Sea Dream or Seabourn

SusanNJ

Interesting question Susan as I have been asking the inverse of your question on the SB board:p

There are others SeaDreamers who have sailed both lines and I am sure that they will share their thoughts.

My sense is that one of the major differences is that SD is less formal ... no tuxes or gowns. SD has wonderful shaded deck space ... the Balinese sun beds are wonderful ... and the pool is aft so you can be in the hot tub or the pool and you can watch where you have been.

The cabins are smaller on SD and the room service menu is limited. There is no course by course dining ensuite on SD.

I am sure others will add their comments.

• 1 month later...

Hey Jen, how are you? You're on the Seabourn Dec. 2 Barbados-Barbados cruise, aren't you? I came across SeaDream also and those balinese sunbeds just knocked me out..... Although I also love Seabourn, I'm interested in SeaDream's even smaller size line. Anyone sailed with them as a single? Wondering about the single supplement. They also look more expensive than Seabourn?

thanks.

Jane :)

Hi Jane & Jen-

We are also in the SeaDream/Seabourn decision process. We are holding a cabin on the 4/1 Transatlantic on the SB Legend and then have 2/18 held on the SDII. My gut says that SD may be more our speed - no formal nights, a port a day and you are both right - those Balinese beds look like stunners! We are also toying with the idea of doing Windstar on 2/11 - the rate is attractive, it seems like a unique experience and can we really drink $1,000 pp a week at the bar!

Reality is we want warm weather (Chicago winters are killing us!) and don't want to sail with 3500 of our closest friend. I think that these are really our best options. Does it sound like we are on the right track?

Hi Jane and ORD!

We are on the Dec. 9 to 16 SB cruise Barbados to Barbados so we will embark as you disembark Jane:(

I will tell you that it was a very hard decision for us to move over to Seabourn from SD after sailing with SD the last two winters. We are originally from Philadelphia and although we live in a more temperate climate we still like to escape to the Caribbean in that Nov/Dec timeframe.

One of my dear friends, who goes by Frequent Traveler on these boards, has sailed SD as a single. As a matter of fact, last November she did the trans-Atlantic on SD and LOVED it. If you search this board you will find her travelogue from that trip.

As SD becomes more popular there are less frequent discounts so for this winter they are more expensive, right now, than SB. We are saving about $1,000 per person by sailing on SB instead of SD this year with both being all-inclusive.

ORD it sounds like you are on the right track with SD:D DH camps out on those Bali beds for most of the trip ... he love reading, snoozing and watching the world go by from those beds. Actually he and another friend of ours (Hi Ctbjr!) hang out in the "office" most of the day ... or at least they pretended to "work" from the booth at the Top of the Yacht that is right next to DH's favorite Bali bed:p

SD is in an incredible experience ... DH and I have said that our cruise last year on SD was absolutely perfect. Mostly schedule and then pricing are what sent us to SB for this winter's trip.

We have sailed on Disney, RCCL, Princess, HAL as we as bareboated on a 38-foot sailboat in the BVI. When I started looking at smaller luxury lines I was convinced that it had to Seabourn ... but then I literally stumbled onto SeaDream's website ... and we were hooked.

I suspect we will be back on SD next year ... We love the service, the small intimate ship and the feeling that we are family when we are on board ... no formal nights, no schedules, now shows ... just good friends, outstanding food and impeccable service.

DH and I just celebrated our birthdays last week. Each of us received a wonderful email note from Capt. T on SD. I can't imagine anywhere else but on SD where the Capt. would send you a Christmas card, a note for a birthday or invite you to his cabin for drinks before the Capt's dinner (I actually think that the company that we kept that trip helped arrange that treat as well as the special dinner on deck:p)

I can't imagine anywhere else but SD having the incredible hotel/restaurant staff (especially the invaluable Christophe) that would surprise you with your favorite meal including madelines with the creme brulee, served at a wonderful table outside, overlooking the lights off of Florida (sigh).

Let's just say that I have high expectations going into this SB cruise but I don't know if they can come close to delivering the incredible experiences we have had on SD.

Hope that helps ... if you have more specific questions from the SD side please ask away.

Well that was a great review of SeaDream, and I hope to able to sail with them someday soon. I'm disappointed I'm missing you in Barbados, though Jen...wish I were on for two weeks in December, but only one for me this time.

Thank you so much for the thorough review....you sound very well traveled and I appreciate your input.

Jane :)

I wonder if Ctbjr will count that as my review since I owe one from the November sailing:p:D:p

I wish you were sailing with us as well Jane. Unfortunately DH will be in Sweden the week of Dec. 2 so that week was out for us. I appreciated your posts and comments from your first SB cruise. I really believe that once you jump to these smaller ships that it is hard to go back to the big ones. We will sail on RCCL when DD wants to join us ... although we are kicking around Paul Gaugin in Tahiti next year ... oh decisions! SD in the Med or Gaugin in Tahiti:p

One evening DH arranged for us to sleep on the Bali bed on the bow of the ship ... it is an extra large covered Bali bed that you can reserve for an evening. The wonderful housekeeping staff had made up the beds, complete with many wonderful pillows and those incredible sheets and duvet. We slept out under the stars until about 4:30 a.m. ... which means that someone owed us a drink at the Top of The Yacht Bar :D Of course he got off easy as SD is all inclusive.

Now that sounds absolutely heavenly.....sleeping out on the ship on one of those balinese beds...how completely wonderful! I'm so happy for you and your hubby, what a delightful experience that will be :) !!

Funnily enough, I was also looking at the Paul Gauguin ship for Tahiti next year. I like to scuba, and had a fantastic time in the Caribbean. Although I have been to Tahiti, it was a decade ago and I was only on Moorea...so those cruises sound great. I have a friend who went on Paul Gauguin with her boyfriend and they loved it.

I don't have enough time or money to do everything I want though. Aaaugh!

Jane :rolleyes:

We really do love our SD cruises ... I am hoping that our experience on SB is magical as well.

DH and I met last week with our financial planner ... the standing joke during lunch was that I would book an around the world cruise if something happened to DH ... actually they were close, I would book a cabin on SD for a few years:p

I'm traveling solo on the SD1 crossing next April and the supplement is 25%. I received an email from Seadream and the fall crossings are with no supplement now I think !! It seems all of these ships are getting more popular . I booked the Miss M Pride crossing 2 years ahead and the supplement was already at 50%:eek: .

I'll have to say I won't miss the course by course ensuite dining !! I moved in August; into a new house I built and I have a nice sleek new kitchen which even has a Schonbek chandelier in it ... my ensuite dining here has been limited to 3 bags of microwave popcorn and a couple of frozen dinners and that's my ensuite dining here :p Don't wanna stay at home to dine :eek: :D Either ship I'll be in public dining!!!!! :-)

( I didn't build this house to live in :p )

I almost spewed my diet tonic and Tanqueray all over the screen after reading your ensuite dining menu at home Archipelago:)

Interesting email about no supplement on the fall crossing. DH and I were booked for the fall crossing but DH's work schedule made it impossible:rolleyes: Maybe I should run away for a week :cool:

You will meet many wonderful people on the SD crossing ... and I am sure you won't be dining alone.

I think it's those sunbeds, I really do. By the way, with a hundred people onboard and only a dozen or so of those things...how do you get one when you want one without being a sunbed hog? Dueling it out with swords? Rock, Paper, Scissors? Arm wrestling for them?

I'm eyeing the 2007 Portugal crossing to San Juan, and then a San Juan/San Juan 7 day for diving purposes. I wish!

Jane :p

Jen if you ever get to Hickory to shop for furniture etc. let me know and if I can be off I will take you to the club for lunch !!!:) Mother is trying to get me ready for the Avian flu . She has brought me a case of masks , paper plates , cups , forks etc. my pantry is getting full with cans of pinto beans , spinach , fruit , green beans, soup ..... BUT I ate the popcorn:) .

When it arrives here we won't be able to go out :eek: If it comes I hope that I will be in the middle of the Atlantic on SD1 on a Balinese bed !!!:D

Ahh ... those sunbeds. Words can't describe how wonderful it is to lounge on those beds!

DH and I actually board the ship, change into our bathing suits and cover ups, grab our book and head to the Bali beds as soon as we board. Nothing like drinking champagne, nibbling on shrimp and unwinding in the Caribbean sun.

There is no Bali bed hogging ... there are so many wonderful outside spaces - Bali Beds, Top of the Yacht Club tables and chairs, Bali Beds and Hammocks on the bow, tables and chaises pool side ... actually I am a little concerned about shaded outside spaces on SB. DH and I have our favorite spot and folks seem to respect that as you fall into a rhythm ... as a matter of fact the crew joke with me about my routine .... coffee for DH on the Bali bed before breakfast, Pelligrino with lime, a Grand Mimosa .... an umbrella for shade for DH ... before lunch:)

Sounds like a wonderful trip Jane!

Love your idea on battling the Avain flu Archipelago:D Would love to join you for lunch! Maybe I can talke FT into joining us. If you get this way let us know and we can compare SD notes.

NC launches the powerball lottery this week. I'm buying the tickets solely with the goal of buying my own cabin on SD -- then I wouldn't have to worry about losing my space to a charter!!

Jen - should the 3rd annual girls run away from home trip be a fall 2007 crossing on SD? DD and DS will still be here to chaffeur your DD should she wish to stay with us.

FT

Jen - should the 3rd annual girls run away from home trip be a fall 2007 crossing on SD? DD and DS will still be here to chaffeur your DD should she wish to stay with us. FT

That might be a fun cruise to sign up for......

I'll be right behind you in the line for the powerball (actually DH is the lottery player, go figure:p )

I think the Fall '07 crossing would be an EXCELLENT Girls' Run Away From Home (GRAFH ... yikes can I say that around all these legal types:eek: ).

We would of course invite Ctbjr and his DW and Jim and Lois and anyone else who wants to join. DS and DD may have to hang with my DD giving DH's travel schedule. Still waiting to see what this year's GRAFH trip looks like:D

Well...I just picked myself up off the floor. SeaDream came back with a fare of eleven THOUSAND dollars for a two week Caribbean cruise for one person. Great balls of fire, as Scarlett would say. I think I'll have to stick to Seabourn; around $6,400 for a two week Caribbean cruise.

Who knows...maybe one day I'll be in the chips and can try out those Bali beds..in the meantime...you that are sailing on SeaDream, have a great time FOR me, will you?!

Jane ;)

Yikes Jane!:eek:

Historically SD will drops its fare in the Caribbean if the ships aren't filling up as fast ... I know that one of friends was able to pick up a great deal on the cruise we took last year from West Palm to STT ... the rate we had was about 25-30 percent off brochure price ... but I think that the more successful SD is at filling the ships the fewer discounts we will see:rolleyes:

WOW, can you pick a different week to bring the cost down at all? The rates do vary as you can see on the SD site. That does seem awfully high. Maybe your TA can keep an eye out for any specials with lower single supplements on SD.

Well, I think I made my decision. My Travel Agent just called to let me know that SD informed him the 2/18/07 sailing we were holding a cabin on has been chartered. They offered us a 25% discount and a $200 shipboard credit if we changed sailing dates. They have the week prior available (we wanted to go somewhere warm in February), offered to match our 2/18 cabin price (which was lower than what was being offered on 2/11) then apply the 25% discount. That brings us basically into the ballpark of where we are at for our sailing to Alaska this Sunday.

SeaDream, I think you may have a new convert! :D

Archived