AVOID Park West Galleries Auction at Sea

You are right. It's the lies I don't like. But the VERY same thing can be said about the port and shopping guides. Have you ever been to those shows? We go for the laughs....but what garbage they say.

This past cruise, the P&S guide said that the sunglasses at Del Sol have a lifetime guarantee..."just send them to the address listed and they'll send you back new sunglasses" Not once did he mention how much you must send for shipping and handling. He even said it's good for loss. Now that should make it obvious that they aren't worth the shipping and handling that he never mentioned. Mine broke the second time I wore them. At least I won them, too, at a show.

Gina

Excellent point. I guess you just have to go on these ships with your "buyer beware" sunglasses on. :)

Reeran: So are you advising that Park West's art should be bought as a souvenir of their trip, and appreciate that it will be just a bit more expensive than say a postcard?

If you read my post you will understand...I'm not advising anyone, I am simply stating that to purchase this "art" as an investment unless you are knowledgeable in the field of art may not result in the best outcome. However if you really love a piece of art and can afford it, buy it as a souvenir not an investment. FYI there are a lot of things that are " just a bit more expensive than a postcard" but believe it or not people do buy them!;) Your point is not really clear...:confused:

Buyer beware is the key!!

Here is an update on our situation , this is specially for Pooh8941:

The Story:

We were on Adventure of the seas last December, we bought a Tarkay from the rack that they had in the back of the room. It was a TO and coming from the rack we didn't have to pay the 15% premium, they added the appraisal $35 automatically and made it sound like we had to get it, we made them take the appraisal off.

We had 2 auctioneers that week (lucky us) the girl was leaving after our cruise and he was taking over. When we were inquiring and buying the Tarkay my wife asked about a Zamy Steynovitz, the auctioneer told us that she had one in the closets that was signed by the artist (he died a couple of years ago) and she said that we can have it for $150 and would bring it out the next auction.

Two days later at the auction she said that she couldn't find it but she had a similar one for the same price, we insisted that it should be hand signed by the artist. The two auctioneers showed us the picture of the print on canvas on her pc and read it to us that it said it was hand signed by the artist. When we went to pay for it againg we insisted taht it must be signed by the artist and they both promised that it would be, we remindedd them that he was dead a couple of years ago and this would be an older piece regular edition that was hand signed by the artist. We also had them frame it ($85).

Resolving it:

Park west wait 8 to 10 weeks to deliver your art to make sure that you pay your credit card bill, that way they have you by the balls. What they didn't expect is that we did not pay that portion of our credit card bill, we emailed visa and told them that it was in dispute because we didn't receive the piece. a couple of days later the credit card company called and recommended that they get our credit back for the piece so we won't be liable to pay for it.

A week later surprise the piece showed up, I had the FedEx guy watch me open it carefully and inspect it. What they sent was the same image, a PP printer proof edition with the estate sealed and of course not signed. This was printed long after he died. I repacked it carefully and refused the delivery, the FedEx guy was very good about it.

A couple of days later Park west called, trying to resolve the situation. I told them that I opend it and inspected it before refusing it, they freaked out that I did that. I told her what I received was not what I paid for, she didn't know the difference between a regular edition, a AP, a PP and and HC yet she told me she was an art historian, I told her I was a professional artist and studied the art of printmaking. I asked her to tell me the difference between AP, PP and Hc, she told me they were all exactly the same. I tried to explain to her the difference, she became very upset and passed me on to her supervisor.

After explaining the whole story to her supervisor and told her that both auctioneers promised more than once that the piece was numbered and hand signed by the artist. She said no problem that they were going to refund me minus the shipping and the premium fee. I told her that the whole thing was already taken off my visa bill and I had no intention of paying anything since it was not what I paid for. I also told her that if she send me another one (even if its another image) numbered and hand signed by Zamy Steynovitz for the same price, I would be more than happy to accept it. I told her that I refuse to pay anything and reminded her that this is fraud and that they are being sued by many people for the same thing.

She said that she couldn't send me a hand signed by the artist for that price and she was going to contact the auctioneers to verify what I said was true.... Yes and I was born yesterday

Now when they bill me again for the 15% premium and the shipping fees, I will explain to the credit card company that I did not receive what I paid for. Let them fight it out with the credit card company. Visa has much more power and pull than I do. If this doesn't work, I will contact Royal Caribbean, tell them my story and get them involve.

PS: $150 for a numbered, hand signed Steynovitz is not that outrageous, you can still get them for that price on the internet, already checked it out and I know that they are authentic and can be returned for a full refund.

AHHHHHHHHHHH....... Never again park west, screw you

ezi-amy,

I'm with you. I left out all the credit card company calls, registered letters, etc when I posted. Your post helped me relive it all again. They did the same thing with me, withholding delivery until my card had cleared, but I didn't foresee to cancel. Aside from all the work required to protect one's self from this fraudulent behavior of Park West, the real story (for me) was the emotional toll it took. I was in real anguish, knowing I was dealing with crooks, they had my money, and I had no recourse except to constantly call and write and persist in trying to get a refund. Those who buy a $100 print and are happy are very very lucky they didn't buy something expensive. My mistake was in assuming that since they were on Royal they were legit.

JJ

• 4 weeks later...

We made the mistake of ordering a print from them in December when we were on the Seranade. After numersous phone calls checking on my order-Today 10 weeks later they tell me they cannot fufill my order and will run a credit on my CC but it can take 30 days.

They do not have the print to sell- what a racket! I called RC their customer complaint department and all she would do was take my information and file the complaint- would not due anything to make it up. I said I have two upcoming cruises booked and thought since this is one of their vendors the least they coudl do was give me some shipboard credit etc, and I was told " we do not offer anything for vendor errors" They need to give that to you.

Please do not use this company, they have had my money for 2 1/2 almost 3 months- I would never get my money back if I had not been calling to complain. I guess they think people will just wait months on end for their art.

SASSIN2, consider yourself lucky.

In these situations they usually send you a cheaper or fake art with the same image. Contact your credit card company, they will get your money back much faster.

Want to remind everyone, if you ever buy arts from anywhere DO NOT, DO NOT pay that portion of your credit card bill until you receive and inspect your art. Send a letter or call your credit card company, tell them that it is in dispute and your did not receive your art work (it is very easy to do and will only take a couple of minutes). If it takes too long your credit card company will contact you and ask your permission to retrieve credit refund from parkwest. If you item arrives late and it is what you ordered and you still want it you can keep it, they will re-bill you for it.

Parkwest will try very hard to keep the 15% and the shipping charges, tell them that you will not pay them because they lied and did not not send you what you ordered. Parkwest wil ignore you and fight you for every penny BUT if you did not pay your visa bill, they have to deal with your credit card company and they can not fight Visa or Mastercard, they are too powerful and parkwest need them to run their business.

After numerous cruises and first hand dealings sitting through their auctions, BEWARE! These are not in any way good investments or for that matter good purchases. If you want to buy something at auction that you like, buy it. Knowing however, you can get the exact same pieces online for less money.

I said I have two upcoming cruises booked and thought since this is one of their vendors the least they coudl do was give me some shipboard credit etc,

You wanted shipboard credit for a transaction in which you will get all your money back?

These trivial demands for shipboard credit are getting a little out of hand and make it difficult when there is a real problem.

• 2 months later...

WOW WOW WOW...

News Flash... We got of Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas this morning.

Oasis had their own auction and I was told by the auctioneer that by the end of August paskwest will be gone from ALL the Royal Caribbean Ships.

Good for RCI I guess they got tired of being sued or they finally found their sense of value. From what I saw they seem to be honest, they sold originals and limited edition prints and they also were selling posters for $120 which included shipping and framed (they did say that they were posters not original work of art).

RCI auction did not add 15% at the end of the auction and they included the frames.

WOW WOW WOW...

News Flash... We got of Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas this morning.

Oasis had their own auction and I was told by the auctioneer that by the end of August paskwest will be gone from ALL the Royal Caribbean Ships.

Good for RCI I guess they got tired of being sued or they finally found their sense of value. From what I saw they seem to be honest, they sold originals and limited edition prints and they also were selling posters for $120 which included shipping and framed (they did say that they were posters not original work of art).

RCI auction did not add 15% at the end of the auction and they included the frames.

What´s the news flash:confused:

This has been announced by RCI quite a while ago.;)

I sailed with you on the Adventure in December. I am glad to read your professional opinion of Park West. :D

Alexis

What´s the news flash:confused:

This has been announced by RCI quite a while ago.;)

If you look at ezi-amy back posts you will see they post very seldom on here. Not everyone is addicted to CC like so many of us. :D

I think one should buy with caution in all areas on the cruise ships.

if you are going to the auctions with the intention of having some fun, and picking up some prints to decorate your home, and for memories of your trip, then have a blast and do it. You are not going to get a great art investment on a cruise. Just like if you buy jewelry or clothing on board. Buy it for the fun of buying something on vacation, and the memories it gives you. "duty free" is just tax added on the price. You can find the cameras, watches, or whatever for the same or even lower back home. Does that mean you shouldn't buy? heck no, you are on vacation, there is excitement to shopping on board, and sporting that new bauble at dinner that night! And when you wear that piece, or look at that lithograph, or print, you will remember what a great cruise you had.

Archived