinity 4/02

Horizon 4/03

Grand Princess 12/03

Constellation 2/05

Constellation 12/05

Caribbean Princess 4/06

Costa Magica 12/06

Oosterdam 2/07

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Jennifer - I´ve had an idea. Why don`t you just not get off the ship? Hide in a life boat until we sail (ala Titanic) and stay on another week! I´m sure no-one will notice, and the others on our week sound like a load of fun - we`ll have a blast!!:D

I know how you feel about sailing alone - I´m "squeezing" in a med cruise in 2 weeks time, and although there are loads of people on the week before, and loads of people on the week after - apparently no-one is sailing on 8th Oct, despite the ship being sold out!!:rolleyes:

Hey PT & Lew, how are you? Time is moving along, not so long now. Flights, hire car & hotel are all sorted too.

Do you think it`s too early to write to the cruise director and ask him about a "meet & greet"?

I would love to stay on board for the Holiday sailing (anything to keep from having to visit WAY TOO MANY relatives I barely know) but unfortunately I have a young daughter who is expecting Santa to slide down our chimney Christmas Eve. She is 7 and I think we still have a couple of years before we can do Christmas morning NOT at home....

Actually I rarely meet people from this board when I cruise so I guess it's not all bad. I'm just so excited and I want other folks tot alk to BEFORE we leave!

Taf, when are you heading over here? How long is your total trip - surely you are not flying all that way just to cruise for a week? Will you remain in Florida or visit other states?

Hi all!

Jennifer - I´ve had an idea. Why don`t you just not get off the ship? Hide in a life boat until we sail (ala Titanic) and stay on another week! I´m sure no-one will notice, and the others on our week sound like a load of fun - we`ll have a blast!!:D

I know how you feel about sailing alone - I´m "squeezing" in a med cruise in 2 weeks time, and although there are loads of people on the week before, and loads of people on the week after - apparently no-one is sailing on 8th Oct, despite the ship being sold out!!:rolleyes:

Hey PT & Lew, how are you? Time is moving along, not so long now. Flights, hire car & hotel are all sorted too.

Do you think it`s too early to write to the cruise director and ask him about a "meet & greet"?

Hey Taf - I didn't know you were doing the med! What ship are you on and where are you going?

I don't think it's too early at all!!! I've never done that before though have you?

Can't wait to go snorkeling and see all the fish! My daughter and I had a GREAT time snorkeling off the private island with Princess last year.:) :)

Welcome Jennifer - I bet we could arrange a vist from Santa - I KNOW he will be on board and then maybe there could be presents when you get home too. Speaking of Santa & presents - Taf - did you come up with any portable gifts?

Hi Jenifer

We are doing a couple of days in FLL before the cruise and a week in Key Largo after. I would love to travel more in the States, but we only have the Christmas 2 weeks as holidays, and we like the sun, so tend to stay in Florida!!:D

Hi PT

I`m going on the Splendour of the Seas from Venice on 8th Oct. I was hoping to meet up with a bunch of "friends" from CC, and started a Roll Call, but no one has signed up! The ship is fully booked, but I guess no

CC regulars on board. It was pretty much a late decision - we live a couple of hrs from Venice - so when there were still places available, I decided to go for it! My husband and kids can`t get time off work/school, so its me, mom and mom in law - should be fun. I must admit, I feel a little guilty about those I´m leaving behind, but am easing my concience by stocking up on frozen dinners and chocolate cake for them!!! They will survive.:p

As for Christmas presents - I`m still thinking. My daughter wants an Ipod (a real one, as opposed to a cheaper MP3!!) But she has an MP3 already - I feel a little decadent buying her another - but on the other hand it would be easy to pack! Decisions, decisions. Let me know if you come up with anything - ha, ha!

how old are your kids? iPod is GREAT gift and they have a new pink one out now. Even if she already HAS an MP3, the iPod is THE MP3.....is she old enough that she might like some jewelery while in port? That way you don't have to pack it and she can wear it off the ship!

I am thinking of an MP3 for my daughter 11 but don't know if I want to go as expensive as the IPOD although she has been great with the digital camera we got her last Christmas. But she also wants a bike which I figured I could give her an IOU so she can pick it or a picture of one waiting at home. My son 17 - I'm debating about those Bose wave noise cancellation headphones. But to tell you the truth I'm afraid of their hearing loss.:confused:

Taf - I don't blame you at all. We are Cental East Coast FL and I still like to go further South in the winter just to swim!!:)

Hi Taf and everyone else. I am back after a long break from reading these boards. We sailed with Norwegian out of Barcelona a few months back so I haven't visited the Costa board for ages.

Just a reminder who we are - British couple travelling with two children (girls aged 9 and 12) and my mum coming along with us too. Originally on the 23 December leg.

However, last week we saw that the 17 December was a great price (at least it was here in the UK) so we spent a day deciding . . . and then added it to our trip! £285 adults and £85 children for the 6 nights - couldn't really say no!! So we are now on the ship for a total of 13 nights - I always find a 7 night goes so quickly, so should be great. One of the cabins is even the same for the 2 sailings so no changing cabins. Also, Roatan and Belize two of the ports - been to Belize and enjoyed that and would like to visit Roatan.

We have a villa in Orlando which we rent out so we had already booked flights out for 3 weeks. Only drawback is that we now only have 8 days in the villa afterwards - still another excuse to go out to Florida again!!

I have just got the new UK edition of the Costa winter brochure and it states that the Xmas week cruise only stops at Catalina Island instead of La Romana. If this is true, that would be great. Anyone know? Could do with a relaxing day.

Taf, still not been able to find out about the drinks package you mentioned.

Hopefully I won't be a stranger for the next few months.

Tracey

HI TRACEY!!!

YIPPEEE...I am doing my happy dance! We are on the 17 Dec cruise. I am just a hanger-on in this thread because NO ONE posts on the thread for my cruise and I was lonely.

We are bringing our 7 year old girl - sailing my husbands birthday week so it should be loads of fun.

Hi Jennifer,

Looks like you do lots of cruising! I did read your eariler post but didn't know if you would still be reading these messages as you were on the earlier sailing.

Looking forward to Roatan - what are your plans there? Visited Belize last year and went to the ruins and then on a river speedboat trip. Got to see crocodiles, monkeys and other animals in their natural habitat. Very enjoyable trip.

Taf, are you still there?

Tracey

Hi there

I´m still around, but have been away at a Trade Fair this weekend. Every now and then I have to interrupt my internet surfing and do a little work - it`s tough, but it has to be done!:(

Tracey - I don`t know what to say about the drinks package - it`s definately in our Austrian Costa broschure - beer/wine & soft drinks during dinning room meals for 10 Euro`s per day. I´ve just checked the uk website and there`s no mention of it - maybe speak to them direct? I could fax you a copy of the page through, if it helps?

Sorry you`re going to miss out on all that Villa decorating!!! What a great deal for B2B cruises! We´ve booked our flights to arrive on 21st and can`t change them - if I´d known I would have booked earlier flights - I´m dead jealous. I was going to lend you my Donny Osmond video, but I won`t now!!!!!:D

Hi Jennifer. I think it will definately be an Ipod for my daughter, and I like the sound of a pink one (she`s just turned 13 and is into all that girly stuff) - the jewellery is also a great idea. My son (10) "only" wants a Nike driver, set of Nike irons, 3 wood, putter,sand & pitching wedge - should all fit in the suitcase with room to spare, I´d say! :p Also on the wish list is a snow board and boots - will be very useful in the Caribbean. I´m telling him to think "small" - we`ll see. Glad you`ll have Tracey & her family on your sailing too.

Hi PT - my friends gave their daughter a bike when they were away on holiday. The wrapped it in ribbons and bows, took a picture and put the picture in a card with the message "This bike is waiting for it`s new owner, Faith" She was delighted, and it was something to look forward to when she got home. Maybe an idea?

How was your med cruise Tracey? I´m off on Saturday - doing the greek islands & Turkey (Ephesus, Athens, Corfu & Crete) Did you go to any of these? Any tips? We sailed with NCL years ago and had a great time.

A few years ago, we arranged to meet up with a group of people we`d been chatting to online, on a holiday website in Mexico. We had a great evening, and it was lovely to meet everyone face to face. Whenever we saw each other around the town we´d say Hi etc. It was nice to know someone there, and I´m still in touch with a couple of people.

Anyway, bye for now

Taf

Hi,

I've been booked on the Magica for a while, but just joined cruisecritic. Never been to the islands on a holiday. We arrive San Juan on Christmas nite. Do you think anything will be open? Any ideas about shore excursions? We like the beach and have a 1 and 5 year old.

Thanks!

Taf, we did the Western Med this time so didn't go to any of the ports you mentioned. Went to Eastern Med a few years ago on the Atlantica. Didn't do much in Corfu,l just took a tourist trolley bus around Corfu Town, which was nice. Had a week's holiday in Corfu once and it is one of my favourite islands. If you haven't been before, it is definitely worth travelling further afield than the capital. Paleokastristsa (spelling?) is a beautiful place to visit. Don't know how much buses, etc are and how much time you have got. Athens, are you going to the port beginning with K(???) because if you are, they built a new train link to Athens for the Olympics a few years ago. Fast, cheap and efficient. My sister went there with Princess in May and she followed our directions and found it fine. Depends where you dock as to how far the station is. Maybe a bus (too far to walk). Went to the Acropolis and had a drink in a pavement cafe and then visited the "market area". I think Ann-marie also did Crete - looked nice on the Princes bridge cam when I followed her journey, but she said the small beach next to the dock was not nice at all. Have to go further afield.

PT Cruisers . . . . what can I say . . . two cruises as well. So glad I was able to convince you and I spotted the great price. Silly not to take the extra days, wasn't it????? We will have to arrange to meet up if we are on the same two weeks. Do you have children? Mine are 9 and 12 (girls).

Booked a week in New York next February half term and we are just deciding whether or not to fly to Niagara for a couple of nights while we are there. The snow boots would come in handy, Taf! We went there when Katie was a tiny baby but in the snow it would be totally different.

Taf, I will look into the drinks package - been a bit too busy to think about this holiday but will have to start soon! I may take you up on the fax from your brochure. Forgot that your daughter was the same age as mine (Katie 13 in this school year). They will have to exchange e-mail addresses and correspond with each other. If you go into my villa website, you will get all my details from there. http://rentalvilla.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

I could still borrow your Donny Osmond video though!

Christmas night - think it would be nice to just chill on the ship and have all our food and drink catered for. Went to San Juan once before and not too much to do if we don't dock till late. I think just a quick walk to burn off dinner would suffice for us!

Tracey

PS cut and pasted from my earlier post. . .

"I have just got the new UK edition of the Costa winter brochure and it states that the Xmas week cruise only stops at Catalina Island instead of La Romana. If this is true, that would be great. Anyone know? Could do with a relaxing day."

PT Cruisers . . . . what can I say . . . two cruises as well. So glad I was able to convince you and I spotted the great price. Silly not to take the extra days, wasn't it????? We will have to arrange to meet up if we are on the same two weeks. Do you have children? Mine are 9 and 12 (girls).

My daughter is 11 (just turned) and we are on the same two weeks - 12/17 - 12/31 - Can't wait. Is your 12 more a 12 or almost 13? I am up for a NICE RELAXING Christmas myself. No cooking, no company - uh oh now I must sound like Scrooge!

Would you possibly be up for joining a private cave tubing excursion in Belize? $45/pp.

I´m off tomorrow on Splendour of the seas, very excited. The port in Athens begins with P - Pireus ?or something like that. we haven´t booked anything in advance, so will "wing it" on the day. We`re renting a car in Corfu, so will be able to explore a little then, thanks for the tip about Paleokastristsa. In Turkey we plan to SHOP - although I hate bargaining!!

I hope that the Magica does go to Catalina - I would definately prefer it, it was a lovely little Island.

So,I´m off to finish packing - nothing like a little bit of last minute panic!Bye for a week or so!

Taf

Taf, that's it, Pireus. Take the train from there into Athens. If you have a car in Corfu it is a lovely island. You can vbisit the place where Prince Philip was born (I think - I am going back a lonnnnggg time since we had a fortnight there) and we stayed south of Corfu Town. Hired mopeds and toured the island. Have a lovely holiday. Splendour was my first "large" ship (after trying First Choice, etc). You really should try the Voyager Class sometime as well - the ones with the ice rinks, my children's first experience of cruising.

PT Cruisers, my 12 year old is quite a young 12 (if you are thinking of innocence and playing with toys with her younger sister!!) but tall like her dad. She gets on with everyone. Will think about the cave tubing. we were booked on the Norwegian Sun a few years ago but the tour company in the UK went bankrupt and we lost our holiday. The itinerary included Roatan and Belize (which is why I would like to go to Roatan) and I had my husband and brother-in-law booked on Reggies (?) cave tubing as their birthday / Xmas presents. Don't know if Simon would go by himself though - but good price. How many extras are you looking for? I would quite like to take the girls on the river boat ride as they would love to see the animals in their natural habitats (and I have a back problem so the jerks would probably not be good for it and I would suffer the rest of the time). Is it $45 per person or cheaper for children (maybe my eldest would like to go with Simon)? Speak to you soon,

Tracey

Is it $45 per person or cheaper for children (maybe my eldest would like to go with Simon)? Speak to you soon,

Unforunately, it is $45 for adult or children. We need one more so let me know. With regard to the girls - I was just thinking Kendall just turned 11 and so if your daughter was almost 13 ???? But it sounds like it might work out great.

Tracey

No Katie turned 12 this year. She gets on well with her cousin who is 10. She gets on better with younger rather than older - I suppose because she has always mixed with younger children.

Will have a think about the cave tubing. Do you want one more or at least one more?

Archived