Small/Small vs. Big/Small or Wind/Cloud vs. Shadow/Whisper?

House With Trillion

Friends of ours asked if we preferred the smaller Silversea ships to the larger ones. We've only been on one of each and our voyages were a couple of years ago.

We didn't find the ships to be that terribly different, so my advice would have been to pick the cruise that visits the ports you like best.

I'm not really comfortable giving this advice because of our limited experience. Can any of you who've been on multiple sailings of different vessel sizes help out?

Friends of ours asked if we preferred the smaller Silversea ships to the larger ones. We've only been on one of each and our voyages were a couple of years ago.

We didn't find the ships to be that terribly different, so my advice would have been to pick the cruise that visits the ports you like best.

I'm not really comfortable giving this advice because of our limited experience. Can any of you who've been on multiple sailings of different vessel sizes help out?

Hi!

I consulted my friend, who happens to adore Silversea, and has cruised on the larger and smaller ships. (Wind, Cloud and Whisper)

He expressed that although he loved the intimacy of the Wind and the Cloud, he loved the Whisper because of the larger public rooms, the warm decor and felt that the suite accomodations were a bit nicer.

I see you live at the BFT. So do I!

Host Dan

............. larger suites, better buffet breakfast, larger outside terrace at the rear of Terrazza, more "nooks and crannies" to get away, more space per passenger, Humidor, newer feel .................

You forgot the bathrooms!! The Whisper and Shadow have double sinks and both a stall shower and a tub. The suites are slightly larger, as mentioned. The Dining Rooms on the smaller ones are quieter. We have sailed multiple times on all 4 ships and we go for the itinerary. The smaller ships do not have Observations Lounges...the gym is there now. That is a serious consideration when cruising fijords (sp?) and cooler climes. On the smaller ships, the suites on 6 closest to the lobby may get noisy occasionally, as folks gather there and greet each other early in the morning. On the larger ships, the Reception, Tour areas, etc. are on 5. Hope this helps.

Our first SS experience was on Shadow, last April , to the W. Med. We found it to be a smaller version of Regent's Voyager. We had no complaints. We did private excursions with a couple that we met, and they are meeting us on Wind on May 24th. for mainly Croatian ports.

I will report when I return, in June.

Our first SS experience was on Shadow, last April , to the W. Med. We found it to be a smaller version of Regent's Voyager. ......

........... and this is because one of them - Navigator I believe but not certain - was built for Silversea. They are from the same design stable. Look closeley and you'll see something very close to Whisper/Shadow.

Jeff

I thought the Navigator was originally built as a Russian ice breaker (not sure if this is correct term), then taken over by RSSC and converted into a cruise ship. I don't think it was built for SS.

I think you should have a proper look at a picture of it! And the layout. I'm 90% sure it was built for SS but not taken - a slightly larger Shadow and in step with the "new plan".

edited to add better side by side pictures of Navigator and Whisper/Shadow

http://www.galaxsea.com/ships/radisson/navig.jpg

http://www.galaxsea.com/silver.jpg

Jeff

From elsewhere on this very website:

The 33,000-ton, 490-guest Seven Seas Navigator debuted in the fall of 1999. The all-suite vessel features 245 ocean-view suites, 90 percent of which have private balconies. The Navigator was once a Soviet research vessel, which the line purchased, stripped, and converted into a modern luxury cruise ship. It was the first all-suite ship for Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=131

Of course, it doesn't say that the ship wasn't built for Silversea, but it did belong to the Soviets :-)

The hull of the Navigator originally belonged to the Soviets. RSSC took over the empty hull and had Yran & Storbraaten of Oslo build the interior and superstructures. As this marine architect designed all four Silversea ships, there were a lot of similarities, but the Navigator had nothing to do with Silversea. One other thing, perhaps since the hull and the interior of the Navigator may not be perfectly compatible, that ship is know to have some vibration problems, especially towards the stern. The above information can be obtained easily on the internet. Perhaps a ship expert like GoEurope may like to explain this in greater detail. Hope this helps.

okay, so it was built as a Russian research vessel and not an ice breaker (I knew that term was wrong) but I don't think it was ever meant for SS. I have actually been on the Navigator for a tour when she was in San Francisco and noticed immediately the similarity of the layout to SS. My guess is that was more a case of copying than SS planning it. However, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

They both had the same naval architect in the same boat building yard in Genoa.

The original hull of the navigator has been variously described - including a Russian spy ship, but one thing is sure is that at one stage it was offered to SS and they concluded that retro-fitting was too expensive. This is "sort of" documented.

I said I was 90% sure because I was told by an impeccable source who should know - but my 10% uncertainity is that sometimes people get things wrong however well connected they are! However the coincidences are remarkable:-

1. The hull was offered to SS by a Russian broker but taken by Radisson. It was never completed as anything and never registered before Radissons ownership and Navigator is its first name. SS decided at some stage that whilst initially looking good-value retro-fitting would be a nightmare - the size of craft might not be what SS were going to be about and so decided against. The question is at what stage. The offer was made to senior vice president of vessel operations (at the time) Robin Lindsay.

2. As previously stated in the thread the Scandanavian architects were the arhcitects that SS always uses.

3. It was built at Mariotti.

4. Mariotti is where the Lefevbre family are based and they like the dockyard because of historical ties and because they can physically see their ships being built.

5. The design and layout is undoubtedly the SS flavour and influences.

I cannot produce any killer evidence but the source of my info and the above coincidences at least makes me reasonably certain that the story has high probabilities. I don't think anyone really knows for absolute sure that is telling.

Jeff

ps edited to add - I guess it doesn't really matter - so let's not fall out about this ...............

what kind of dog is that? Looks just like my westie-mix.

Sorry for the delay in answering you. We just got back from vacation.

He's of uncertain pedigree, but from the way he acts his must be a royal bloodline. :rolleyes:

We're not sure really, which is why he's "One in a Trillion".

• 3 weeks later...

well, sorry to say, but size does matter. we have been on all four ships. have sailed silversea about 150 days. we love them all. much depends on the staff and the cruise director. but the fact is that on the shadow and whisper, the cabins are bigger, the silver suites make a real difference, the outside areas are more spacious and the computer room and cigar room are great.

the cloud and wind are great. we have spent months on them. but we look to the shadow and whisper first.

Archived